The Official What do you think of the Actual UT2004 game thread....

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Wow they did even worse than I thought they would!
They almost all use the classic static meshes/decorations from ut2k3. Talk about linear maps as well. Basically what maps in UT were, original and interesting for each scenario, ut2k4 maps are not and fail miserably.

NO I wont buy the game but is saw screenies and videos here .

Last edited:
Doc_EDo said:
...NO I wont buy the game...

Thank fuck for that, one less whiner to worry about.

Hopefully, that will also mean you won't waste anymore of my time reading the drivel that flows from that which you call a brain.

Apocalypse said:
Thank fuck for that, one less whiner to worry about.

Hopefully, that will also mean you won't waste anymore of my time reading the drivel that flows from that which you call a brain.
:nod: :thumb:

Me too could not wait. Spent some really painful time getting it and installing it. No good decision on my part. Too much time spent.

Fired up AS-Mothership. You start in a space-attacking ship. Could not figure out how to fly it. Felt mostly like floating weightless in space and crashing into the mothership. Guess one can get used to that. Bad part is when attackers enter the ship. Attackers and defenders spawn very close. Attackers has to take out 2 "something" like onslought bases and at the same time kill defenders (that will show up again heavily armed in a few seconds). Defenders has got a huge advantage. They have at least rockets and ASM. Attackers have 2 routes. And attackers need to kill defenders and kill 2 objectives that don't die easily.

Will be a spam feast that will make Guardia look like a walk in the desert looking for action.

Edit add. But then again. This is a very well worked through game. Started the single player and have gone over a couple of really nice dm maps (not that I ever play dm online). Runs fine and better than UT2003. So it comes down to personal preferences. Even if this game is not really for me I am gonna buy it (as planned) when it comes out on Friday.

Last edited:
fs one cud think people figured out by now that assault is not what we would like it to be, if u had spent some time to look into the dm maps you would be satisfied, some of the new ones are excellent , great flow, great itemplacement great looks.

and doc wtf are you moaning about, the game comes with all 2k3 maps, so of course they need to have all 2k3 meshes and textures aswell, if they used new themes for any new maps that would mean another gig of data and 2 more cd's, would you be happy then?

gameplay>looks!

I really love that CTF-Moondragon map... its beautiful and it plays terrific.
hmm havent checked everything yet, but it seems like a fine game. assault is shit for me, coz it I cant play it properly on this pc :\

not that iwe got it yet, but the as-maps sound like utter shite :\ lets just hope modders/mappers make league as mod/ starts importing old assault maps to 2k4 :o

and from what iwe noticed on convoy u can't even get over the invisible wall with a full height hl (thats v high in 2k4 really), u can test to launch with one lad charging shield and another player on the opposing team jumping on it with shield 2nd pointed towards it

Sauron said:
well actually the double jump is the biggest difference so i think that justifies it.

and i wouldnt see why you want the flak cannon to bounce more often so it becomes the spammy shitthing again it used to be, also the biorifle is an actual weapon in 2k4 and not just somethign you can spam door with and get lucky kills, i wudnt want it changed. the link beam is afaik straight, its only the animation, which is also straight as soon as it has contact with an enemy and your not just cutting air. and if u need it to be called differently, take neph's tweak file, change the pickup names and load the thing

Why are you defending the UT2k4 weapons!?

UT2k4 is a game on it's own, and the weapons in it are different then UT99, fine by me, i'll learn to live with it or not... But if they bring out a "UT99 Mutator" that says Classic UT style movement and weapons then i ask you if that is what it does? Does it do what it says it does or not? All you do is defend the UT2k4 weapons...

tbh ur quote
and i wouldnt see why you want the flak cannon to bounce more often so it becomes the spammy shitthing again it used to be
says it all, because that's "exactly" what i want indeed! because that's what the mutator promises me...

And the link gun alt-fire stand wobbely and then slowly straightens out when you keep firing it...

then
fs one cud think people figured out by now that assault is not what we would like it to be, if u had spent some time to look into the dm maps you would be satisfied, some of the new ones are excellent , great flow, great itemplacement great looks.

All i said was that they took all the special "assault" skill out of AS and made it DM with objectives... if i liked DM i would have played that but i don't. I agree with you that the DM maps looks very good and are very balanced and if you like DM this will be a fun game for you! But i don't... I also don't really like the translocator so BR and CTF ain't my thing neither... leaves ONS...

Good mod indeed and the maps are nice and it'll prolly play awesome but i don't know if that justifies me spending around a third of my total monthly budget on it...

i wonder why you lot are so fiercely protecting over UT2k3/4 when you don't give a damn when people slag off UT99, "cus that's in the passed" ...

there was a utclassic mutator for 2k3 out around 2 weeks after the game release and it played shit coz it didnt suit the game, as it is the RL is already too spammy imo, allowing it to shoot 6 rockets instead of 3 doesnt make that any better.

as for assault, i know what you are saying but fs it aint anything new, we've been discussing this with willhaven for about 4 months on these boards now, if you still need to complain about it your just stubborn. im also disapointed about AS but i eventually simply decided that i dont care because ill stick with UTA, its just getting more and more boring to see ppl writing the same complaints over and over and over and over again, WE'VE READ THEM! and epic read them aswell and doesnt give a fart, so why cary on moaning for nothing, you'll end up with a sore stomach for nothing.

you also didnt get my point about the link gun, the actual hitscan is straight on the CH, no matter how much the animation is wobbling around, you hit what you aim for. so all you're really complaining about is a texture.
i also prefer the ut pulsegun, but the difference is just the damage they do per second, not the hitscan.

so to summarize it again, im not protecting 2k4, im just fed up with reading the same complaints time after time again, if you dont like it, fine, no need to tell everyone coz epic aint gonna change shit for you.
and for not giving a damn about ut being slagged off, there are probably millions of quake 1,2,3, CS, BF42, MOHAA, WOLF etc players who think that ut is a shit game and all of those who play it are noobs, so shall we write a letter to all of them? i used to have discussions with friends who played quake, its just wasted time coz you paly what u liek and you dont play what you dont like innit.

so save your breath and play some more ut, which u still seem to enjoy. :P

I like it! :)

same as UT2k3 only better mod/maps and the sniper is back :)

still playing single player cant get enuf of it

iBR and onslaught are the best mod so far

iBR is mint :D

Sauron said:
so to summarize it again, im not protecting 2k4, im just fed up with reading the same complaints time after time again, if you dont like it, fine, no need to tell everyone coz epic aint gonna change shit for you.
f0. some of us like to hear both the good and the bad before we decide whether its worth our time and money.
Locally coming in at around 47euro @ most shops, add to that alot of us (I for one) need to upgrade/replace our rigs to play it well for another 50-250+euro (gfx, cpu, perhaps new mobo+ram for the new cpu), these opinions actually have a important role to play. Sure, had the demo, but both gameplay and framerate can vary greatly from map to map, and thats basically what i expect to find reports about in this thread.

btw i dont buy your shit about the utclassic mutator. bunch of bs that mutator was in 2k3. What u need for that is some guys getting together and making a real UT weaponsmod, and some options to kill the doublejump (bloody like megafarting in midair) and adrenaline. Need a bunch who can make meshes, animations, textures and not least the code, so it actually delivers UT weapon handling and power, while taking the opportunity to improve/fix the looks of the ut weapons. Jwer got that one right, they called it one thing, but really is was little less than increased weapons damage.

ofcourse this is almost entirely offtopic because it on no way expresses my opinions about ut2k4 which i have neither seen nor played yet. well done me, fit right in here.

you dont get what i wrote innit.
my point was that jwer came up with nothing new, only the same complaints weve already heard 4 months ago.
if you need to read more ranting about the game you shud maybe just not buy it. you should definiteley not update for it if youre not 100% in love with it.

and whats that shit about the ut mutator you dont buy from me? i said the mutator was shit, learn to read.

hm havent pld it a lot yet but i like it so far ;)
was same with 2k3 tho, it took me about a month to realize it was crap
2k4 is deffo better than 2k3 imo, some cool dm maps and SP is also nice

well been playing it today online and its fucking great if u ask me :D

need some decent uk servers tho was on 1 with a ping from 150-1000 ish still playable tho at 250

not too keen on AS mothership tho......

Ive been playing it more today and its so much better than 2K3 for me its not even close :D

Of all the years of playing UT, DM has never attracted me yet in 2K4 i cant stop playing it. The flow and design of some of the maps are wonderful. Im looking forward to playing on a few better pinging UK servers too as most wont have the game until tomorrow here.
Onslaught is going to be massive very soon, i dont care what game its ripped off its so much fucking fun :D the crap ego players just point whoring or DM`ing it up are the only ones that spoil it for me but its not enough to stop me loving it. Ive not had much chance to play CTF apart from the demo level which i enjoyed while it wasnt being runied by those bloody speed hacks.

As for Assault..i dont like it in 2K4 and im fed up with it in UT. Sod Assault...its not the be-all and end-all of everything, im done with it.

After playing UT for so many years and having stopped playing for about 6 months now because im bored of it, i can safley say this will be keeping me away from UT :)

tried everywhere here to get SE in the shops but no-ones got it atm :(

So instead i got the regular version, got 1/2 way home and saw there was only 1 Disc :o Went straight back to shop and ranted 'wtf u doing only giving me 1 disc FFS' :flame:

......then i got pointed out that it was on dvd not a cd so left the shop embarrased with head lowered :lol: Someone could have told me that ffs....

installin now :D