The all new 'what mouse to get' thread

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Tnega

Chairman Of The Council Of Soup Samplers
Jul 15, 2001
Fae Fife.
I know its been done to death, but mine is finally dead and there are a load more mice out now than there were.
So. Who can recommend which mouse for gaming and why?
Input much appreciated.
:thumb:

i just bought the the roccat kone and its pretty nice even it will need some time till i get used to it.
its pretty ergonomic and you can put weights on it if you like it more heavy or light... thats up to you.

and thats what roccat writes about it:

3200DPI PRO-AIM GAMING SENSOR
The precise Pro-Aim Gaming Sensor effectively reduces Pick-Up-Flight. It is accompanied by a high-end 6.4 megapixel sensor measuring with 7080 frames per second, loss-free up to an acceleration of 20G. 1ms response time, 1000Hz polling rate and the adjustable resolution up to real 3200dpi give you the competitive edge to improve your aiming skills.
TCU - TRACKING CONTROL UNIT
Every mouse pad is different. There is an awful lot of mouse pads out there for sale. But this variety also has its disadvantages. The laser of standard gaming mice is calibrated to an average for satisfactory results on most mousepads. That’s why the Kone is provided with the Tracking Control Unit. It is the first and only mouse which analyses the mouse pad and calibrates the laser power exactly to the surface. Learn more about the TCU under the point "TCU-Info".
INTEGRATED TURBOCORE (72MHZ)
The internal TurboCore Unit is the power**ful heart of this tool. All mouse calculations are being processed in*ter*nally, enabling you to add timing in*for**mation on macros and saving vital CPU power for game processing tasks and giving this mouse up to twice the processing power compared to other high class gaming mice.

ONBOARD MEMORY (128KB)
128kB of Internal Memory allow you to save up to five Game Profiles containing macros for your game characters and individual settings directly on the mouse. You can use any of these profiles without driver. Create unlimited profiles with ultra-long macro sequences and parallel key commands for each mouse button using the Macro Manager and save them on your HDD.

ERGONOMIC HYBRID SHAPE
Maximum grip in the heat of the game: The special right handed hybrid shape, equally suitable for claw or palm grip, revolutionizes the definition of gaming comfort. The shortened left mouse button and the precisely calculated downward slope towards the right mouse button are the inevitable results of long term research and ergonomics studies. The rubberized top and side surfaces provide maximum grip even in the heat of the final game.

CUSTOMIZABLE LIGHT SYSTEM
Color up your mouse: Fully customize the look of the Kone the way you want. The Light System comprises 5 LEDs which are capable of displaying the full spectrum of colors. You can independently change the color of any LED and activate special light effects – or simply turn off the lights.

CUSTOMIZE THE WEIGHT
Only 118g (133g with cable) make this mouse an ultra light weight pre*ci*sion instrument. If you prefer a heavier mouse, choose between four different weights (5g, 10g, 15g, 20g) from the FastClip Weight Kit. Simply clip the weight into the dedi*ca*ted slot. Only one press of a button relea*ses the weight again. That’s it. No complicated processes involving unplugging and opening the mouse, no loss of warranty – just two clicks and you’re done.

Am used to Logitech mice having used the mx500 and mx700 so i might just go for the 518.
Cheers for input :thumb:

I currently use the Logitech G5. Has adjustable weight(s) settings and you can change DPI on-the-fly. I've bought Razer mice in the past but they are either really small mice, or I have large hands. I think Razer mice are designed more for your fingers to rest on rather than your whole hand to hold (in my experience anyway).

All this adjustable weights soudns nice, but lets be honest: it's nonesense.
No matter if your mouse weights 200g or 300g, you get used to it anyway.

Personally i use a MX518 and it's more than enough to play nicely. Ofc some wannabe-pro gamers might say: you have to have 3000+dpi, but imho that's bollox.

Tnega is nearly 50 years old, so no matter which mouse he'll get, not the mouse is the limited factor, it's him anyway ;)

I currently use the Logitech G5. Has adjustable weight(s) settings and you can change DPI on-the-fly. I've bought Razer mice in the past but they are either really small mice, or I have large hands. I think Razer mice are designed more for your fingers to rest on rather than your whole hand to hold (in my experience anyway).

That is also true, I find the Deathadder to be suited to players who use a claw grip (like myself), and to players who use a low sensitivity (hence pick the mouse up alot to move left/right).

I also tried the Roccat Kone which Banshee linked but didn't like it at all, it skipped on my ultra low sens :P and if you pick the mouse up a little bit in the air, your cursor starts going haywire, if you use a fast sens and never lift the mouse then the Kone would be a good option as well.

So it depends what kind of a player you are Tnega, but as Bart said if you're not serious about gaming then a MX518will be just fine.

Edit: http://www.esreality.com/?a=longpost&id=1300293&page=5 some stats and reviews on various mice.

Last edited:
All this adjustable weights soudns nice, but lets be honest: it's nonesense.
No matter if your mouse weights 200g or 300g, you get used to it anyway.

True. I haven't put any weights in and I've the mouse about a year now. The mouse is fine without the weights, and can't see why anyone would want a weighted down mouse. It's all personal perference though:)

i use intellimouse optical for 10 years.nice size and comfortable and does the job

riv uses microsoft habu gaming mouse, which he got free cause his microsoft laser 6000 broke and microsoft replaced it free of charge under warranty.

so a little hint to anyone get a microsoft mouse!! they have good customer service and in my experience there is a chance a mouse usb wire can break within 2/5 years.

Used to have mx700 or whatever it was, cordless, quite decent but very annoying with recharging so after few years i switched to mx518 and im quite happy with it.

Roccat Kone was good while it lasted. Mousewheel stopped working a couple of days after the warranty ran out.
Read around the net, and the mousewheel bug is apparently pretty common with those, so I went out and got a Razer DeathAdder instead.

I use the MX518 on my laptop.. still working flawlessly after almost 4 years.. =)