Router adapter BSOD?...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
I keep getting blue screen crashes, always when using the internet. EVery single time in Event Viewer I get :

TP-LINK TL-WN620G 11G Wireless Adapter : Could not allocate the resources necessary for operation.

But I'm bugrt if I know how to fix it. Nothing I find on the net works, but it looks like the adapter doesn't like being asked to do too much at once, though I fail to see why one download and two browser pages is a heavy workload :( Anyone got any ideas about this? It's driving me mad, happening more and more often (once a day at least).

How much RAM do you have? A vague technet articles suggests freeing up some mem.. but I would guess you'd have to be very low to not have any left for a wireless adapter

@ Mym - 2 gigs RAM, can't imagine this wouldn't be enough, especially since it BSOD's me about 2 mins after a reboot the other day, with no appls running except background AVS, firewall, Startup Organizer :\

@ sneez - Prolly a good idea, I use one of the ones on the front of the tower that some models come with, but the thing about moving it to the back is the signal gets significantly lower, hitting my already laughable d/l speed :\ It really needs to be on the front one. That being said, there are two ports in the front but alternating between them seems to matter not a bit.

I know I usually offer help but this time its not me, thats Martz :P

Yeah, he surprised me there as well

Oh using a front USB port really shouldn't be the better choice, since they're usually connected to the motherboard with wires, while the rear USB ports are attached directly to the motherboard.
There may be a difference if your motherboard has multiple USB controllers, but i think most don't these days.

Last edited:
how about just test the back ones first? see if u get the error, if u dont then buy a 3m usb extender and run it to the back usb sockets, the you got a nice long cable for wireless coverage.

infact thats what i do for my wireless coverage, the cable is long enough to go neatly outside my bedroom and drop down some stairs without being noticed!

Are you using vista ? Ive seen problems with TP Link default drivers for some weird reason on Vista. solved it as they use a Ralink chipset and, if u take the adaptor apart, u should be able to see the chipset number ie RT2750 or something written on the actual chip, then u can download a Ralink driver from the Ralink website for it

If its XP I dunno :D

@ DB - Not sure, ASUS something I think.

@ XB - Prolly a good idea, I didn't realise the front sockets differ in reliability from the back ones, though I never have any problems with my externals plugged into the back ones.

@ CK - Nah it's XP, I'm not going near Vista :tired: