Somebody, Anybody help me make this...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Darkheart

Jun 9, 2001
Somewhere
I've mailed this to all the mappers I could think of and not 1 response so I post it here in the hope that maybe someone can either develop it or help me develop it... This is a level I'd really enjoy playing and I think other people would too.

I've been trying to develop this level myself for about 3 months but have come to the conclusion that I SUCK at Unreal ED. I have a lot of good ideas but unfortunatly cannot implement them so I hope someone will give them a go.

Here's a sketch out idea for an AS level called Revolution, I'll skip the plot because it's unecssary here (and who cares?). I've recently found out how to get driveable models into UT so this level incorporates some of them all the driveables where going to be scripted movers before but much more fun to let the teams drive them no?

Revolution
==========

Opening attackers start in at the bottom of a rocky canyon next to 2 heuy helicopters. Weapons are Flack and Mini there are also to Driver's Liscenses to enable 2 people to fly each heli, even if they don't have the maledriver1 actor in use. Everyone piles into the heli's for a run through the canyon which is quite large (VERY high) with a few twists and turns A river runs down the middle of it. There are also a few SAM sites (RL's triggered within a certain radius to aim at the helis). There objective is to reach a cavern which is guarded by a gate which goes over and under the river in an arch. (See pic attached as 1stob, and yes I SUCK at drawing too). There is a switch in a guardhouse next to the cavern wall which the attackers must hit to open the main door.

Defenders spawn inside master control (WAY back of map) and can enter 4 inital teleportersr which take them to Tower 1 (closest to Attackers Spawn) from this open tower they can fire RL at incoming Helis tower is similar to Overlord Towers except allow for more visibility looking up.

Tower 2 Further back Sniper tower for sniping incoming heli and passangers.

River 1 Pops out next to one of the Sam sites lots of RL ammo + mini to catch any "leapers" into the river and again harass the helis.

River 2 Pops out next to the station for final def of the obj. @ River 2 there is also a small auto cannon to prevent heli guy from dumping the heli right next to the station.

Scene 2:
(2nd spawn at doc entrance)

Small explosion as doors open leads us through to a dock (assorted crates cranes etc and wood surfaces). There 3 ways through the stacks for crates but all lead to the final area where there is another control panel which must be destroyed to open doors to slipways where 2 PT boats are waiting. Players can hammerjump up over the crates if they want (creates are 6 normal jumps heigh). Attackers get Pulse, Goo and Mini.

Defenders and have choice of 3 teleports (old teleports now become inactive).

Tele 1: Takes them to the Crane for some sniping fun although crates will stop sniper from dominating as they will block of vision.

Tele 2: Takes them to central crate area (flack and Mini) for main def.

Tele 3: Takes them to Control station for a last ditch def (goo and minis).

Scene 3
=======
(new spawn under dock in slipways) path leads down for sucessful attackers through a door that ONLY opens for defenders from the outside (doesn't open at all from the other side).

Attackers now pick up 4 drivers liscenese located next to 2 PT boats and can now drive PT boats down the river towards the final complex. River splits into three tributarys allowing 3 possible routes. 2 islands rise up on either side for use that you will see l8r. After splitting the river opens out to a big expanse of water with docks on other side. They reach a dock on the other side and from there hit the switch to open the nearly the last door (honest ;) ).

Defenders Spawn in a new room with 5 new teleports.

Teleport 1: HELI PAD! Wohoo finally the defenders can give as well as recieve. Jump onto a heli pick up a liscense and go and nuke those boats as they come in. Canny players can load up the heli with 3 other players and drop them onto the boats to really make this fun.

Teleport 2: Dumps out onto the Dock just outside the complex for that final defense.

Teleport 3: Another Sniper Tower

Teleport 4: Remeber those 2 islands? Well this teleport takes you onto the top of the one on the left so you can jump onto the boat as it passes as well as laying into them with RL fire.

Teleport 5: Does the same but on the right island.

Scene 4
=======

Attackers now spawn @ dock.

Industrial complex with steel walkways etc leads always upwards (several launch sites) to final room. This should not be a long section should take 30 seconds to cover the distance or so. Final room has an enclosure that will only fit one guy. A switch on the other side of the wall unlocks the door which then only opens for defenders. The room has a gallery above it which the defenders can fire down from. Once entering the chamber a platform which raises up to a Redeemer (Redeemer respawns every 30 secs) pickup there is then a funnel exit at the top of the chamber which allows the player inside the chamber to to fire the redeemer without being hit. The player then has to pilot the redeemer through a network of any 3 passages to hit the reactor exhaust which will blow up the reactor and win the game. The passages should be awkward but not that difficult or hugely long. Time taken from start to finish should be around 30 seconds ONLY a direct hit should take out the exhause 1st time although it maybe possible to take out the exhaust with sucessive shots.

Ok so how to the defenders stop this? Well obviously they can stop players getting into the chamber using various weaps. They can shoot down into the room from the gallery (NO SNIPER or rockets Available) to stop them getting into the chamber. Finally they can disable the covering around the redeemer firer by hitting 2 buttons in the chamber which remove his protection. So while an attacker is in the tube the other attackers must defend the 2 buttons to stop the defenders from being able to kill the redeemer firer. (I like this idea defenders becoming attackers and vice versa ;) ). Hitting the 2 buttons in 30 seconds should be quite hard unless the def is really working like a team should probably be a small amount of medium damage lava under the buttons to prevent camping (say 20 dam a sec).

Defenders have 3 teleporters for this bit:

Gallery
Near Final Room.
1/2 way to final room.

End Sequnce
===========

Entire Big Complex thingie blows up heuy flys out of the complex during explosion and roars past the camera :), unorginal but satisfying enough.

For information on driveables go here: http://heavymetal.unrealism.com/ you can get prefabs of huey and PT boat from here. Helis should be set to take 2000 Dam before blowing PT boat should take 3000.

Ok so am I crazy and hopelessly deluded or will it work? Do you think you could do this or help me do this?

Darkheart

Last edited:
A level on that scale is one serious undertaking and the unreal engine does not handle levels that big very well at all (thats part of the new wizzy stuff in the new engine, decent terrain engine). Also a lot of that stuff (such as SAMs) is gonna require some serious scripting so you aint looking just for a mapper but also a scripter.

In effect you aren't making an assault level at all, but pretty much a whole new game type (although more or less an extension of AS). This kinda complex game play is what I think assault always should have been, something more than 1 minute runs or 10 minute spam attacks. Still I think your wading too far out into deep water trying to undertake a project like this. Its a 2-3 man job for people with quite a bit of mapping and scripting knowledge.

:( I was hoping to "borrow" the code for the SAM sites from AS-Bridge (the rocket cannon at the end of bridge). Could careful Zoning get around the problem of large level size?

The hardest scripting bit I think would be the end part with the redeemer as you'd have to:

Make the door to chamber go up and down real quick and only in close proximity of attacker also chamber has THICK
walls.

As soon as attacker enters chamber a message to all players saying "An Attacker has breached the firing chamber!"

Enable button 1 & 2 (the remain disabled the rest of the time to prevent def getting the redeemer).

On both buttons hit then panels open for 15 secs (should be enough time to kill blokey but hopefully not enough for redeemer to respawn). The close up again deactivate buttons then probably bring the lift right the way up to crush anyone trying to camp in the funnel (either that or have some auto cannon in there that ONLY fires at this time).

If this is really a lost cause then might as well bin the idea :( :( :( I had already decieded it was too hard for me but was hoping someone with more skills could do it. BTW I agree with u AS SHOULD be co-ordinated missions with everyone playing different team roles not the spamfest it so often degenerates into.

Darkheart

Last edited: