UT2k3Assault BETA - RELEASED!!!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Doc_EDo

Mar 13, 2002
UT2k3Assault BETA - RELEASED!!!
Includes improved Assault gametype with several mutators, jumpboots, autocannons, full bot support, 3 maps and lots of fun!

Maps are as promissed:

--AS-Frigate
--AS-Rook
--AS-IceFieldz

Mutators:

--Boost and Damage Control - extreme boosting
--AntiGrav Boots Arena - Gives all players jump boots
--Instagib Minigun - Minigun that fires instagib beams
--Melee Assault - fight with the shield gun only

So, go DOWNLOAD!!!

http://www.planetunreal.com/roar

1st bit of feedback and I'm afraid it's negative.

Rook is tiny, the map is spam as it is, unless you get to the use the freedom of movement that comes with UT2k3, it's going to feel even spammier.

After the doors at the end, I did a boostdodge x 2 and then a hammer and I was in the clear, so unless the D had a LG I'm home free.

I will say this also, as much as it is a cool feature to have to stand and open the library doors and wait for the countdown, can anyone remember out of he last ten times you open the library doors on Rook you died. Well in a Div1 clanmatch it was prolly ten :)

It's a nice feature, but it doesn't belong on that map, and deffo not that part of the map.

Frigate is really nice

Last edited:
... sorry, but.... AS-ROOK and ICE fields just wont work.

standing still for 2 seconds on the library door switch just wont work... and 5 seconds on the gate switch... ur having a laugh fs.
On rook you can rarely get out of the door without being slimed, let alone stand still for 5 seconds.
...But by far the most ridiculous thing is that you CANT LAUNCH.
There is an invisble collision hull and the top of the map. :eek: :shout:

AS-icefields is just..... gay. 2 objectives where you must stand STILL for an outrageous TEN SECONDS.
No way is that gonna work. Not a chance.

Mmm i have played AS for 3 years now (so a long time ye:) )
I think frigate is fine nothin wrong with that map maybe could be a lil bigger but either way i dont see a prob with that.

As 4 rook i think that 1. It is way too small and a definite :nono: to the timed thingy as much as it is cool and could work on some maps rook is definitely not one of them i play in a div 1 team and all we would do tactics wise is chuck bio slime on it constantly makin it near impossible to get library door open let alone anythin else.

Just my 2 cents worth :) but other than that great job, with gettin the mod into ut2k3 :hump:

I'm probably gonna cop flak, since my opinions will probably been seen as less than objective ( no pun intended :p: ), since as you know I've always thought that the idea of UT2003 assault isn't a good one :) Still i'm gonna throw my $0.02 in anyway, take it or leave it.

From a coding / game viewpoint you've done a good job. Although creating the Assault gametype isn't a big job you seem to have done it well. Most of the HUD stuff is good, although the timer placement is questionable. The bombing run circle thingy used to highlight objectives is a good idea, but I wouldn't have it showing until the objective is visible, it quickly drove me round the bend (maybe it can be turned off I haven't checked). Time objectives while not a new idea is a good one IMHO, if done correctly, but as Apoc says your chosen placement of these objectives could use some reviewing.

Now for the maps, and this is where it gets bad.

Rook wasn't the best Assault map IMHO anyway, bareable cos it wasn't too spammy (once you got past the green goo) but never a battleground for an even fight, usually won by a lucky break. Ok for publics, bad for matches, so I guess it depends on your target audience. UT2003 will make this worse, not enuf room to manouver inside, and boost dodges, wall dodges and god knows what else will mean if you can't get over the gates you'll easily get to the end anyway. Changes you've made to it are mostly to its detriment too such the timed objectives and removing the corner at the end. The quicker first doors will help with the spam tho. Worst of all IMHO tho is that it is a total waste of the Engine, it appears to be mostly brush copies and what seem to be a lot of texture copies too, its an ideal candidate for the "If I wanna play AS i'll play UTAS", this map alone offers no reason to switch for UTAS to UT2003.

Theres not a lot I can say about IceFieldz other than its a bombing run map with 2 objectives instead of 2 bombing run goals. As my mother always said if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all, and well I don't have anything nice to say about it :)

Frigate is the best of the maps, still a conversion but aside for the timed objective its a good conversion, looks nice and should play as well as the original. If you must do conversions (and a few conversions is always a good thing IMHO as it gives people something familiar to get to grips with) then this is the sort of result to aim for IMHO.

Thats just my first impressions, take em or leave em, I mean no mal intent :D

Good job, Frigate was awsome. Rook and Icefields were not so good as excepted.
What I dont like is to stand still on the object for 2-10 seconds, which will be really annoying.

However you've done a good job :)

I've played each map for maybe 10 minutes each getting to grips with them. Here's my opinions so far:

Rook:
No matter what Phil says about "straight brush copies" I think it looks just fine. If it doesn't tax the engine too hard, this will only be good when in 12 player matches, with the usual spam and rockets flying everywhere, and will no doubt please those with less powerfull PC's.

The problem is with the scaling - the map is far too small - I get the feeling that I'm playing the UT map with a UT2003 player - i.e. The player character is far too big in relation to the size of the map features - doorways, corridors etc. If all corridors/walkways/doorways were increased in size by 100% it would be much better.

As others have pointed out, having to hold still over objectives is not a good idea.

Frigate:
1. Scaling is much better here, although some areas still feel a bit small. My opinion is that a 10% overall size increase to everything (doorways, corridors etc) would be about right to make the map perfect scale-wise.
2. Just a suggestion, but ditch the bannisters on the stairways inside the ship. They give it a "cluttered" feel and will only help spammers.

Icefieldz:
Other than the fact that it looks like a straight port of one of the BR maps, it could actually be a nice change in matches. A nice, free-form open level, with two highly visible objectives. It would probably appeal more to players who value DM skills in the game, rather than the launch boys. In other words, Konan and McNeil should love it. It would probably also make a great insta map if the objectives weren't timed.

Launching:
Ignore humphro, the cock obviously didn't bother to read the readme file. Otherwise, he'd have realised that by enabling the "boost and damage control" mutator you can hammer/rocketlaunch just fine.

BUT, the problem is that it is currently way too powerful. On a fully charged shield gun, you can backhammer right across the entire map on Frigate.

My suggestion here would be: As far as hammerlaunching is concerned, tone it down so that a fully charged impact hammer is enough to get you from the back pier to the stern of the ship, but no more. Or enough to get you up over the ship side from the gangplank leading into the ship.

Without the mutator, the shieldgun won't even get you halfway from back pier to ship.

Need to try the rocketlaunching some more before I would want to comment on it...

To all the moaners, this is just a beta release, so its obvious it has several revisions left to go. Constructive criticism will help, not "this is teh suxX0r" type stuff.

Overall, good coding work, and Frigate is definitely the best map of the three with the beta release.

Now, if only epic would release a legitimate patch to disable the fecking CD check bullshit so you can play the game without needing the CD in the drive! :D

No offence to Phear, but my worry is that U:C is going to end up being just another TAC-OPS style game, which isn't what I personally really want to see.

Last edited:
my worry is that U:C is going to end up being just another TAC-OPS style game

Hey I said I'd get slated, or at least come across as a My Mods better than your mod thing (which is why I umm'd and ahhh'd before posting). I was simply evaluating it on its own, or at least against UTAS, not against anything else, including U:C.

FYI I despise Tac-Ops and CS and all of its clones :)

Wasn't actually meant as a slating Phil. Its just all the info I've seen you guys release for U:C makes me think that is how it will end up, as opposed to the Tribes effect you're probably aiming for. Though to be fair, you've not really released much info period...

Nothing wrong with tac-ops and CS - after all, 10,000 skin hacking aimbot radar gimps can't be wrong, can they? ;)

Yes they can :p: Not looking for a tribes or a TO/CS kinda thing, actually we're not aiming to be like any other game. Anyway I didn't wanna get into this debate here, this is about RoAR.

what Thuringwethil said :)

whit this assault mod i prolly start to play 2k3 :D

good job :thumb:

Ignore humphro, the cock obviously didn't bother to read the readme file. Otherwise, he'd have realised that by enabling the "boost and damage control" mutator you can hammer/rocketlaunch just fine.

No, read my lips: THERE IS AN INVISIBLE COLLISION HULL BLOCKING LAUNCHES.
You cant even fly over them in SPECTATOR MODE.

Go into the editor and u can see the brushes.

IMO, the damage/boost thing isnt needed launches and hammer jumps work fine without it.