PC is fucked

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

uZi

Bannned
Jun 8, 2001
South Wales
My dad installed some crappy cleaner thing on his pc, mcafee quick clean or something, which appears to have deleted all of his windows fonts, leaving all items left with symbols/hiero-glyphic type letterings,pic here, ive tried doing a system restore, but ive tried going back almost a month and the problem is still there (dunno when he did it but he hasnt rebooted his pc for a looooong time) ive also tried doing a repair with the win XP cd, but since the bios is passworded (its a university pc) i cant change the boot order so it wont boot off the cd.. gay

so anyone have any ideas?

im probably gonna have to format it, but my dad really needs to use it for work and id rather not fuck around installing things for him cos i got better things to do

thanks in advance

Erm i had something like that the other day, and as i remember it was virus, have you tried some scanning?
TBH never heard about cleaner which change fonts :|

If im not mistaken those symbols are the Wingdings font. Try going into display properties and changing to another Theme, maybe it will dig up some other font somwhere.

i tried replacing all the fonts with those from my pc, but it doesnt seem to have changed, also messed around with the themes but didnt help either :/

well, have done a full system scan with norton, but i'll try disabling system restore and trying it again like that link described

If you cant boot direct from cd to start an XP repair will a floppy work? in which case just create some XP boot disks and use that to start setup

There's a way of 'formatting' the bios, so you won't have to put in your uni pass. I think it was called: "Flashing" .
But as usual, i'm not really sure, so before you start to do such a thing, ask/read more about it ;0

yeah flashing the bios does clear the password, but i got no idea what the mobo is, ill have a look inside n try it work it out, but id rather not fuck around with the bios unless i have to since its the uni's pc :/

ive tried using an xp start up disk - no fucking cd rom support so couldnt run the xp setup

then tried a 98 boot disk - cd rom support but xp setup wont run in DOS mode..

aaaarrrrrrghhhhh

i think if u got to the folder i386 or summat n then type winnt that shud also install it from dos wait for mym to confirm tho cuz it been a while.

managed to guess the password for bios, however when i run the xp disk and do repair it doesnt seem to have any thing which will help :(

Rather than go to the repair console which it sounds like your doing try do a repair install, this will reinstall all the windows files however youll have to reapply updates afterwards but you wont lose any settings or programs.
Just go about installing XP as normal and select the HD/partition with ur existing installl on it, it should then search for previous installs and give u the option to specify a different folder or repair the install. If you dont get the option to repair then cancel the install.

And for future reference, dos boot disk, i386 folder, and winnt.exe like Rook said will start setup. although they usually recommend smartdrv to be run first.
Alternatively ;310994]Boots disks from MS

ah right, i think i've sorted it now, i moved all of the fonts from the windows fonts dir to another folder, then deleted the fonts key in the registry and then made a new 1, which reset all fonts settings, then after a reboot i put the fonts back in the fonts dir, and all seems to be fine

thx for help from everyone :D