Portable Laptop

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Joko

Be Young. Be Foolish. But Be Happy!
Dec 12, 2001
Scotland
Hello,

So I spent about 3 hours yesterday reading conflicting reviews about laptops so I was hoping that some of you on here perhaps had laptops for work that you could recommend. The most important things I'm looking for are shown below:

• Budget: £700 - £800
  • Screen: 14" or less
  • Weight: 2kg or less
  • Battery life: > 3 hrs
  • wLAN

I don't need an uber processor or graphics card or lots of RAM. This comp is just for work, spredsheets, bit of programming, bit of work processing. I'm installing Linux on it as well, if that makes a difference. What does matter is that it is portable, I'll be working on two different sites and are cycling between them so weight is key.

Anyway, any thoughts or comments are appreciated as I can't seem to find two reviews that agree on anything. :(

The Toshiba Portege ones with a solid state drive would be ideal if u knocked about £1000 off the price :D
Or More realistically the Samsung Q40 but that is still slightly above my price range also. I don't mind that it doesn't have an integrated DVD drive.

Last edited:
Hello,

So I spent about 3 hours yesterday reading conflicting reviews about laptops so I was hoping that some of you on here perhaps had laptops for work that you could recommend. The most important things I'm looking for are shown below:

• wLAN

I don't need an uber processor or graphics card or lots of RAM. This comp is just for work, spredsheets, bit of programming, bit of work processing. I'm installing Linux on it as well, if that makes a difference. What does matter is that it is portable, I'll be working on two different sites and are cycling between them so weight is key.

Anyway, any thoughts or comments are appreciated as I can't seem to find two reviews that agree on anything. :(

The Toshiba Portege ones with a solid state drive would be ideal if u knocked about £1000 off the price :D
Or More realistically the Samsung Q40 but that is still slightly above my price range also. I don't mind that it doesn't have an integrated DVD drive.

ive got a dell inspiron with some adjustments for about 550 euro (375 pound?) and it's great for work.. got a battery that holds over 6 hours, and does everything it should do properly..
I only think it's a lil bit heavier then your target. about 2,3 kg or summin

ive got
inspiron 6400 dual core t2080 (1,73 GHz 1MB L2 Cache, 533 mhz
15,4 inch tft schreen (1280 x 800
2x 1024 ddr2 ram
100 gb 7200 rmp hard drive
9 cell 85 whr li-on primary battery

it works like a charm, ive got xp instead of vista btw

You should know that most laptops have 5400 rpm harddrive and a 6 cells battary. (those things i did adjust on the original version)

I can now work for at least 5,5 hours which is great imo. with all settings on low i can even get about 7 hours strait!

Hello,

• wLAN

If you want a light laptop i could definetly recommend the HP nc series. We have about 70+ nc4200 at work and they run great. We also got the nc4400, our "workers" have demanded a laptop <1,5 kilograms which is why we chose this model. I myself have the tc4400 (tablet pc) for work which also runs just fine.

I haven´t tested the nc2400 though since it´s pretty new but i´m guessing they´r equal when it comes to battery and most other things. Take a look and try to find some reviews.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-321838-306995-1847110.html

euh zombie,

they don't mention the hd speed and it's only a 4 cell battary! i think it will not live longer then 2 hours max:o

you really want more ram if you take vista btw.

either search for more detailed info or search another one. i don't think it's really good tbh

Edit: they do mention the resolution so sorry bout that. edited that
it's small tho

Last edited:
Don't be a girly man, roll with my rig:

XPS M1710
17" screen
2.1GHz
4Gb RAM
Pimped lights in speakers, fans and back
<20 mins battery life :p: (jk)

XPS M1710
17" screen
2.1GHz
4Gb RAM

Got my XPS M1730 2 weeks ago, but it had some cooling probs and since then Dell haven´t been able to fix it. Or well, they fixed the cooling but due to heat the cpu broke down so now i still have that problem. See if i get a refund or a new system. They´r trying to force a replacement on the system but i refuse unless they come up with some addidtional for 2 weeks waiting time. "Next business day" guarantee my ass.

My dual gfx cards both had a temperature of 97 degrees celcius and the cpu cores had 75-80 :lol:

Macbook idd ffs, especially as I have just seen how easy it is to replace the RAM and Hard Disk :eek:

XPS M1710
17" screen
2.1GHz
4Gb RAM

Is a 17" screen 14" or less? Lights in speakers would work for me. Must buy one immediately.:thumb: