Uk elections !

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

syphus

When God was handing out chins, I was so stoned I
Jun 27, 2001
Lisbon
well think no theard about it and i consider it a rather important thing so here it goes :P

im not english but has a eu citizen this elections are important to myself also so my 2cents are simple has .

labour wins because the general public recognizes the good and stable work that blairs party has done in terms of economy

england grows up well and stable and continues to be on of the most rich and stable nations arround .

althou the iraq factor has made his effects the great majoraty still believes in blairs projects and the 18 years of consevator goverment there are prolly still in the public head so i guess labour continues to be the option let's the future outcome of it ;)

not bad for a pothead :P

hi syphus, would you please update calvin and hobbes, will ya!

Blair wins, the other one is too stupid. imo

UK has always been one of the most powerful nations in the world and always will be, because english people are smart

smarter.

This does not reallly to all english people, but the way England controls the world is pretty impressive imho ;)

IceDragon said:
smarter.

This does not reallly to all english people, but the way England controls the world is pretty impressive imho ;)

in my eyes england is controlled by USA. actually england stands closer to USA than to Europe. one point why the EU develops so slow :(

We are not controlled by the USA, just Tony Blair has imo been, to a certain extent, influenced by Bush with regards to his decisions over iraq

p.s If we were ever to be assessed on "smartness" i hope nobody visits Hull :lol: :p: , sorry im generalising a bit prolly :D

Blair didn't win because Labour are great, Blair won because the Conservatives have not recovered properly yet and because the Liberal Democrats are denied the amount of seats they deserve by Britain's crappy first past the post system. The Conservatives did well to manage a 4% swing to them away from Labour, they've taken the Labour majority down to 66 and many of the Labour MPs who avoided the chop are those most likely to rebel. It now only takes 33 rebels to vote down a bill proposed by Labour but opposed by the other big parties.

What's almost for sure is that this term will see Gordon Brown arrive as Labour leader and imo this will also be the last Labour term in a while, the anti-labour feeling amongst the electorate will only continue to grow. If the Conservatives can choose a young leader who can shake off the cobwebs from the party Gordon Brown has no chance at all, not least because Gordon himself will be probably in his late 50s/early 60s in the next election and because he has no charisma or public speaking skills at all compared to Blair.

Basically, Labour have had a good innings but come the next election and a big upheaval is coming, who knows which party will benefit most but one thing is for sure, there will be a much more hotly contested election.

MiserY said:
in my eyes england is controlled by USA. actually england stands closer to USA than to Europe. one point why the EU develops so slow :(
huge BS, imo

In the world it's the USA who's considered to be the bad guys, because they did an illegal war, not the british...

Actually,there are several proofs of the fact that the english governement manipulated/told/helped Bush to start a war. :P

The UK has always controlled the world, even if indirectly..

The prob i have, is the fact that blair is so far up bushes ass, he can see the sun shine! But yay on the fact that the lib dems have got better seats now. I would have voted for Lim.dems out of all the parties, but they all none trust worthy, big headed pompus twats, that i couldnt be arsed to vote.
Sorry but thats how i feel.

One small point - it was UK Elections for the entire UK. Not just England. Though I think English councils were elected on the same day.

The biggest annoyance for me out of the whole thing is that the Labour party got 35.2% of the vote, the Torys got 32.3, Lib Dems 22% and the rest for 10.5. Yet from that - Labour get 356 seats, 197 for Torys 62 for Lib Dems and 30 for the rest (1 seat was uncontested for the moment as a candidate died, they will have a by-election soon)

How can 32.3% of the vote translate into 55% of the seats and therefore a clear majority.

Our first past the post system is really bad for this.

Proportional Representation was used in the Scottish Parliament Elections and I think it turned out quite well - we have a number of Green Party MSPs for example who would never get a voice otherwise. While I disagree with a lot of their politics, they are at least representing people in the country rather than us being bogged down with the main 2 and a bit parties.

One thing we may see out of the election result is that Blair will be unable to force through unpopular laws by sheer force of numbers - if his backbench MPs disagree with him they only need 34 of them (providing the other partys vote against the government) This may well temper the right wing Blair Labour party while not allowing the left wing to do too much, giving us a more centrist view. Or not. Who knows. Maybe he will just continue being President Blair.

For me personally, the entire "War in iraq" situation from start to finish, makes me oppose Blair greatly, and I do not think any less of it a couple of years on from the event - it still enrages me. I think we are tied in with the US too closely on many fronts, and our hand was forced on the decision to go to war from a purely financial point of view. The US has it's power by being able to impose sanctions on countries it deals with (imports/exports) if they disagree with a policy, UN resolution or other agenda they have. But, the UK also uses the same dirty tactics through the world on lesser nations - so it's not like we are perfect and the US is the evil guy in the world.

If we had of opposed unilateral military operations in Iraq instead and waited for a second UN resolution on Saddam and so forth, I think our the countries economy and financial stability would have been greatly affected. As it is at the moment, my view is that we potentially are heading for a slow down in a lot of areas and recession of some sort. The sheer number of people being made redundant from their jobs at the moment is forever keeping the media and tabloids filled with stories of people losing their livelyhood. :( Are house prices over-inflated? Are interest and inflation rates going to stay stable? How much do we owe, as a nation, in credit cards etc?..

A whole lot of guessing, and for me the next 6 months to a year will be a guide as to how the rest Labours term will go.

From a party perspective - one of the things which amazes me about the whole thing is that someone can vote for Party X, and they instantly approve of all of the parties policys, standing points, opinions, etc. I personally think we should have more national referendums on major decisions taken by the goverment - especialyl when there are hundreds of thousands of people protesting in the streets of the capital.

I also wonder if the people who voted for labour this time round, are happy that the money they pay in tax is being pumped into another country (Iraq) which is turning out to be a bottom-less pit of resources (US seeking another $XX billion from Congress recently, the UK must have some major overheads too which someone needs to pay for).

IceDragon said:
The UK has always controlled the world, even if indirectly..

I'm trembling with anticipation of the examples of this you're about to produce. Start from the end of the second world war.