[Suggestion] New Maps

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

endgegner

The Saviour of UTA. Worship me as DJ worships sofa
Mar 5, 2006
Boston
I don't know whether or not this has been discussed in UTA before, and at the moment I'm a bit too lazy to look through every post discussing the subject, hope this isn't redundant: A clanmate and I were discussing earlier this evening about the lack of map selection in UTA matches. It's obvious by the map popularity page (http://utassault.net/servers/bookings/mapreport.php) that only about 10 maps are being played repeatedly out of about 23.

Quite a few new maps have been created recently (Navarone, LostTemple, Dustbowl, AsthenoSE, RiverSE, LavaSE, OverDE, BioSE) and there are some other older maps which have been played semi-frequently (Saqqara, Rocketcommand, Coldersteel, BioAssault, Vampire, Gladiator2), all of which don't nearly get enough playing time in competitive 6v6 situations in order to give good feedback as to what changes might be good to include the maps in the league, this is obviously especially true for newer maps.

There has often been discussion of adding mandatory "test maps" to league matches in order to get some of these maps played and tested, but that hasn't come about for a variety of reasons, considerably that not every player consents to playing these new maps and can't be arsed to download them.

I was from this conversation with my clanmate that spurred the idea to create a new UTA ladder dedicated solely to playing and testing possible new maps for the league (and if not league maps, just playing non-league maps, for example: BioSE is a map I enjoy playing, but personally don't see fit for the league), this ladder would consist of "test matches" in which new maps are tested and played in a semi-competitive 6v6 league. The benefits of having a seperate ladder for this would be that only players who want to play would have to play (much better than forcing StdAS clans to play imo, and would guarantee some activity); these maps would get played all the time with better and , rather than the occasional pick in a PUG with half-arsed tactics; this league would be much more competitive than a PUG or public server, would allow for clans to practice these maps, and the competition of the ladder provides incentive to play and learn the maps. Personally I feel that having 1 required match per month, maybe two servers alloted to this ladder and a couple of dedicated clans would do a good job at increasing the maps seen in the league and satisfy some of us who would like to see new maps played in matches.

Is this possible, or should I stop wasting my time? :P

Definetly sounds like a good idea to me, and its probably a good way to keep the league alive for longer as well! :)

" you {Smant} sagt:
now plz post if you like the idea and say "good idea" or something like askagorn did you bitch!
you {Smant} sagt:
Because talking to me on MSN doesn't tell the community how tyou feel! :rofl:"

Good idea m8, would add a bit of spice 2 the maplists;)

" you {Smant} sagt:
now plz post if you like the idea and say "good idea" or something like askagorn did you bitch!
you {Smant} sagt:
Because talking to me on MSN doesn't tell the community how tyou feel! :rofl:"

Good idea m8, would add a bit of spice 2 the maplists;)

:rofl: looking @ ur post & sig it looks like you have a fetish of quoting me :lol:

I dont see how this can work? Maybe one of the league servers cab be set up in pug style so people can play a New map pug? There are barely enough active clans in the main league why do you thing this would work purely for test maps?

IMO admins should just add Dungeons, AsthenoSE and Saqqara to the maplist without asking clan reps. The way it is now is taking 6months just to get a map agreed on, tested then a further 3 months for it to be voted... What is the point?

Just add please.

IMO admins should just add Dungeons, AsthenoSE and Saqqara to the maplist without asking clan reps.

That's exactly why no one values your opinion that much. We're blessed with some bit of democracy in the league, no sense throwing it away without reason.

StdAS now has 3 divisions, if a new ladder were to be set up of active players, 1 division (no need for more), 1 match required per month, maybe match format set to best of 8 (or even: play 6 maps no matter what, at the end of 6 maps whoever won most maps wins, but I don't know how complicated that would be to code) instead of best of 14 so players play a 1 hour match once a month. No real need to play 4 matches a month or a full 2 hour match and detract from other ladders. However, we're at the peak of league activity in the past year perhaps and at a peak of people griping about the lack of variety of maps. This is one solution, and I think it's worth implementing.

Yes smant we got 3 div's and i'm happy with it. I don't want to split it with making another useless ladder which will be most probably closed sooner then later.
I would rather make something like pug match once in a week with all new maps only. Whoever wants to play he'll just come without involving league system into it. Same time/date every week. 6-7 NEW maps pickup game is what i would like to see.

Does the majority of the league even want new maps? its all well and good the same few ppl pushing for new maps all the time but when the admins did the poll to add dungeons only 16 clans voted out of 40-47 active clans, that to me shows that a lot of clans cant be bothered about new maps.

Maps like Navarone, LostTemple, Dustbowl, need to be played to make sure there are no bugs in them first of all, there is little point trying to play them competitvely without that prior testing.
Maps like AsthenoSE, RiverSE should if anything be alternative league maps rather than additionals which make them easier to add.
LavaSE, OverDE, BioSE pointless IMO
Saqqara, Rocketcommand, Coldersteel, BioAssault, Vampire, Gladiator2 have all been played for a long time, there are ppl that llike them but a lot more that dont. I cant see how any of these maps would get into the league without some major reworking, there is only 1 maybe 2 ppl that play around with the maps and even then it takes them quite a while to suitably modify a map if youre asking for major modifications. they arent going to be able to modify all 7 maps + new maps on a weekly basis for you to playtest and I think it would be a bit much expecting them to do so.

As for your ladder suggestion you are better off just using a server for a single night every fortnight to play all the test maps you want, that should give sufficient time between games to work on maps if needed, you could use pug style if you want more varied teams otherwise let people organise themselves. To make a continuous ladder would not be overly useful as the list of maps youve put is pretty much all the valid maps that can be considered for league entry, once (if) they are all added to league what maps would you play :P

Last edited:
well i do like smant's idea i think there will not be enough clans active to play i think... i am certainly up for it but i doubt there are lot's of them...

I am pretty much sick of all of the custom maps because i played them about 1000000 times already... im playing pugs mainly for the 1 or 2 new maps that are being picked every now and then. and then it are mostly the same new maps (dungeons, sequarra)

Brajans idea is better imo. you can prob make a poll and ask how much people are actually up for it... you can make a poll with 8 options : No and yes, monday, yes, tuesday and so on.

you can agree on one evening in the week and put that also in the pug info... think that's the best idea

That's exactly why no one values your opinion that much. We're blessed with some bit of democracy in the league, no sense throwing it away without reason.

StdAS now has 3 divisions, if a new ladder were to be set up of active players, 1 division (no need for more), 1 match required per month, maybe match format set to best of 8 (or even: play 6 maps no matter what, at the end of 6 maps whoever won most maps wins, but I don't know how complicated that would be to code) instead of best of 14 so players play a 1 hour match once a month. No real need to play 4 matches a month or a full 2 hour match and detract from other ladders. However, we're at the peak of league activity in the past year perhaps and at a peak of people griping about the lack of variety of maps. This is one solution, and I think it's worth implementing.

Why start a serious thread and then flame the serious reply that I make? 3 division? Last I checked it was 2 divisions with a few clans with barely 6 players making just enough for a 3rd division. There are half the clans in that league who just aren't willing to play pubs/pugs regularly and are only around to a) keep the league alive and b) play a few times a month with their friends.

Saqqara has been around for fucking ages, it is being in loads of pugs lately, mainly because I pick it and it has been fully defended just once in 4v4/5v5/6v6 in the past 30+ times its been played. Some people like it some dont, that shouldnt be the issue. This version is pretty good imo and its the same old people who say its shit. (those that cant complete it, it seems)

AsthenoSE has proven to be popular and much preferred option than the other Asthenospheres. This is why this should be added without clanRep. Mainly due to the fact Astheno is never picked anymore. I dont see the harm in this really...it wont affect anyone.

Dungeons everyone likes, I have yet to see anyone say a bad thing about this (except the ending being rather difficult to finish). IMHO this map would be defended 100% in div1 involving 8/mod/noob if it is played with the dors being closed and the option to spam that defence. However, I am certainly in favour of it getting added.

These maps have now been around since the start of the year and still havent been decided. Either add them without clan reps or remove them from pug server as its pointless if no one will ever get them into league. And then the same little crying noobs who ask for new maps every week can finally stfu.

New maps will do nothing to this league now. Its dead enough, and throwing in new maps could swing it diff ways, clans will prac them and think something of it, or clans will think fuck this its pointless cba bla bla. I myself wud like to see only dungeon added as well all no that map now. And voting is a complete waste of time hence hardly any replies on others. Either throw in dungeon as wee all no it or just scrap the idea

My other point is about MyM saying clanreps arent voting. This problem is due to the fact that those who voted are the ones that play pug. The other clan reps who didnt vote or who have voted no are the ones who do not play pug therefore do not know the map. The majority of those who know the map like it and given the opportunity, those who didnt vote would like it aswell. It has all the attributes needed for a good map.

Saqqara just had a big discussion in #utapug.

Basically I believe this is assaultable no matter how organised the defense. If an organised attack is done it is assaultable for sure. Therefore a 6v6 test will be performaned to see the result. My theory exists on the fact that in every pug its played it is not defended full time. Infact the last pug it was played both teams assaulted in under 3mins.

Well on the subject of clanreps: Look at the overall population of active players in UTA, then look how many actually use the forums. 40/16 is about the same ratio there. You can't expect everyone to vote I guess and the clanreps that do use forums do vote. What probably needs to happen is an email should be sent out to clanreps every time there's a new poll, but that's a hassle.

There are 29 clan reps assigned, out of fourty something clans, these are the people that are allowed to vote.

Out of those 29 all except maybe 4 have been on the forums in the last 5 days, 90% are less than 1 day, of those 4 that havent been on in the last week at least 2 I know are on holiday, that to me says that pretty much all clan reps are active on forums. Clan reps are unsurprisingly there to represent your clan, that means you only need one person from your clan to make your rep aware of the vote so that really is no excuse.

The majority of people in UTA just cant be bothered to do anything, especially if it involves some effort such as having to check out maps although unfortunately they are quite happy to complain about things :(

Well, I'm trying to provide a solution to checking out maps here now :P

Don't know how well the pug idea would work though. Most people cba with pug because it takes so long, brings out so many flames and then others don't have/use IRC. I know there are quite a few members of my own clan who are interested in playing new maps and I know there are only 2 clan members who regularly use IRC. It would be cool to set up a server with custom maps on it and have a testmap pug just to test and see how that idea would work.