UT2003 offical forum assault thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I've seen a few ppl posting here threads like that on the UT2003 forums, but I have to ask, would that many ppl still play it without any form of launching? Which UT2003 inherently wont have :\

Id be happy enough without launching. I rem back before launching was discovered and put to productive uses, and assault still rocked then.

Launching has become an integral part of AS these days and Im more than happy to play using it now, but I was initially against legal use of launching in league games and Im sure it wouldnt take much to adjust to playing without it again. :D

The most annoying part of Pro AS for me is the friendly fire, the no-launching aspect is fine :coolfip:

I rem back before launching was discovered and put to productive uses, and assault still rocked then

fuckin ION and Mi5 overlord defence back then ffs :D

hehe yeah cant denie Mi5 had a pretty solid defence on overlord back then, dont think we ever lost that map before launching :D

I'm probably gonna get flamed for saying it, but I believe DE have made the right decision not including Assault in UT2003, I wouldn't have.

Aside from the graphics enhancements, UT2003 aims to fix the problems with UT, in doing so they broke nearly everything that has kept Assault alive:

1) Launching: With no launching Assault will loose its appeal to a great many players.

2) Spam: The UT2003 weapons have been tweaked to reduce spam. Without spam, Assault will lose a lot of players. I'm gonna rattle a lot of cages here (puts on asbestos suit), but Assault players on the whole are not skillful players (or rather not as skillful as other games). Assault has attracted more players because its easy to play. Anyone can stand at the end of a corridor and lob flak and rockets, or wait behind a door with a Shock Rifle, and that is essentially what a lot of Assault defending consists of. A new player who steps onto a server and can grab a whole load of frags is bound to get a kick out of it, and come back and try again. I hear a lot of people saying there are other skillz in Assault, like launching is a skill. Well I don't see it as that, you can teach anyone to fire 6 rockets at the right place, or aim a hammer in a specific direction, but learning to strafe combo, or snipe effectively is something that only comes with practice and natural skill. I'll stick my head into the lions mouth and say, aside from a handful of players (which does not include myself btw), Assault is a n00bs game. There's nothing wrong with that, people play for fun, and so they should, but take away the accessibility and you take away the game.

3) Teamplay: This is it, take away everything else (which UT2003 will) and your left with the only reason to continue to play Assault, the teamplay. But don't you beleive that Teamplay can be done so much better than in Assault? I know I do, I can see bombing run being a much better game of team play.

4) Other games do it better: This was DE's official stance, and a number of people have said it on the UT2003 forums too, and they are right. The first time I played the demo of RTCW, I thought, this is how Overlord should have been.

I'm not slating Assault, i've been playing it for 2 1/2 years, and thourighly enjoyed it. Aside from the name would Assault in UT2003 still be the same game? For me it wouldn't, it would be less appealing, and I think the same would be true for a lot of people, but maybe I'm wrong.

Assault in UT struggled to attract players, trying to do the same in UT2003 would attract even less IMHO.

"The most annoying part of Pro AS for me is the friendly fire,"
Dog will agree with u there:lol::evil:

A coment on the spam bit Fill.I disagree 100%, i can make Ludo spammy.Between me and Smark im sure we can worksomething out for UT2003:D

to 1)

what if you disable friendly fire and shoot your teammates? nothing will happen? :eek:

to 2)

from what ive heard AS would only lose ION without spam :rolleyes: AS without spam would be great :D

to 3)

right, its more about teamplay as assault is, but how much fun is it to run around with a bomb? :snore:

just my opinion :cool:

I think Phear is pretty well right, though comparing RTCW to a 10 minute level in AS is a bit much lol.

So tell us Phear how come Gen isnt the greatest AS player in the league(he is clearly the best DM player)?? If AS is just DM with some easily added skills? I think AS has a hidden ingredient which none of us have really identified.

Maybe you 1st div players should come and play Assault in a lower division match, the game is totally different in divs 2 & 3(dont know about others :P) than it is in Div 1. More like the good old days CHARGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Iceman:

1) Hammer launching is made possible by a bug in the impact hammer, and well they've replaced the impact hammer with a new shield hammer, so thats gone. The RL in UT2003 only loads 3 rockets.

2) I agree, I'd prefer Assault without spam, I'm talking about what makes it accessible to ppl. I wouldn't want to play without spam if it meant there was no one to play it.

3) I don't know how fun it is, how much fun is running down a tunnel, dieing, running down a tunnel, dieing over and over for 10 minutes? Doesn't sound like fun does it, but we do it every time we play Assault (or something like it).

Tom:

I don't think you can define the the best AS player, except in terms of his/her DM skillz and knowledge of the maps / tricks :)

I disagree, did you and Mad Mat beat Gazzy and Lightning due to DM skills? Nope, it was through cunning and good decisions in how to play the maps, thats what makes good assault players.

Yes I class that knowledge of the maps / tricks :)

But thats present in every game type, to a lesser or greater extent and while that kind of skill is prevelant in 2v2, its much less relevant in 6v6 :\

Besides my point wasn't what makes a good Assault player, it was what attracts and keeps people playing Assault, which IMHO anyway, would be all gone if Assault was in UT2003.

Well I ain’t gonna flame you, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion ( :p: @ Cru )

I will disagree however :D

1) Yes launching will be disable, and imho that can only make AS better in the long run. AS was fine without launching and will be fine again (if given the opportunity) with it taken away.

2) Again I agree AS is less skilled than other mods, however DM depends totally on your ability to kill someone where as AS involves a great deal of teamwork as well. Its not just about spam but having the defence laid out correctly and stopping each differing approach the attackers take, and being in the right place at the right time. In justification of point 1, I agree launching isn’t a skill, hence why I wouldn’t be sad to see it go. But there is also plently of DM skills needed, spam / camping is only a small part of it and only really apparent on maps such as guarida, athenosphere etc. Yes n00bs can pick up assault easier than DM, but the only people who will progress far in AS are the ones that are actually good at DM too.

3) Bombrunning – yes I agree this may contain more team play, I also think CTF contains more teamplay than AS, but that doesn’t mean its more fun. AS holds something for me that no other mod has managed to achieve, the sense of satisfaction when winning a close league match, or even on a more personal basis by completing a level in a quick time, have yet to be rivaled for me. A combination of teamplay, DM and clear cut objectives to reach.

4) Other games do it better – maybe… I haven’t played RTCW but on peoples recommendation I know will. That doesn’t take away from the fact I’ve been playing assault for 2.5 years too, have no desire to switch to any other game at the moment, and still get a great deal of pleasure from it. I’ve played plenty of other games in the mean time, CS and half life mods, other styles althogether, but none of them have caught and held my attention like AS.

You say it wouldn’t be assault any more and in a way you are right, it wouldn’t be exactly the same as what we do now, but then I never expected it to be – if I wanted that I would just carry on playing UT. However, it would be a new and better version imho, all new maps and weapons to explore and a new game engine that produces far better graphics. The only thing that would be really different would be the lack of launching, the rest would be minor changes and improvements.

It would still be assault, but with a new edge and maybe, hopefully, that would be even better than what we have now –it has every chance of being just that (or it would do if some bugger would make it :D ) Assault is the most enjoyable game style I have played, and I’d rather see it improved than destroyed.

AS was fine without launching and will be fine again (if given the opportunity) with it taken away.

For you maybe, but here Im talking about ppl in general. If launching was pulled from Assault, a lot of ppl wouldn't play it. Attracting as many people as there are in Assault atm isn't justification enuf for including it, let alone less ppl.

You say it wouldn’t be assault any more and in a way you are right, it wouldn’t be exactly the same as what we do now, but then I never expected it to be – if I wanted that I would just carry on playing UT. However, it would be a new and better version imho, all new maps and weapons to explore and a new game engine that produces far better graphics. The only thing that would be really different would be the lack of launching, the rest would be minor changes and improvements.

It would still be assault, but with a new edge and maybe, hopefully, that would be even better than what we have now –it has every chance of being just that (or it would do if some bugger would make it ) Assault is the most enjoyable game style I have played, and I’d rather see it improved than destroyed.

Different yes? But improved? Unless you prefer to play without launching, I cannot see how it would be improved.

Not saying Assault can't be improved, just that a direct Assault port to UT2003 wouldn't be an improvement. Assault needs to evolve, and to do that, it needs a new game type of its own :D

Originally posted by Phear
Different yes? But improved? Unless you prefer to play without launching, I cannot see how it would be improved.

Not saying Assault can't be improved, just that a direct Assault port to UT2003 wouldn't be an improvement. Assault needs to evolve, and to do that, it needs a new game type of its own :D

Launching is one aspect, everything else about the mod would be approved - better weapons, maps, graphics. Launching would be the only major difference.

DM hasnt evolved at all other than new weapons and maps, so imho AS would be evolving just as much, as I said every aspect other than launching would be better. Maybe it would be good with a game on its own, but UT is the perfect engine for the assault mod so why develop 2 seperate games when you can have one with all the goodies :D

I agree with Phil :)

And i can honestely say i wont miss assault, not after playin it for this long.

Bombing run looks interesting aye :D