win7 programs must be installed to C?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

kelvin

Apr 11, 2002
Sweden
dunno how many is using win7, but I found out the hard way that win-dows-fuckin-seven sux...:(

I have a 32gb SSD disc as system disc, thus dont wont to install ALL music/video/games programs to C.
Now, I got a VPN program, installed it to my D drive, and it wont start! (complained about compability mode and that the service the program needed to start was not running. I tried starting the service but it didnt work) My work mate suggested I try installing it to my system drive, and guess what, it worked....

my win7 is 32bit, and I have atleast 2 more 32bit programs installed to D drive that wont start...

So, is it true win7 cant have programs installed to other drives than the system drive?

fuck, maybe it was just the Cisco VPN then that had to be installed to C?
Oh, 3dsmax9 was installed on Drive D and dont start either :(
One of the render services is running for 3dsmax and seems to work, but the program wont start (compability screen comes up)

Havent dared install Adobe CS package yet :(

ok tnx DB, ill try that, cus i tried install Adobe CS yesterday and it FAILED to install on my D drive...:(

Are you using RC1 or the full version?
I´ve been running Win 7 professional since the beginning of september and had no problems at all installing programs to another drive than C. I even tried on a network share now just for your cause :) Works fine.

Kelvin, just found this for ya:

Some programs are "forced" to install themselves onto the Windows boot
drive. The software developer never "envisioned" that anyone would
want to install their application anywhere else.

-------------

Reminded me of something that happened me a few weeks back. I tried to install Cisco VPN client on a mini Hp laptop. During install it told me that i had to use a resolution above 800x600 and if i remember correct the mini Hp had a resolution of 800x576 which means the 576 was the reason for not beeing able to install.

I edited the code in a text editor so that it wouldnt complain anymore about the resolution. Maybe if you locate the code in those programs that forces it to use your C: drive you could do the same :)

Windows 7 owns. :rolleyes:

When it access the harddisk it even gives you CPU-Power "back" a.k.a CPU usage of -1% ;)

Last edited:
oh well, i tried right click on setup.exe for Adobe CS, "Install as Administrator" and only the content for the programs got installed, no programs :(
Strange thing is, my work mate has the same win7 32bit (WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 7600 16385 RTM X86) and everything is working for him, so must be something I've managed to do when installing it in the first place :(
Im giving up, too much hassle for me, too many programs I really want to work that dont start, maybe I will try a fresh win7 installation again, but I think I will go back to XP... :)

oh well, i tried right click on setup.exe for Adobe CS, "Install as Administrator" and only the content for the programs got installed, no programs :(
Strange thing is, my work mate has the same win7 32bit (WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 7600 16385 RTM X86) and everything is working for him, so must be something I've managed to do when installing it in the first place :(
Im giving up, too much hassle for me, too many programs I really want to work that dont start, maybe I will try a fresh win7 installation again, but I think I will go back to XP... :)

Dont go back to XP ffs, Win 7 is really good Kelvin

actually it might help to just reinstall windows 7 completely.

I use win7 at work and it feels smooth, more comfortable and quite more stable than others...I agree, dont go back to XP! :)

would just like to point out that Ubuntu Karmic beta boots in 5 seconds from an SSD and you can install programs where you want ;)

would just like to point out that Ubuntu Karmic beta boots in 5 seconds from an SSD and you can install programs where you want ;)

I gladly wait the 11 extra seconds it takes for Win 7 to boot.