Server one is great!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

co-location would be great at uk2.net.

However, its expensive and someone would have to provide the hardware (I could probably provide 60% of it).

---
£299 - Setup fee
---
£199 per month, per mbit
2mbit = £398 (plus 512k free, so 2.5mbit in total)
3mbit = £596 (plus 512k free, so 3.5mbit in total)
--

£398 per month

Thoughts
- uk2.net colocation would be the mutts nuts for most people, its right on the London Docklands core, so even people in the furthest parts of Europe etc should fine it good. Try and ping 213.239.56.138 for a bad example of how good UK2 may be.
- We could run 2/3 servers on the 1 box depending upon the hardware specifications.
- This is the cheapest co-location in the UK - these prices should show how expensive bandwidth really is - and that we take it for granted most of the time :P
- This is guarenteed sustained bandwidth for our use only. (i.e. not shared)

Questions I can't answer:
- How many 12 player servers could run at the same time on a 2.5mbit connection?
- Can we afford this between us? PER MONTH! :eek:

Originally posted by thePROPHET!

For the Connection?? Unlimited Transfers included? :rolleyes:

I pressed Post by mistake, read the rest. Yes unlimited transfer, it would be our own leased bandwidth.

Originally posted by Martz
Questions I can't answer:
- How many 12 player servers could run at the same time on a 2.5mbit connection?
2.5MBit = 320Kb/s / 10Kb/s = 32 Players (2 Servers running on this box should be enough, to reserve bandwidth and CPU power)
(10KB/s means NetSpeed=10000)
- Can we afford this between us? PER MONTH! :eek:
£398 per month / £10 (from each clan) = min. 40 Clans needed to pay.

;)

Hardware should be min. Dual P3 or Dual P2 or P3 XEON and running Windows NT4.0 (ofcourse), Memory is not much an issue, 512MB should be enough :P

Phil contact me about this topic in ICQ or IRC, I'd have some ideas for you

I think it is a great idea
=[FDC]= can really only use Server 3 at the moment, as some of our players refuse to play on Server 1 and others will not play on Server 2. I know, I know, petulence, and they deserve to be put over my knee and spanked :spank:

BUT! If we have the option of paying a small amount of cash and getting a server with better ping, hell yeah.:D

We already pay cash for a clan server, and managed to work out the logistics of getting cash from people to get that running.:cool:

Wait and see what the results of the poll are, and if we have enough people agree, then look into the whys and wherefores of HOW to do it.:deal:

We pay for our server 6 months at a time, the league servers neednt be monthly, and (asides from clans leaving and joining) might be easier to collect the cash quarterly, meaning less hit to pay for changing currencies each time.:D

its an interesting idea for sure :)

Martzs post looks a good en, although i dont think u should have to supply 60% of the hardware mate, bit steep on u init?

and phil would this subscription thing be clan or individual ppl?

Check www.ilangame.com , they said they will be adding server to the UK. To rent a US server it's only $40/month, don't know what it will be for the UK servers.

You get:
?Full control over server name
?Public server ? its only passworded if you want it to be
?FTP access ? you have unlimited (well 2GB) of room for your server, so slap as many maps up there as you want
?Web Admin Access
?DNS redirection to your server (server can be set up to work with the IP, or yourserver.ilanstation.com)
?Free phone support (within reason)
?24/7 server uptime with the occasional scheduled outage (late at night)

i'm currently looking for co-location in holland.. demon.nl is too expensive so is vuurwerk.nl i guess...

atm looking @ sth that's quite cheap... i'll report back to ya l8r :)

I've spoken to Games-World, and so far ive managed to swing it so that if we send em an NT license they will put NT back on it, so thats a start, i'm in extended talks about trying to once again get our own kit hosted there, ill do what I can :)

Now we need a NT license :D

I got a spare windowsnt 4 workstation licance though its an oem one that came with a compaq whould this do ?

Ok, it is done :D Games-World will host a server for us, I've just gotta give it to them in writting that I am giving them the kit, they will then plug it in for us :D

Martz is sorting a license for the server, and apparently MyM has a server for us. I'll get it all together, set it up, ship it to GW and we should be in business :D

Originally posted by Phear
I'd see it working like this, as a league member your either a subscription member or a non-subscription member. As a subscription member you must pay X per month (Say £10 or so). We then have free league servers and subscription league servers, where subscription members can book both, and non-subscription members can only book the free servers.

What if some players in a clan are subscribed and some arent, then you get the problem that you only can play on payserver if you are sure you got a full team of subscribed players (or is a leaguemember a clan :confused: )

Last edited:
Originally posted by Phear
Ok, it is done :D Games-World will host a server for us, I've just gotta give it to them in writting that I am giving them the kit, they will then plug it in for us :D

Martz is sorting a license for the server, and apparently MyM has a server for us. I'll get it all together, set it up, ship it to GW and we should be in business :D

:eek: Does that mean that mean that server1 will be good again and we get a server#4?

Server 1 *should* be better than it was before it went to linux, any problems certainly wont be with the server itself but down to routing.

As for a Server 4, "maybe", I would have thought we'd at least get another 2v2 server out of it too.