Windows 7 rc available

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Well just got it installed on mine but I have a problem. On the type of installation screen there was two options: upgrade and new installtion (or something). I chose the 2nd option and told it to install onto my C drive where I, at the time, had Vista installed. However, it installed onto my C drive without asking me whether I wanted to formar or not. Instead, it said it would create a "windows.old" folder with all the Vista files and folders. Did this happend to anyone else? as I now have a 40gb folder on my C drive that I don't want nor need.

I recently partitioned my hard drive so that I could backup all my important files before I gave Windows 7 a go. I made a slight mistake in that I didn't create the 2nd partition as a logical partition so now both partitions are listed as being primary partitions. I'm not sure if this would matter though?

If the partition already contains a windows OS then Win7 will add it's self to that partition.

On the screen (during install) where you chose the partition, there's a button at the bottom of the list for advanced options. You can now format the partition, then continue as normal.

You can use Partition Magic (or whatever) to change the 2nd partition to be logical. This *might* change drive letters though....so be prepared for OS on 2nd partition to not want to play anymore. If 2nd partition is just for files etc....then changing to logical won't matter.

I have 2 primary partitions and neither XP, Vista or Win7 have complained.

Last edited:
Ah, I obviously didn't spot the advanced options option then:(. Suppose I could just run the .iso again and format that way to get rid of the old files.

I dunno if it's because it's not the full thing, but unlike on Vista, the option to change the location of the "user" area (C: \users\username) isn't there. However, that might explain the padlock icon on the folder itself.

Has anyone tried using utorrent on Windows 7? I can only download something for a few minutes before my computer just completely locks up (can't even move the mouse). I was getting a few BSODs and that was due to me using a Vista 32-bit graphic card driver on a 64-bit edition of Windows 7 (this was because my C drive didn't actually get formatted). Since then the BSODs have gone but I'm still get lock ups but only when using utorrent.

Not tried uTorrent under Win7....I have a 2003 server for that.
What antivirus have you installed? I noticed that AVG under Win7 caused network problems i.e. UT didn't list servers properly....maybe related?

I'm using Avira AntiVir.

Can somebody also try Daemon Tools on Windows7? I heared it won't run properly.

I´ve been running the RC 1 since it came out and it seems to run very very well. Pete mentioned it beeing slow but i think as you said yourself that you only dedicated 1 gb ram for it is the reason. My laptop has 2gb atm and i didn´t notice any problems so far.

I´ve been running the RC 1 since it came out and it seems to run very very well. Pete mentioned it beeing slow but i think as you said yourself that you only dedicated 1 gb ram for it is the reason. My laptop has 2gb atm and i didn´t notice any problems so far.
I'm sure running it as primary OS instead of a secondary inside a VM (on a PC bloated with programming and designing tools open) makes a difference... ;)

hmmm is it worht installing this OS on my new computer back home. Put a new computer together this week and still thinkking of XP vs WIN7.....

i know every setting in XP and know where to find stuff. Still i want to try new things cause its nice. But i really CBA problems with driver problems and so on and so on. What happens when the RC is over and "official" verision is released? Do i need to reinstall whole OS then and all programs.

What to do what to do?!...;)

GOnna isntall tomorrow on my comp. What would you have done. Everything runs smooth and nice with 7? =)

Any knowns big problems? showstoppers for me ? =)

give me more info!!!!!!!!!!