Predictions/Chat: World Cup 2010

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

NZ were really good today, unless it was with attacking. If they play that Chris Wood guy they might go further in this tourny. Can't see Italy lasting much longer though, they have no game changers this time around.

well useless, italy will come through.

they nearly always suck, but somehow they always come far ;)

Italy had luck vs Australia, needed Extra-Time vs Germany and needed a penalty shootout in the final. No, italy didnt convince 4 years ago. They also werent capable of playing attractive football.
No hard feeling tho. History is history.

Also 1982 italy showed how they win things in general. suckage in group phase (3 draws) and then they won the cup.

Italy had luck vs Australia, needed Extra-Time vs Germany and needed a penalty shootout in the final. No, italy didnt convince 4 years ago. They also werent capable of playing attractive football.
No hard feeling tho. History is history.

Also 1982 italy showed how they win things in general. suckage in group phase (3 draws) and then they won the cup.
Four years ago yes, we had luck againts Australia, but beat Germany, who were better than us, at home wasnt so easy imo.

Ok, in 1982 we sucked in group phase, u right. But we also won against Brasil, Argentina, and Germany in Final. Not shit teams imo.

Four years ago yes, we had luck againts Australia, but beat Germany, who were better than us, at home wasnt so easy imo.
aye and that's why the italian team aint liked much outside italy.
They win against better playing teams with luck and boring defence football.

No offense, Germany has a similiar reputation. i.e. 1974 the Netherlands should have won the world cup, coz they played better (argh, saying this sentence is like kicked myself in the nuts :hangover: ).

Atleast germany tries to change the way they play in the last years. Italy not. :(

If NZ somehow beat Paraguay............OMG
that would be awesome!

aye and that's why the italian team aint liked much outside italy..
Italy aint liked much outside not just for football, especially by germans.
They win against better playing teams with luck and boring defence football.
It's called Counter-Attack :P

Best is if we draw vs Slovakia and NZ draw vs Paraguay with the same score, we have the same goal difference with NZ..in this case, i think FIFA will choose random who go at knockout stage..:D

Last edited:
NZ were really good today, unless it was with attacking. If they play that Chris Wood guy they might go further in this tourny. Can't see Italy lasting much longer though, they have no game changers this time around.

Well spotted Anthony :)

Picked up this english translation of an Italian newspaper. :rofl: @ "giant forwards"

" The Azzurri were in danger again against the Kiwis, who immediately took the lead on an offside goal by Smeltz. Iaquinta tied the match with a penalty, called for a hold to De Rossi's shirt inside the box. Afterwards, Italy's offense only produced fruitless chances. Lippi's substitutions did not turn the match around.

NELSPRUIT (South Africa), 20 June 2010 - Italy were held to a 1-1 draw again. But this time there is no doubt: the glass is half empty after today's tie against New Zealand. Iaquinta responded to Smeltz's goal by scoring on a penalty, but it wasn't enough to beat the All Whites, a team of excellent athletes, but mediocre footballers, nor to secure a spot in the last 16. Paraguay, looking down at Italy, now has a two-point lead in group F, and beating Slovakia, whose chances are still fully alive, is a must to qualify for the knockout stage. Even a victory in the next match provides no guarantee for the top spot in the group, which would mean not having to play Holland. But these are predictions that Italy cannot afford to make, as they are now forced to concentrate on the next match on June 24th against Hamsik and company in Johannesburg. Italy will have to play better than they did today. They will need to be more precise than they were in today's match, in which they tried hard, but did not finish, and attacked, but created few chances. The Azzurri's weak point has proven to be their attack, and more inspiration will be needed from the strikers compared to the first 180 minutes of South Africa 2010. This time De Rossi, after scoring against Paraguay, kept Italy out of an even worse situation by drawing a penalty, but a more substantial performance is needed from the team's attackers.

A SHOCKING START — The match began with a physical formation for Italy against the muscular New Zealand side. Gilardino and Iaquinta were Lippi's response to the sizeable attacking trio of the All Whites. Di Natale was left on the bench, along with the team's creative spark. New Zealand took the lead in the seventh minute. Elliott took the free kick, the ball was grazed by Reid (if the touch was clearer, offsides would have been called), Cannavaro - whose milestone 17th World Cup appearance, which tied him with Dino Zoff, was spoiled today - made a poor attempt to control the ball, which bounced off of his thigh and went to Smeltz, who easily slid in the 1-0 goal from a metre in front of Marchetti. It seemed like a nightmare, but it wasn't: Italy was losing. Despite an immediate reaction, Italy was not able to turn things right: New Zealand played long balls to their giant forwards, the Italians suffered physically, while their opponents helped their cause often using their elbows. It was Italy's mistake to respond with similar tactics, with long passes to Gilardino, who was repeatedly beaten to the ball by Herbert's centre-backs, who aren't exactly lightening fast.

ITALY'S REACTION — But it couldn't end that way, and indeed, as time went on, the Azzurri found the tactical responses they needed, at least partially. Lippi gave directions, Montolivo acted as the playmaker, distributing passes to the rest of the team. A beautiful right-footed shot rattled the post, leaving the midfielder in dismay. Italy pushed on the right side with Zambrotta, who created dangerous shots for his team, while Chiellini wasted a chance and was elbowed again by Fallon, who had already been booked earlier. However, the referee Batres let it slide and didn't give him a second yellow. At the 28th minute, a penalty was called in favour of the world champions. Smith held De Rossi's shirt inside the box on a cross by Chiellini. The defender held the Italy midfielder's shirt only slightly, but in the referee's opinion, it was a penalty. Iaquinta wrongfooted Paston from the spot making the score 1-1. The Azzurri celebrated the goal to the sound of the vuvuzelas. Italy continued to attack, uplifted by the 1-1 score, but the sides were still level at half-time.

LIPPI'S CHANGES: EVERYONE FORWARD — A subpar Gilardino came off, and Di Natale took his place. Pepe was also taken out to make room for Camoranesi's skilled play. The team played in a 4-3-3 formation with Camoranesi on the attack, which changed the original 4-4-2 from the first half. But at the beginning of the second half, Italy were more out of sync than at the end of the first half. Finally, Lippi upped the ante with an almost desperate move: Pazzini came in for Marchisio. At this point, Iaquinta, Pazzini, Di Natale and offensive-minded midfielders Camoranesi and Montolivo were all on the pitch together.

ATTACKING AND A SCARE — Vicelich took a blistering shot that made Marchetti tremble, but finished wide. Italy attacked with everything they had, but had too difficult a time. Montolivo tried again with a long shot, but Paston made a nice save. It was New Zealand with the best scoring opportunity in the final minutes of the match: Wood's left-footed shot made it past a diving Marchetti, but finished just wide. It would have been a cruel ending, because even this 1-1 draw was a step backwards. This type of play from Italy will not do. "

If that selfish wank Paredes wasn't so selfish it would have been 2-0 Chile and I'd have gotten 3 points :throw: I actually did a slow motion NOOOOOOOOO when he missed the last chance :(

saw your prediction and i did a slow motion "HHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAAAAAAA" as i saw the close miss :lol:

If that selfish wank Paredes wasn't so selfish it would have been 2-0 Chile and I'd have gotten 3 points :throw: I actually did a slow motion NOOOOOOOOO when he missed the last chance :(

Bit like, you know... if that referee during the Brasil game had some sort of brain function and saw the Brasilian dude practically playing basketball before scoring 3-1, I'd also get 3 points :P

Yeah, that was an amazing goal to allow. Two handballs inside 3 seconds and no bugger spots it. Did you see the replay of the ref asking him right after it if he had used his hands at all, and he's got a who, me? expression on his face? Unbelievable. The cheating and diving in this WC so far has outstripped any in past years for me.

Also so many offside mistakes made. Really need camera's for some things. (Also today Xavi punching somebody in his face.)

Also so many offside mistakes made. Really need camera's for some things. (Also today Xavi punching somebody in his face.)
Villa*

And it wasn't a punch, it was more of a push 'cos of what the Honduras player did to him moments earlier.