Worth upgrading to Win XP?...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
I have been using Win98 for years now on my cruddy PC (P3 450 256 SD RAM bla bla) but I just got a new system and I'm getting it set up tomorrow night. Now people are trying to convince me to upgrade to XP while I'm at it. I tried XP before but I thought they had fixed too many things that weren't broken from 98 and didn't like it, plus I hear of a lot of people having trouble with UT under XP. So is it worth it or should I stick to 98 which never gave me any UT problems?

if you play UT1 and your happy with 98 stay on it
xp isnt as good for UT as 98 and i dont care what anyone else says ;)

If ur getting a new system ur not gunna care about the minimal speed increase 98 can give ( it uses less resources ) but xp is more stable and up to date and so piss easy to install and keep running fine.. ive had xp since the start and it never crashed ONCE nor as it caused many problems in UT that i can think of tried win2000 and got identical fps..

if you play UT1 and your happy with 98 stay on it
xp isnt as good for UT as 98 and i dont care what anyone else says

You got it wrong Rich, nobody cares what YOU say :p:

UT can be awkward on XP with some hardware, but mostly its fine, and all in all XP is leaps and bounds better than 98.

xp doesnt crash as much, but for some reason the explorer thing (ie My Computer) seems slower to me on a machine with XP with identical specs to that on win98.

Seems like they preload big files or something, ill let one of you smart arses correct me ....

/me waves at ff3330000000000rrrrrrrrr

Maybe prefetch ? it stores files u access reguarly in a folder for faster accessing i think

So is it worth it or should I stick to 98 which never gave me any UT problems?

If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
If you are truely happy with your win98 keep it. If it runs sweet with your new system keep it. If it causes some problems with your system upgrade.

Or use both at the same time.

But don't ask me I use 98SE too atm.

Can I use WIN 98SE beside WIN XP with more than 512MB RAM in my next upcomming PC?

I'm the first one to bitch and go negative when someone mentions XP... But... 98!!? Jesus christ fs.
Yes, UPGRADE. I'd still say install Win 2k over XP, but fuck sake, even XP is better than 98.
If u've got a new system, there's no point dragging it back into last century with 98.

{24}Useless said:
I have been using Win98 for years now on my cruddy PC (P3 450 256 SD RAM bla bla) but I just got a new system and I'm getting it set up tomorrow night. Now people are trying to convince me to upgrade to XP while I'm at it. I tried XP before but I thought they had fixed too many things that weren't broken from 98 and didn't like it, plus I hear of a lot of people having trouble with UT under XP. So is it worth it or should I stick to 98 which never gave me any UT problems?

It would be nice just to inform us which hardware u gonna use?
For example if u buy motherboard which is new hot thing (not older then 2 months as a model) then take XP bcoz hardware manufacturers are implementing new things which work just for XP...
If u buy for example some boards which came a Year ago like some popular nforce boards and so on, then take Windows 2000 which is anyway more stable and has already 4 service packs...

Trust me, I know what I am saying....

w98 does not fulfill the specs of an operating system

it says "an operating system is an endless running algorithm" ......

change to XP, deactivate the whole gay-looking shit and it will be fine!
UT runs smooth with xp, i used 2k for a long time 2, same stable results.

also depends on the amount of memory you have.
if you install xp you might wanna stick 512 in it
then it runs like a dream

i got a new pc and installed XP on it because 2000 couldnt detect the network card, and i am positively surprised :)

bootup time is extremely fast, no problems with any programs until now and no hardware conflicts :)

and most of it is very easy to setup imo, took me about 2 days and now all is done. you will find about the things you dont know in these forums, best support forums ever ;) :)

Last edited:
Plonko said:
Windows 386 is the one you want.

Glad I could be of help. :D

If only it existed. I deny any genetic link to Plonko. Any claimed link is coincidental and not proveable or otherwise demonstrable in fact, truth, reality or otherwise. Anyone claiming any link had better like horses heads. Especially Rich or Bungle who are both tits anyway.