Stopping with cigarettes.

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Lül, nice example, not gonna try it =) but I get the point. Will think of it when I'm cold turkeying in the corner of my room.

Yeah also thought of that, but I tried a beer yesterday to test how much smoking urge I would get and it wasn't that bad. (Maybe because I still got the flu abit.)

All I needed to know was the fact that physical dependency on Nicotine only lasts for 24 hours. After that, it's all in your mind. :) For me, stopping with cigarettes was really easy. I hope it will turn out the same for you.

you could also try to get rid of your addiction by becomming addicted to something else (wow, girls, heroin, sports)

I'm already addicted to all of the above. Yeah I got enough distraction (work, rl, wow, ps3) . And yeah it's only 24hour physical (which are long gone by now, tnx illness) Just have to hang on.

Well smoking has two different components of adiction. The physical part, the nicotine ofc and the psychological part. The later could be split into social components and habitual ones.

So you should try to keep your hands and or mouth distracted with something else, but harmless, like chewing gums etc if the lack of the smoking habit causes you problems. (Dont use nicotine gums so, since your trying to get away from oral nicotine consume...) Another point is the social part. Masterrr basicly summed it up already. Try to avoid situations in which you used to smoke a lot, like getting drunk with your mates and other social happenings. Additionaly alcohole greatly reduces your selfcontroll so totaly avoiding alc might help a lot. Oh and never ever make an exception... "one is nothing" doesnt aply here. That counts even for "later" when ur already clean for a few month. Basicly, like alcoholics, you will have to stay completly clean if you dont wanna fall back into the old habits.

Getting lose from the physical addiciton could be very hard to rather easy depending on your bodychemistry and your smoking history (how long, much, etc). The "cold" method your trying is usualy rather hard but far more rewarding then the others.

Oh and reading uselesses exsample (how nasty :lol:) Heres another method that could help... Find a jar or something (made of glas or plastic as long as its transparent) and every evening you throw in the money you saved that day by not smoking! I dont know the prises in nl but im sure they aint much lower then here, so basicly it will add up rather fast. Thats quite an impressive view after the 3 weeks it usualy takes... Its important to see your own progress and how it actualy raises your life quality instead of decreasing it, like many smokers falsely fear :)

PS: I never stopped smoking, cos i never started. But I grew up in a family with clinical psychologists so i picked up a few tricks and ideas ;)

4th day now. 0 physical effects. I do think of smoking the entire time, it's like an invisible force from within is thinking of how to get hold of a cigarette. But then as you said when I get distracted that force goes away instantly.

Maybe having the flu still helps alot as I don't want a cigarette. Monday I have to work again, there the routines will come again xD. But then I already stopped a week, should be easy by then.

This won't make you feel any better but I don't really understand how a person gets addicted to smoking, as opposed to hating it forever. I always hated smoking and thought people who did it were just doing it to look cool or fit in or something, then I realised a lot of it is hereditary in a way (like if your parents or people around you smoke when you're young you get used to intaking secondary nicotine from the smoke and you end up with a bit of a psych-dependency on it). But I thought there was no reason for someone like me (whose parents don't smoke) to take it up. But I didn't want to be ignorant so when I started a new job where EVERYONE else smoked I took it up for a bit just to not knock it before I'd tried it. I bought packs of 20 Regal KS and sat and smoked them in my lunch hour for about a week, and nothing happened (yes, I inhaled). I ended up just giving away nearly full packs to people in the park and never smoked again.

Not everyone who smokes will get addicted or even see the point in doing it at all. So if you are addicted it's probably something more to do with your personal circumstances or physiology rather than the cigarettes themselves. My little sister started smoking in high school because she thought it would make her look cooler, and she still does it and her health is now suffering. I think my point is that smoking is fuck-dumb and everyone else is an idiot, the end.

I started because of smoking weed ;(

I also was anti smoking when I was younger, but then all my friends started with weed, so I joined in and it was epic fun. After some weeks of hardcore smoking I thought I was addicted to the smoking of weed , but it was the cigarettes ;(

you only need to think. of this post when you put your cigerette in your hand
sample.jpg

THANKS XB I WAS EATING MY DINNER

i ve never had the urge to smoke (my parents are non-smokers) but many of my family members smoke or did it. for me the disadvantages are way too high considering the gains (being cool and having something to do in a club)

the obvious ones is ofc health and money... but imo smokers usually smell bad to non-smokers, kissing a smoker is disgusting, and i ve heard from my mate (after he stopped smoking) the food tastes better. personally i feel bothered by smokers when they light a cig (maybe this is because im somewhat intolerant to smoking)

a friend of mine stopped smoking, every time he had the urge of smoking he drank some water - dont know if that really helps though :D

Yeah my flu is almost gone, I just ate a nice breakfast/lunch and after it a cigarette would have been so nice xD

But I'm strong RAWRR!!

but imo smokers usually smell bad to non-smokers, kissing a smoker is disgusting

Ye I know what you mean. I know this girl, a friend of a friend, and I like everything about her except the fact that she's a smoker. I just can't get past the fact that she smokes, so it puts me off, even while she's effing gorgeous and great company and smart, etc. Pity. Her loss lol.

But I'm strong RAWRR!!

You had two, didn't you? :whatever:

Well done on stopping somebody real close to me who didn't even smoke much only 5 a day or so just got cancer fairly young so you're doing the right thing.