XP wont find dvd-drive

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Lex_Mortis

Not here
Sep 2, 2002
The Netherlands
Right.. I've been trying to fix this in every possible way, but no luck.
The dvd drive is found in bios & windows xp safe-mode.
Going back to normal mode and its gone. The drive does open and close, but thats it.
Ive also checked jumper settings for M/S and that was set properly.
And its very silly.. because I installed XP from that drive. =\

Specs: (moms puter, not mine :P)
xp home
athlon 800mhz [thunderbird]
265mb ram
ASUS DVD E608
GeForce 2 mx
(it doesnt have any other cd/dvd drives)

Its driving me nuts :(

Does it show up in device manager?

Was it working previously in this XP install, have u installed any other software since

try putting the drive as master on primary channel

check ur ide drivers, if possible go back to the default MS drivers

also try deleting any entries for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Lowerfilters
& Upperfilters

Alternatively it could be possible that some software youve installed is causing problems, have you checked event viewer to see if theres any problems listed?

Reactions: Martz
MeetYourMaker said:
try putting the drive as master on primary channel

check ur ide drivers, if possible go back to the default MS drivers

also try deleting any entries for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Lowerfilters
& Upperfilters

Alternatively it could be possible that some software youve installed is causing problems, have you checked event viewer to see if theres any problems listed?

atm the dvd is master on secondairy
default ms drivers for ide
lower and upper filters are not there..

I checked the event viewer and the system part showed quite a list of errors:
type: error, source: atapi
It says the \Device\Ide\IdePort1 didnt reply so it timed-out.
Each boot shows 12 of those errors, 10secs after each other.

Safe mode is a basic set of drivers, you should find that if u load up in safe mode and check the event viewer it doesnt show any faults for the drive. In which case try changing things like dma setting, or updating ide drivers assuming you know the mb and chipset, it could be that windows has installed via or equivalent drivers and thats whats giving you the problem, if it says "standard dual channel PCI IDE controller" then ur using XP default drivers (same as safe mode) if it says something else then ur not using default.

The HD cable looks different.. looks like there are twice as many wires in the ribbon, and a blue side instead of red. I think its SCSI. So ive put the dvddrive on a different ide cable instead.. it works now. Thx for the help m8 :cuddle: