Windows 2000 + UT

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

M

McNeillMI5

Hey, not sure if this topic has been put up before.
But how does Ut run on this operating system.

Most new computers come with win2k, so i was wondering how it runs.

So far , ive got good replies with win2k and ut.........

Mc

Re: Windows 2000 + UT

Played UT one week in may with win98. Since then it's been W2K all the way.

Should have >= 192Mb ram (IMHO)

Graphics drivers for Win2k tend to be worse than their 9x counterparts. Nvidias are the best but they are still slightly slower than the 9x ones. Also win2k uses more RAM, I'd recommend 128Mb more than you use 98/ME with for the same kinda perfomance.

Other than that 2k is fine for UT :)

Thanx

Phear

Don't know about win2k but I heard some really awfull things of ME and UT... They don't really thend to get a long quite nicely...

At least that's what I got told...

RE:

Im on ME and so far no probs.........i upgraded from Win98 FE and i have had a performance improvement not much but a little (btw my PC is shite also)

Re: RE:

im on a lilo boot now and running win2k 98 and redhat and ut works class on all the platforms

Well I don't know what happened to my system.

Used to have a Vodooo Bnashee, (I got it for nothing) and one day I installed Win2k, however, no drivers coz it was such an old card, and games would only run in windows, not full screen. So I re-nstalled 98 (and I did this all 2 hours b4 a clan match) :lol:

So I get a pay rise and buy 512 MB RAM and a GeForce 2MX form Creative,and then install Win2k. Sure no running games in Windows anymore, although UT was S H I T.

I got a record 24 fps on Gaurdia, fecking Guardia, possibly the smallest map, I was also stuggling on Athensphere, I used to have to wait untill the Second Assault Entrance on Bridge was open b4 I could go outside, it just killed my machine???

IMHO, I wouldn't use it, but the 5 posts b4 me seem to disagree :)

Try the game launcher for Win2k here
www.gameroffice.com/

It will set high priority to UT when it runs.. Everything else is almost non-functioning, but UT get resources ;)

This really an innocent question. Why upgrade to
anything if Windows 98 is working ok?

What are the benefits?

Apparently WinME is the final edition of 98

Nicer GUI and it seems to manage longer "straight sessions" of uptime where 98SE always used to crash after a day or so (for me anyway :P )

And thats it :) There is no real point in upgrading from 98 to SE - just do it because Bill is skint

techno freeks need to run the latest. dont you run windows XP beta yet ?

It will set high priority to UT when it runs.. Everything else is almost non-functioning, but UT get resources
That's a standard option I really miss, on my mac I could set high priority to anything. Handy when u push a ceretain program to the limits :/

I am on Milleinium and I think that is a great OS... But to tell you the truth I do not know if it is fast or what as this machine was birthed with ME and I have not tried anything else as it works so well.

Tim

ps: ACE what O system can you do that with Ace ? And how ?

Oh btw, I had W2k and UT on a V3 3000 and it an great.

No problems there.