*Swoon* I'm in love! [Part 2]

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I still don't get wot's the big deal when it comes to no-cd checks and patches.

Is it really that much hassle to change the cd in the drive??

I prefer a nocd patch so i dont have to look for the cd every time i wanna play. since my personal organisation is quite bad i prefer it.
also cuts down on loadtimes i think.

It's simple. Just be a messy slob and dump ur cd's in a large pile ontop of ur PC. (Not in their cases)

@Goose:

1. I have a hard disk so that I don't have to run games from floppies/CD any more. Having to have a CD in the drive if the game is installed is pointless IMO.

2. NOCD cuts down on wear and tear on the CD. Ever noticed that a CD which is constantly being spun up and down comes out the drive really hot? Can't be good for it. Sure, I could get a replacement if I needed from the shop, or tech support, but I'd rather a small official patch disabling the CD check than a running battle and 28 day way for a replacement from tech support.

3. Ever think that I might want my CD drive for other things?

The simple fact is, the number 1 reason why I don't play UT2003 is because of the requirement for the CD to be in the drive. I object to such a lame "anti-piracy" measure when I have a legit copy of the game, and it does absolutely sod all to prevent piracy anyway. It is an annoyance, an inconvenience and doesn't fulfill its stated purpose. Ergo, it is superfluous and useless.

:D

Originally posted by Thuringwethil
@Goose:

1. I have a hard disk so that I don't have to run games from floppies/CD any more. Having to have a CD in the drive if the game is installed is pointless IMO.

2. NOCD cuts down on wear and tear on the CD. Ever noticed that a CD which is constantly being spun up and down comes out the drive really hot? Can't be good for it. Sure, I could get a replacement if I needed from the shop, or tech support, but I'd rather a small official patch disabling the CD check than a running battle and 28 day way for a replacement from tech support.

The simple fact is, the number 1 reason why I don't play UT2003 is because of the requirement for the CD to be in the drive. I object to such a lame "anti-piracy" measure when I have a legit copy of the game, and it does absolutely sod all to prevent piracy anyway. It is an annoyance, an inconvenience and doesn't fulfill its stated purpose. Ergo, it is superfluous and useless.

1.Yes, fair comment.

2.Make a backup copy of ur CD, or find a *cough* unofficial patch *cough*

3.Have more than one CD drive and look l33t.

*Disclaimer* It is not reccomended by Mark Humphreys that you take any of these points seriously, excluding the unofficial patch.

CHnaging CDs all teh time annoys me. I hate having to go get the dam CD.

ALways before i'd think....

Reach for UT2003 CD, insert, find case for old CD that was in drive, wait for disk to spin, click play

or

Hit that UT1 icon and play UT1 instead

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Humph
2.Make a backup copy of ur CD, or find a *cough* unofficial patch *cough*

3.Have more than one CD drive and look l33t.

2. Tried this. As you're legally allowed to make backups for your own, legally owned/licensed software in the UK, its a pain that you can't actually make working backups of the UT2003 discs. Best I managed was to get a copy which would install, but not autorun. Which would mean faffing about with no-CD hacks, which I trust about as far as I could throw an elephant (i.e. not at all) or the "virtual CD" drive software tosh. Again, I don't see why I should have to do this.

3. I already have 1 DVD drive and 1 CD/RW drive, but that is not the point. Far as I'm concerned, I should only need to put a disc in when installing, and never thereafter.

Someone else summed it up nicely before:

Option 1: Click on UT1 icon, straight into game and online.
Option 2: Get UT2003 cd from case, insert into drive, wait for it to be detected, wait for it to spin up, wait for the game to load, and then randomly thereafter have the game chug as it reads the CD check from the CD again, with the spinning disk sound distracting you from in-game sounds.

Sure as hell know which option I prefer in the absence of an official no-CD patch for UT2003...

@Goose:

Aye, the requirement for having cds in the drive never was that successful anyway, I can't really see the need for it on every sodding game. It is strange Microsoft never forced us to have the OS cd in a drive whenever it was started tho? :confused:

wait for it to spin up, wait for the game to load, and then randomly thereafter have the game chug as it reads the CD check from the CD again, with the spinning disk sound distracting you from in-game sounds.

Cant say my CD ever spins up after 2K3 has reached the nVidia logo

A moot point now that the latest official patch (2225) is out, and which removes the CD check! :D