Some PUG ideas...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
Some of these may already be in place, but can I be bothered to check? Of course not! :D:D:D:D:D1111

Just read them and let me know if you think any / all / none / all / all of them are good ideas:

SERIOUS IDEAS

Stats:

Tie the server in with a stats page, letting everyone see how well they did. There could then be MotM awards or player of the month, etc. Not including w1sh, who can fo lengthways up a tree.

Captain who lost present round picks map for the next round:

This would help balance out all those 4-0 pugs, since the captain who lost one round would be in a position to reverse his team's fortunes by picking the next map (he'd still have to def first though).

Sub list:

Everyone can sign for a pug within say five minutes, then the bot closes the playerlimit based on how many people are signed (if it's an odd number it can wait for one more then close it). If more than 12 people sign within 5 minutes the bot asks for captains, then the caps are able to choose their players from however many are signed. Once the playerlimit is filled in this way the bot closes and the caps can pick maps. I realise this might mean weaker players being constantly left out in favour of strong players, but then this situation would not occur very often, since there is a time limit of 5 minutes on each signup window. If there are more than 12 people signed but only 12 people actually playing in the pug, the remainder can act as designated subs for anyone who might have to leave. In this way they might still get a game, and also there would be no unfair subs any more, since caps would have left out the weaker players anyway, and so no weak player would ever be getting replaced by a stronger player, thereby unbalancing the pug where it was previously balanced.

TS rule:

A rule which states that any signed player must idle on the main TS channel, so that when the PUG finally starts and captains are asking people to join the server, they don't need to go hunting around on pubs for players who buggered off to mess around while they waited for the pug to start. I know irc sends a PM to signed players with their password, but not everyone has the irc sound turned on to notify them of when this happens. If they were on TS then they could hardly fail to realise the pug was starting, since people would be telling them to get in.

Pause ability:

I'm sure this used to be in the league, though I can't remember anyone using it recently. Anyway, one team can pause the pug for up to 3 minutes if they're looking for a sub or whatever. This would be no great problem in a mod which requires people to hang around in the channel for over an hour at a time.

Help file / thread:

It would be nice to have all the utapug info posted in a thread with lots of lovely colours and pictures for simpletons like Riv and Riv later that day. Like a list of the commands and what they do, as well as the amorphous rules, guidelines on what you have to do to avoid a ban (I think the current advice for that is: don't exist), proper etiquette / CoC, etc.

IDEAS THAT ARE LESS SERIOUS BUT THAT STILL SHOULD BE DONE IMO

Admins that aren't pillocks:

Torp could start an argument with a squashed fairycake; Sphere is too busy making pictures showing Flow how to connect his TS to the pug server so that his entire computer will blow up as soon as he talks; and Inspire couldn't find his own arse with a special arse-finding apparatus, a help video called Arse: How Best To Find It and a book entitled How To Find Inspire's Arse In One Easy Step. They're all pillocks and no-one likes a pillock, except Riv, who does like a pillock, ie. himself, a definite pillock.

Uzi's return:

Clay pigeon ranges can't survive without actual clay pigeons, and in the same way utapug needs uZi back. You've all done it: you join the channel, scroll down the list of names to the U's, see my name, think 'oh no, Useless is here, I can't face getting owned again, I better find something else to do', scroll farther down, see uZi's name and think 'yay, someone to lob abuse at for the next three hours until someone caps!' Banning the stupidest man on the channel was a huge mistake, as the entertainment value has been reduced by a factor of pants. Unban him Torp, shortly before you get booted for being a pillock.

Persecution of X-Bomb:

If the current pug letter is x this man alone is capable of flushing the entire thing down the toilet. I vote someone should ban him, if not for this then for something else, eg. general principle.

Everyone changes their name to Bart:

We've been trying something similar lately on DoG customs and it works a treat. No-one ever gets annoyed when they get killed by a Bart, as there is no question of being beaten by someone with greater skill than you. We all know that when a Bart kills us it can be put down to freakish luck or unfortunate accident, since when Bart kills someone it's usually while he was trying to do something else, such as accidentally binding his fire button to the F3 key. Having Barts everywhere is a great stress-reliever and can in no way be a bad idea, especially considering it was one of mine.

A ban lottery in utapug:

Since pug bans are almost mandatory now, it would save the admins *cough* a lot of time and trouble if the pug channel just handed out bans automatically and at random on a weekly basis for no reason at all. Order would be maintained, since the necessary quota of at least one inexplicable ban per week would be fulfilled; and as an added benefit we could program the bot to choose the ban candidates from a pool of one. If that person was uZi everyone would be happy. I can see no downside to this great idea and if you can then don't tell me because I don't want to hear it.

Cloning MyM:

The only problem with this is that this community ain't big enough for two MyMs, so we could maybe make him a sort of mini-MyM, or maybe a McMyM. Suggestions welcome. PM MyM with them.

Auto Riv insult transmission upon connect / disconnect / reconnect / type / idle:

I'm amazed this hasn't been suggested before now. Think about it - every time you do anything in the pug channel, including idling, Riv gets a PM containing a personalised insult. And if he's not currently in the channel the insult gets sent to his email. This would have been the first thing I would have programmed the bot to do, and by now it really should be a priority for the next version.

So these are basically all my ideas on how to improve pugging for everyone except quite a lot of people. If you have read this far go and kill yourself with a cheese slice.

:rofl: and especially @ Riv part

But one mistake in the Bart-part: I dont have a fire key. i dont wanna shoot at all, i just accidently bunnyhop until something gets triggered.

Last edited:
Stats like http://www.utassault.net/utstats/?p=utapugsummary ? although admittedly no match specific Pug totals but that should technically be possible if brajan wants to do it and it doesnt cause more load on the stats server.

Captain Rule would only work if people want to be captain for more than one pug

Sub list wont work as you cant modify present bot

TS rule, fair enough

Pause was removed due to a bug in it, its still present within LAS but could it be abused in Pugs? Would people be that petty?

There was a thread previously with pug information, currently there is onlya rules page to help you not get banned. someone came on IRC recently and said they didnt realise !pughelp was a command even though the topic every time they join has "Welcome to the UTA Pug Bot - To begin type !pughelp" Some people will just not be able to use whatever help is given :D

And for the rest :lol: although Ill answer the following one

Ive stuck in the topic that anyone thats interested in admining pug should PM me, to date Ive got 0 PMs about it, I can recruit admins that arent as you put it pillocks if someone thats not a pillock wants to apply :D

edit: you have far too much free time!

Last edited:
Admins that aren't pillocks:

Torp could start an argument with a squashed fairycake; Sphere is too busy making pictures showing Flow how to connect his TS to the pug server so that his entire computer will blow up as soon as he talks; and Inspire couldn't find his own arse with a special arse-finding apparatus, a help video called Arse: How Best To Find It and a book entitled How To Find Inspire's Arse In One Easy Step. They're all pillocks and no-one likes a pillock, except Riv, who does like a pillock, ie. himself, a definite pillock.

Uzi's return:

Clay pigeon ranges can't survive without actual clay pigeons, and in the same way utapug needs uZi back. You've all done it: you join the channel, scroll down the list of names to the U's, see my name, think 'oh no, Useless is here, I can't face getting owned again, I better find something else to do', scroll farther down, see uZi's name and think 'yay, someone to lob abuse at for the next three hours until someone caps!' Banning the stupidest man on the channel was a huge mistake, as the entertainment value has been reduced by a factor of pants. Unban him Torp, shortly before you get booted for being a pillock.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool so true , pug is a joke ran by idiots but oh well they will have there fun i guess :)

Some of these may already be in place, but can I be bothered to check? Of course not! :D:D:D:D:D1111

Just read them and let me know if you think any / all / none / all / all of them are good ideas:

SERIOUS IDEAS

Stats:

Tie the server in with a stats page, letting everyone see how well they did. There could then be MotM awards or player of the month, etc. Not including w1sh, who can fo lengthways up a tree.

We have serious problems with utstats performance. Since we started gathering all the data few years back database become a monster and it's literally raping our server. We still got some ideas on our todo list but all we can and must do in first place is to work on scripts performance. That's a reason why current stats are cached in a huge part of it. There are no (almost) live stats anymore. PUG totals are cached as well. I think they are getting re-generated once per hour or something like that ... can't really remember.
Also i think there was something preventing me from writing pug match stats just like we got league matches ... just don't remember what it was :/
MyM maybe you remember as we both looked into this problem. Was it match ID maybe?

Actually yes Brajan is right, something on the server either related to the way the bot starts a match or the settings themself are preventing stats from generating the matchid correctly This is written into the log file so that stats can associate the various maps with one match and group them together, presently its changing every map.

I never looked into it further because quite simply I forgot :D

:rofl: I have to applaud Useless for that writing. Although i didn't care about most of the content, your way of writing it can put a smile on most peoples lips. I thought i was doing a good enuff job with the random banning though.

Oh, and anyone browsing UTstats can feel what brajan mentions, its nasty. /me polishes his delete button again.

Admins:

Remove Inspire from the admin list. It is not admin behaviour.

some good points there (the serious ones) dunno if they are managable...
only part i don't like is the more people can sign :o

non so serious hard funny :spit:

lol @ what Useless said.

If Torp/Insp are admins and uZi is banned (dont know if that's true or not) that's just absolutely ridiculous. uZi is a cunt, a big cunt, a huge giant moldy rat-infested cunt, but he's our cunt and he actually knew how to be a proper admin. Torp and inspire are just a bunch of schwulkinder who act like they have poles shoved too far up their asses and consequently haven't gotten any for over two years.

Yeah, I'm really banned, Mc didn't like me making fun of him banning someone for killing him on a public and saying "d0ng" when they did :rofl:

pause is fine, if the admins are responsible enough

we used it all the time in naat and it helped when people crashed between maps, or the 30secs between finding a sub and ruining a map..

course, good luck finding a fair admin in uta that will pause without flaming....
.vote dede

the real issue is the lack of respect and flaming
above the usual cry cry cry whining :D

Status
Not open for further replies.