The Return of the King - BIG MOFO SPOILERS THREAD

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

omg what a movie :eek: :eek: :eek:
must be the best one ive ever seen

only thing that could have been better imo was part with the dead, they look very cool but the way they attacked could have been more impressive imo, bit like matrix style maybe ;) now it was just some green stuff on walls :(

ViPah said:
omg what a movie :eek: :eek: :eek:
must be the best one ive ever seen

only thing that could have been better imo was part with the dead, they look very cool but the way they attacked could have been more impressive imo, bit like matrix style maybe ;) now it was just some green stuff on walls :(

agreed!

I´m quite surprised some of you are actually talking about "which part was best" 1 or 3, 2 was shite etc...

When you get all the dvd´s. Rip em, and cut em together into 1 big 10 hour movie and we won´t have to listen to this crap about which part was the best. It´s all the same movie for christ sake :)

Anyway, movie was awesome alltogether except:
When Eowyn kills the Nazgul... "No living man on this earth can kill it"... I´m NOT a MAN... I´m a WOMAN (Or whatever she said, i was just laughing at this part)!!! And boom... nazgul dies from her simple stab. Pffff, that´s a really cheap, shitty sollution... (No offense all the women out there). I think you get the point.

Straight outta the book .... the concept which was slightly altered from Shakespears Macbeth, "MacDuff was from his mothers womb untimely ripped!"

And I recommend NOT turning it into one long 12 hour film ... you really need pee breaks in between, changing DVDs is a great point to do that ;)

That bit where Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas jump off the boat and the orcs laugh at the three of them, then the dead appear and obliterate the orcs...why didn't the three guys just go back into the boat and have a smoke ffs? In fact just let the dead do everything and only then can they be held to have completed their whatever.

My mum thought the bit where Legolas single handedly brought down the mumakil and all the orcs on top of it - that bit spoiled it for her she said :P It was going a bit far. If I'd had been Gimli I'd have kicked his balls for being a hippy smart-arse.

The battle scenes were amazing and the whole bit with Shelob was class. That was the bit I had been waiting for ever since the first film came out - I couldn't wait to see how they were going to do it.

And the bit near the end where Frodo is in the bed and all his friends come in and start laughing etc, that bit was cheese on toast I thought.

Brilliant film though, and Denethor was creepy as hell :mwah:

Mughi said:
Straight outta the book .... the concept which was slightly altered from Shakespears Macbeth, "MacDuff was from his mothers womb untimely ripped!"

I think i explained a bit wrong. What i meant was I don´t like the way they do that scene. I think the fact that she actually screams out that she´s a woman is very exaggerated. Sounds a bit like Mel Gibson in "The Patriot"... USA, USA while he´s riding against 10.000 men in the front with a flag in his hand. Err, and survives. Anyway, it´s "just a bit" over the top i think.

Mughi said:
And I recommend NOT turning it into one long 12 hour film ... you really need pee breaks in between, changing DVDs is a great point to do that ;)

Well, you still got the point didn´t ya ;) :P

landscape view are awesome, fight scene amazing, only dark point for me is frodon and sam scene... peter jackson, have made of them a couple of fags doing a trip in the mountain... :gay:
didn't had the same feelling with book.
still think it's the best film I have seen l8tly

Last edited:
Bad_medic said:
landscape view are awesome, fight scene amazing, only dark point for me is frodon and sam scene... peter jackson, have made of them a couple of fags doing a trip in the mountain... :gay:

When you read the book your feeling was that you were 1 of those fags eh? :P

Bad_medic said:
still think it's the best film I have seen l8tly

I had it the complete other way round medic ... whenever I have read the book i got really fed up with Sam's obsession with Frodo ... "I luvs 'im I do, I luvs my mastar Frodo" Sam gets really pawing and if I were Frodo I would be more than a little uncomfortable near him. Peter Jackson has made it a lot more "really good mates" Sam is looking out for him, kinda older brother style. Didnt get the same thing that Sam was a scary little obsessed thing as in the book

A lot of people have slagged off Peter Jacksons protrayal of Frodo and Sam's relationship percieved onscreen throughout the course of the trilogy, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

Hobbits by their very nature are a friendly people, that much is obvious throughout the book and the film.

He choose that instead of displaying the relationship as more of a master/servant or an employer/worker that it would look better on screen as a genuine friendship, and it does.

As for the scence in the bed, the film doesn't protray the timeline very well, but for Merry and Pippen it had been over a year since they had seen Frodo and well there is also what I said above about Hobbit's being friendly by nature. Personally I reckon a lot of people have seriuos issues with homophobia these days.

Apocalypse said:
As for the scence in the bed, the film doesn't protray the timeline very well, but for Merry and Pippen it had been over a year since they had seen Frodo and well there is also what I said above about Hobbit's being friendly by nature. Personally I reckon a lot of people have seriuos issues with homophobia these days.
Fair point about the amount of time ... also, i think it was exagerate a bit to show the delight in seeing his old friends safe and well again ... and to show when Sam walked in ... a bit of a connection there, they had litterally been to hell and back together.

My problem with how Sam is portrayed in the book isnt that he is gay, that would be fine. Its how he is damn close to being a stalker-type character ... maybe not everybody got that ... I really didnt like Arwen in the book, I thought she was a stuck up bitch that shoulda been left ... but hardly anyone else seems to think so :rolleyes:

indeed the best movie this year, a visual landmark for years and 10 times better than the totally overhyped matrix sequels.

however there are some things i thought cud have been better.
-first of all the army of the dead looks a bit cheap to me, they reminded a bit of the zombies in braindead with an added green glow effect, but i guess its close to impossible to display believable dead running around killing orcs.

-legolas vs the oliphant, even tho this scene is greatly done and extremely entertaining it doesnt fit into a heroic fantasy story, shud have been left out.

-shelob; i dont know maybe my expectations were too high, but i always imagined her huge and i mean like really huge, balrog size and really really ugly. in the movie it was just a 5 meter spider which didnt really impress me. the balrog in the fellowship set the standard for the big beasts and shelob doesnt live up to it.

-minas morgul; omg so beatiful, but the city was once built by men at the same time with minas tirith, yet in the movie it looks like some kind of perfeclty shaped conjureing circle, very bad but clean, unlike all the orks housing in it. imo it should have looked more like a dirty and rotten version of minas tirith.

-maybe i remember that wrong from the book but was there this huge ring wall called pelennor 50 miles around minas tirith protecting all the farms and little villages in this area? in the movie you see form minas tirith to osgiliath and there is absoluteley nothing inbetween.

-i dunno, it maybe makes sense but i didnt like saurons eye as a lighthouse lamp, ok it shows that the eye is ever watchfull but imo it was a bti too much.

one scene i found absolutley fabulous is when minas tiriths guard rides out to reconquer osgiliath while denethor decadently sits in the throne hall eating hsi dinner, the way these 2 actiosn are cut together imo added a lot to the drama the counterattack containes.

i also totally loved when eowyn fights the nazgul, its just too short :/

im quite surprised that some people apparently had a problem with sam and frodo in the books, if you dont feel yourself into the whole fantasy mentality they seem a little gay in the movies, but i never had that impression when i read the books.

anways you should watch the bonus material in the EE of TTT, it explains why sam is so protective towards Frodo.
heres why; in the english army it was a tradition that each officer had his personal adjutant which looked after him, this was a very close "relationship" and tolkien who served as an officer in WW1 expierienced this and wanted the relationship between frodo and sam to be the same.
once i knew this sams behaviour made a lot more sense to me.

all in all its one of the best movies i have ever seen and ill enjoy watching it for years and years to come :)

Did anyone notice that the scene between Murazor (the nazgûl lord and also known as the witchking of angmar) and Gandalf was in the trailer but in the movie itself it was cut out.
Hopefully we'll see this in the extended version coz i was really looking forward to see this in the movie.

Also the scene where Merry promisses to King Theoden to fight along with the Rohirrim was in the trailer but was missed out in the movie.

Last edited:
the part where Éowyn takes out the Nazgul is the most annoying part in my eyes, I mean come on! it's a Nazgul, they own! even if Aragorn killed it I would have wanted it to be very hard for him, and not as easily as Éowyn did it, but oh well.
as for Legolas taking out the Mumakill.. well, normally I'd see it as exaggerating, but because he's an uber elf with a bow I'll forgive Peter Jackson :p:
it's really cool to watch and the part where Gimli says "But it still only counts as one" is a great addon to that :D
overall a great movie, though the end stretches on and on, agonizing when you have to take a piss really badly (me and my m8s did, lol)

Just seen it. The only drawbacks are 2/3rds of the way through the film, when the action was over, it turns into a commercial for toiler paper or Care for Cancer. I mean I loved the action stuff and everything CG but ffs the end was tedious and drawn out so far you could ave played a violin solo on it. And that fucking music! Some kind of cutesy Hovis-advert music whenever a hobbit even thinks about making an appearance!

Thank god for the scene selection facility on DVDs. I never have to see Legoloas's one-eyebrow acting, listen to that music or suffer those interminable endings again. I know they're in the book, Jackons should get a medal for turning something barely readable into something mostly watchable.