Ut2k4 Demo The official what do you think of the demo Thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

as for taking feedback. this game is about expectations. the defense should know what to defend and they shouldnt be spread too thin or they feel cheated. which is why launching from A to C is a bad thing for public server play. i dont want you to just say "nice game" because that accomplishes nothing. but if you want to give input i at least expect you to play it for a while, get a feel for it and how people defend/attack, KNOW that launching and hammer jumping over the defense is NOT happening, and take it from there

No thats only if your a newb and cant think beyond one objective in your mind. Which reading your posts seems to make me believe thats what you are.

This mod wont work. I guarentee it. There will be no further moving from current assault players to this new "assault". (If there is they will come back after they get bored of the linear gameplay)

Ive played that AS-convey for a couple of hours, got bored. Thought about overlord or frigate or hispeed and said to myself. Hey, now people can stand in one route spam spam spam, then the other team can do the same. THATS TRULY INTERESTING GAMEPLAY.

As for the "bad" thing for public server play. I would suggest you get yourself some glasses. Or better still even play the UT1 Assault on any of the popular servers such as NIL, R-C and orange League too see how it 'doesnt' work.

Willhaven, i find this even more funny. Your asking to show people what you "know". By arranging a time to meet up. Yet when you cant think beyond Obj A-B-C, how can you possibly be up for the task. Isn't that far to brain power consuming :P.

[EDIT] Ill actually come to this "advanced tour" just too see how more advanced you have managed to make the teamplay :).

I haven't been arsed replying to most of these "when is it coming" / "yay its here it: a) sucks, b)is the dogs bollox, c) I have a huge penis" ut2k4 threads...

Now its here and I have played it a bit, only onslaught and assault. I like onslaught so far, as for assault, my main objection is the speed and tight areas of convoy makes the player visibility a problem for me... maybe I just need to get used to the look, or get glasses, I don't know...

And then I am a n00b again, that I quite enjoy tbh... But I have to fucking comment on this:

i know that this board would be full of the most critical people because you all have embraced the broken UT1 AS for what it is. i'm just seeing if i can get some people interested or if i can get some legitimate cool feedback on the demo that doesnt involve launching, timed objective, or spawn queue changes.

First of: You calling it broken is in itself a complete pisstake on this community, playing The Broken Game(Shame on you, buy new games fs)... we have developed the game, to something epic never envisioned, and we've done it durable enough to still have a semi vital community years after... We've done that with innovative gameplay...

Second part I can't help but read:

I am here for my gloryrun. The objections you raise the most, I wount even listen to. Please tell me how huge a cock I have.

So what will you listen to Will? Convoy imo, is nothing new, its a spammy arse and has been so each and everytime I have pld it, whats worse than ut1 for me however, is I can't even see the opponents in the area I am spamming :lol:

I don't think ut2k4 assault will do it for me, unless the other assault maps is designed in a way that significantly changes gameplay from what we see in convoy...

Last edited:
Dog pretty much summed up how i feel about all this. You might be able to fool a few people, but not everyone in this broken assault community is as naive as you may think.

ok spent almost 12 hours d/l the frigging demo..:o

I can just imagin this as map in a league match or tactic 4 the most clans @defence side

1*every1 move 2 the first objective, pick goo and the most spammy weapons and spaaam even u cant see so much cus of all shit on the map..

(after 1st objective has been taken)

2*keep spamming and push forward and taunt YOU WHORE!

(if they manage 2 get the 2nd alternative spawn)

3*every1 suicide and do guess what find a nice camping spot drink sum beer, prepear 4 massive spam, after they r dead suicide and do the same again tho u can prolly take a wank in that time also..

4* tease the attackers abit by letting them touch the timed objective so they dont need2 be as bored as the defenders r..

5* every1 wave and let the attackers take the objective so sumthing new would happen in the match.

6* repeat 3,4,5

Last edited:
so if u want a server for this 'lesson' and you can actually connect now Will, you welcome to use {R-C}'s @ 195.149.21.195:8787

If i shut down our other servers, I can get mebbe 30+ slots available for people to make teams and speccies :)

ICQ 121624092 or someone suggesta time here if you want me to set it up.

I haven’t read the thread, but in my humble opinion both Assault and Onslaught absolutely fucking rock.

I get the jist that some people here think that Convoy is too linear, narrow and spammy. The developers have said on the Atari forums that Convoy is the tightest of all the Assault maps, so it should only get better on that front.

Concerning hammer-jumping and launching, I really don’t miss them. And that Link-Gun is a God-send against a good defense — it rarely happens on pubs of course, but sometimes a good team-mate will link-up with you and you can just carve your way through a defense.

The bottom-line for me; I’m sure this thread is packed full of people with strong opinions on how Assault should be played, and most of those think launching and jumping should be in. It seems that Epic understand how they want this new version of Assault to be played and have taken many steps with the Convoy map to make sure everyone knows what the next objective is, and if there is an optional objective. I think we all need to look at the new Assault with an open mind to devise some new tactics with the brilliant new weapons; the Shield-Gun, the Link-Gun, the new Sniper.

Bottom-line; give the new Assault a fair trial. :)

The developers have said on the Atari forums that Convoy is the tightest of all the Assault maps, so it should only get better on that front.

then i cant understand y they did go whit as-convoy in the demo..if they have "better" maps to ship whit the demo.

and what dog said :clap:

@willhaven, we've tried to tell u what made AS magic for us, yet u write it off as cheezy, broken, shit etc. U've come to the UTA boards, full of people who love Assault coz it got everything. It includes fragging, tactical positions, teamwork, sumtimes even making up new launches. Yet when we see this so called 'Assault', u can expect us to make comments as sum have done already.

If u tried to make AS attractive again, y put Convoy, of all AS maps [apparantly the most narrow/linear one], in the demo, the representative of the game.

As someone mentioned (think it was munkz): Check clanbase, look how popular AS was without the 'cheezy' 'broken' boosting.

I believe it has been said before, that AS-Convoy was easy to pick up on, and learn the objectives faster than the others. Which for newbeginners would be more interesting, than having to learn and play by something called tactics and alternate routes. But that probably isn't the case, to be having alternate routes that varies so much from the main objective, that the defence will actually have to split up and cover at least a surden area of the map, instead of one objective alone?

i think the nail has been hit on the head tbh
this community and people that continually join it thrive on the broken parts of UT Assault Hammer launching, Double hammer launching and rocket launching, these broken parts of the game type are what gives us the dynamic game play we want, these are what makes Assault tense and exciting to play . having to be aware of differnt attacks making contingenceys etc

Basicaly we as a comunity have taken a Broken Game type exploited the bugs in it and over the course of a few years refind these bugs into a game type of its own .. in Epics eyes(the original game designers) what we play ISNT Assault, what they (the game designers) veiw as Assault is what we have in ut2k4.
We as a comunity have developed our own mod called "tactical recon adaptation and capture(leagueAS)" for want of a better name ... as UTA teams will run in see how the oposing team is deffending then mold there tactics to find the best way in which to capture the objective(or distroy it) be that launching, mass attacking, rippering etc etc ..then the deffence has to adapt there game to deffend our new attack stratagy ...its dynamic exciting and diverse

Epic have delivered us Assault(how they wanted the first assault) again (this time with the exploits fixed) so the only way we are going to get what we want
is to develope our own game type again adding in the parts that we want to see in the game via a mod or mutator.

for me personaly im not arsed about rocket launching i allways thought it was daft anyway ..hammer launching i allways thought should cost you health like hammer jumping does .. but the only thing i really miss in this new assault is hammer jumps or tricks .. theres no tricks in it to learn or use .. theres no growth in the game like learning how to hammer jump off differnt geometry to get to places ...even ut2k3 had an element of this with the super boost dodge which gave the game more dynamics.

im still playing it and im still getting used to UT2K4 AS but it lacks growth as far as i can see, and it will get boring because once everyone knows the maps off by heart and all the techniques used on all the maps .... thats it full stop theres nowhere else to go.

i just hope that theres the ability to create a "classicAS" mod ;)

Last edited:
OK, we will try to download the demo - if it doesnt work, we will wait till the end of March when we get ADSL.

I would like a couple of things expanded from those who have played the demo ..

whats this about a 7 second respawn delay? is that each time you die? Maps like frigate that can be over in 16 secs- 7 seconds out is forever on a map like that! :eek:

What was that Doc Edo said about time being set on teh server rather than by the mapper?? A server cant judge how long different maps take surely...

The biggest complaints I seem to hear here are about no launching and a bad demo map design, these are not really terrible things to worry about - I rely on someone to make a mod for launching and decent maps, so I am happy to ignore these two points. UT1 AS compares poorly to what we play now, so its unfair to judge UT2k4 AS on what is handed to us now - we play it, we fix it, we enjoy it :D

Be funny if thats not willhaven at all :rofl:

ahem, anyway if it is, u lot should cut him some slck, at least he continues to come to these boards, gives us info about what to expect in the final release, and listens to all u wee cocks saying "yeh come on, show us how to play it .. i dare ya". Threatening people is not a good way to get what you want, fair enuff alot of u are spoilt kids used to gettin what they want exactly how they want it if they shout loud enuff to mummy and daddy but being nice and realistic about things helps too :thumb:. Have any of you actually put urself in willhavens place? how would u like it if u spent ages developing stuff (which is fuckin class in its own right), and then bein flamed by a bunch of fannies because "its not like it used to be". You've played one map and ur writing it off already ...

In the words of my flatmate ...

Fuck away off

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would head over here and see what the Old Skool Assault'ers thought of Assault in 2k4. I've gotta say I agree with alot of the comments, The map in the demo is too linear, Would be nice to hammer onto the roof at the start, but I'm sure people will find "bugs" as Epic like to call them which can make the game more interesting. Also if any of the Old =[NPU]= players decided to head over to 2k4, give me a shout (#NPU Q-Net)

We've already got an iBR, iCTF team from 2k3, and we're looking at going into Normal weapons for Onslaught or even Assault if they Full Version maps are improved.

Also we have a Server running, either Onslaught or Assault - 212.42.16.64:27503,

Hopefully there are still people around I know ;)

Reap$=[NPU]=
Previous Names (Reaper=[NPU]=, Reapers_Revenges)

I like Rich's last comments, and think that's pretty much the situation - we don't play Epic's version of Assault 99, because that sucked ass too... Guardia is a tie, 99.9% of the time, Overlord without any launching is a tie almost all the time (I mean, cmon, a flak at the bottom of a long straight tunnel... duh)... LeagueAS is a better game all round than what Epic produced.

I just can't help but get this image out of my head of Willhaven and crowd writing Assault 99 as the most tedious, spammy, "DM in a straight line with some objectives" game and looking on in horror as it morphed into the exciting, challenging game we play now...

...and therefore setting out to "make sure" that players are forced into the "right" behaviour in the new UTAS? If it wasn't so sinister, it would be hilarious.

There's no point in explaining how AS is played now, or of describing how fun and exciting the gametype is... what you have here are guys who know what's best and therefore don't have to listen to what the players think - especially when they already have such venomous opinions about things like throwing away a nearly empty weapon, and grabbing a fresh one, or launching, or *MY GOD* completing a map out of order (GASP!)

As a display of raw arrogance, the spew that Epic have produced both here and on the Atari forums takes some serious beating.