TV-B-Gone!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Nice Doh, do they sell any which are pre-configured? I'm at school and don't have many tools :(

nvm, used the original site and ordered one. I'm very sick of my gay roommate watching reality tv all the time.

2 funny , however certain companys at that show musta invested a great deal of time and money haha i bet there must have been some legal action taken rofl funny though

How are you going to take legal action against someone turning off a television?

How are you going to take legal action against someone turning off a television?

IANAL. However, I've read quite a bit about stuff like this... and here is my idea:

DMCA is the thing which will get you sued.

TV Company: License the IR-codes for your television to companies that make "universal remotes".
Other companies: Want to make a universal remote? Obtain license from TV Company. No license, no IR-codes.

Don't get license but still want the codes? Reverse-engineering can get you the IR-codes of any TV, however you would have violated the DMCA.

Violate DMCA -> Lawsuit against company -> Remote illegal, turn in profit/money/etc.

Overall, violate the DMCA and the shit hits the fan.

Not sure the DMCA here would be applicable. I know it was for garage door remote openers... but that case was eventually thrown out of court. [1] I guess TVs have a fixed IR ID rather than rolling IDs like security system remotes like door openers.

I'm sure some law could be applicable though, even if its distrubing the peace or similar. However it raises an interesting question - about IR and security. They are pointing IR receivers at the public.. are the public allowed to send IR signals? Next year I guess that every single receiver will have a bit of gaffer tape on it.

Very funny and lame at the same time.

IANAL. However, I've read quite a bit about stuff like this... and here is my idea:

DMCA is the thing which will get you sued.

TV Company: License the IR-codes for your television to companies that make "universal remotes".
Other companies: Want to make a universal remote? Obtain license from TV Company. No license, no IR-codes.

Don't get license but still want the codes? Reverse-engineering can get you the IR-codes of any TV, however you would have violated the DMCA.

Violate DMCA -> Lawsuit against company -> Remote illegal, turn in profit/money/etc.

Overall, violate the DMCA and the shit hits the fan.

Hmn... I'm learning new things. Now if I only knew what DMCA was and why you're suddenly talking about anal in all caps. :P:

The editor of popular gadget website Gizmodo was banned from CES and Gawker Media, company behind that site, is most likely getting sued by CES organizers pretty soon. Reason? Gizmodo’s prank: shutting down tens and hundreds of TV, LCDs and plasma screens by a remote controller known as TV-B-Gone. They published a somehow funny video at their blog, but interrupting many presentations, press events and other important booth shows of many recognized brands wasn’t that great - may be if you were 17-year old nerdy teenager, but CES is visited mostly by real businessmen and such behaviour seems unacceptable to me. Anyway, enjoy the video.
:rolleyes:

Testing.

Last edited:
I had one of these about 10 years ago while in school; not as quick running through the codes as the TV-B-Gone, but we managed to reduce a supply teacher to a mumbling mess as she couldn't figure out why the TV kept shutting itself off, and video stopping during a presentation.

Children are so evil. :devil:

I had one of these about 10 years ago while in school; not as quick running through the codes as the TV-B-Gone, but we managed to reduce a supply teacher to a mumbling mess as she couldn't figure out why the TV kept shutting itself off, and video stopping during a presentation.

Children are so evil. :devil:

hahaha yes, I did the same with my Casio tv watch :rofl:

"learning remote control" sounds cool. That's the most ultra-nerd watch ever. If only there were a way to incorporate Star Wars quotes into it....

I just got my TV-B-Gone in the mail.

I'm pleased that it works on the TV I most want it for: My roommate's
Unfortunately the casing seems to be pretty cheap plastic, and I'd prefer if it didn't label itself as TV-B-Gone on it so that it would be supersneaky. Oh well, it works :D