style ur windows

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Bart

Mister Mediocre
Jan 10, 2002
Germany
You are bored of the Windows default or the Luna surface? Then change the style of Windows.

The small program (1.9MB) is called Aston and can be found here.
This program change ur complete GUI (mouse pointer, taskbar, window style and much more). The good thing is, that it's for free and no trail version.

The default package consists of only 3 different skins.
But here you can download over 360 different skins.

I didn't notice any performance loses on my 1.2GHz (384MB RAM) machine.

Reactions: F@TBOY
sweet i'll give that a try - last time I tried replacing the dll file to change my theme my computer majorly fucked up and I had to format believe it or not so never tried it again! hehe :spin:

I went the cheap way, just patched the uxtheme.dll to be able to install non-Microsoft themes. (from stylexp.org or deviantart for example)

:)

ah fuck it I'll try again can sum1 gimme a link or email me the uxtheme.dll file please?

[email protected] is my addy

oh and joko can u send me that nice chrome theme u use please?

Ive looked at screenies of that Aston stuff, and some themes look pretty damn good.
Some themes have weird stuff.. like extra buttons, menus, etc etc everywhere. Is that part of the program or do I need to download extra software for that? Because that was the case with ThemeXP and i dont want zillion of programs for 1 theme..

Lex_Mortis said:
Some themes have weird stuff.. like extra buttons, menus, etc etc everywhere. Is that part of the program or do I need to download extra software for that?
that's part of the program. You just have to download the Aston program (1.9MB) and the theme you want (size depends).
All buttons i tried worked perfect for me.
There also extra menues and you can activate 2 extra taskbars for both sides.

I hate that program :puke:. It was long time ago when I tried it so I don't know how its changed. The process of navigating was very restrictive compared to the windows desktop... maybe it has changed now :confused:

had a look at it, dont think u can beat the modified dll, so uncomplicated and doesnt try and take over :)

Ok, I installed that Aston stuff... but the colorstuff stays on Silver from XP, which doesnt look good at all with other themes mixed in.. why doesnt it change that too?? :\

Plus some themes wont let me make the taskbar bigger. (I always use double size)

Another annoying thing is that changes in some window on the taskbar, lets say a new msg in a msn window doesnt lit up as it normally does... just the text in it goes from white to grey, i will never notice that..

More annoying stuff:
no real desktop, so where to put my standard icons n stuff?
some themes have extra menus, thats np.. but its filled with shite like some theme had a game menu with games+links i dont even have.
some themes seem poorly made/scripted when it comes to XP and/or different languages, like with links to "c:\my documents"

There is prolly more stuff which I will find annoying, so back to silver xp theme...

This does look like a very good program :)
How easy would it b for me to fuck this up ...lol
Last time i tryed to do this thing, i had to format, cause windows would not load :(

Reactions: Bart
Hmm.. looks way to crowded... but i'd like a simple, nice looking windows bar for my Win2000...will try it out after vacation to the mountains :)

@ Ice: Prolly where u change the normal XP ones, u can import the new ones you've d/ld ;)

Last edited:
no real desktop, so where to put my standard icons n stuff?
some themes have extra menus, thats np
It's easy to create a shortcut and set it on the desktop. That's similiar to the normal Win desktop.

some themes have extra menus, thats np.. but its filled with shite like some theme had a game menu with games+links i dont even have.
What's the problem? you can customize all buttons/links. Add/delete all links you want to have or don't want to have.

but the colorstuff stays on Silver from XP, which doesnt look good at all with other themes mixed in.. why doesnt it change that too??
dunno, i could change all colors in the way i wanted them.

Last time i tryed to do this thing, i had to format, cause windows would not load
How do you manage it, that you had to reinstall Windows? :confused:
If you don't like it just switch to ur normal Windows desktop and deinstall it.

Ofcourse you've to spent some time (like Masterrr mentioned) to customize all of ur fav proggies and themes, but then it works fine.
I like especially the extra menues :D.

btw: wow nice desktop Masterrr :thumb:

Last edited: