Scary / horror games...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

only FPS's that genuinely gave me a scare were doom 3 (untill i figured out that every fucking closet by a door had a zombie in it) and FEAR (only the first one and only untill i figured out that if i dont get shot at for 30 sec or longer almas about to show up)

I would add a non FPS game nonetheless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpUfZ2m2jYI&t=5m10s

Dune II, the sound effects, narrator voice and music created a truly oppressive atmosphere, granted i was young when i first played this game but the narrotor saying: HARVESTER UNDER ATTACK, WARNING WORM SIGN or OUR BASE IS UNDER ATTACK with his deep voice scared/stressed me everytime :scared:

Ye, I remember that html :lol: I found that game on a freeware CD at my high school and one day I hid in the art dept and played it on the computer - got so into it I looked at the clock and realised it was 9pm and that the janitor had locked the school with me inside it. Went downstairs to the front doors, tried to open them and set off the alarms. Had to get out a fire escape and run away before the janitor could see me when he was coming up the drive - he lived in a house at the bottom of the school drive. Great game though.

The first Tomb Raider for me! Shit, used to play that in my bedroom in the dark! When those wolves used to appear out of no where and leap on you man, used to scare the shit outta me! You always knew when something bad was about to happen by the way the music gradually appeared and got louder and louder. Heart pounding stuff!!! :o

The Call of Cthulhu < THIS
also STALKER and Amnesia atmosphere !!
Penumbra Overture is even worse than Amnesia .....
games like doom , fear have a few jumpscares but are not really scary

Ah yes i read Cyborg post and i forgot about Slender the 8 pages.. I'll never touch that game again

Last edited:
Really? Dune games/narrators scary? If anything they're annoying as hell.

dune II - Harvester under attack!
dune 2k - Harvester under attack!
Emperor bfd - Harvester under attack!

Both II and 2k had some annoying long range siege tanks that the enemies always seem to have in the first few waves when you're getting your base up expecially on hard.
And bfd has these annoying cunts
03.jpg

Worst moment ever was on 2k when i was playing atreides in 8th or 9th mission on hard, was too busy building towers and harvesters, 20mins in to make the base solid enough, nothing's upgraded

Missile launch detected

mfw by some random fluke, the stupid missile 1-shots my construction yard and I don't have anything upgraded to get the construction unit.
Didn't save
fuck me sideways

Vampire Bloodlines the oceanside hotel level.

Not realy that ultrascary but plays brilliantly with sound and music (cold chill by hardly hearable sounds etc)

Some scenes in Dead Island are chilling and somewhat disturbing.. And L4D2 when playing with woss! that boy can mess things up!!

The first Tomb Raider for me! Shit, used to play that in my bedroom in the dark! When those wolves used to appear out of no where and leap on you man, used to scare the shit outta me! You always knew when something bad was about to happen by the way the music gradually appeared and got louder and louder. Heart pounding stuff!!! :o

QFT! Or those yeti's and so lurking around in later levels!

Vampire Bloodlines the oceanside hotel level.

Not realy that ultrascary but plays brilliantly with sound and music (cold chill by hardly hearable sounds etc)

True great level ! I don't think anyone mentioned Metro 2033 with a quite similar atmosphere as STALKER games

The 7th guest, although was more puzzle orientated it had a scary theme.
Phantasmagoria, more based on a horror aspect with blood and gore to shock you.

Havent played them both for a long time, Im probably showing my age by saying I played them when they cam out some 20 years ago so maybe my memory of them is slightly wrong, could always dig out the CDs and play them, Phantasmagoria was something stupid like 7 CDs!

I think I remember 7th Guest, was that the one where you were wandering about a deserted manor in the daytime? There was like a music room, a living room, a garden, etc... Didn't play it, only saw my friend failing to get anywhere with it. Very point and click but ye it had a good atmosphere.

Thanks again for all these suggestions, more than I expected :thumb: