Nildram customers

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Martz

Staff member
May 26, 2001
A news story I read this afternoon:

Pipex has bought AccentUK Limited - which trades as the much-respected independent broadband ISP, Nildram - in a deal worth £12.9m. The acquisition, announced today on the stock exchange, willl add around 35,000 broadband punters to Pipex's existing customer base, taking its total number of ADSL punters to 162,000.
Is this good news for Nildram customers?

I don't personally think so. If I had wanted to be a Pipex customer, I would have signed up with them and the other 160,000 users. Also over at adslguide.org.uk Nildram have slipped in the ratings to 9th position which isn't very good news, but the figures are negligible.

So any recommendations on which ISP to use? I'd prefer something which is quality, like Nildram used to be a year or so ago. Now a days it's just as shit as the other ISPs, expecially when it comes down to support.

erm Pipex is good ....? I've had 1 meg ADSL with them in my flat for a year and absolutely no complaints, tech support is v good, but its mainly web based unfortunately. I've never experienced a drop in connection or even slight degradation in service from them.

Same with NTL in my house, perfect broadband service for nearly 5 years now.

I've been with Zen (number 2 at adslguide) for hmm about 3 years (also recently upgraded to their 1mb con). Actually, also got 2 other separate adsl accounts subsequently with them and they look after our web-hosting/domain stuff.

I've always been very impressed with them....don't think i've ever had any downtime with them on any account (apart from a few hours here and there with the cobalt raq server - even then www.zensupport.co.uk keeps you up to date with outages and details without needing to lift the phone and shout at someone :))

Most importantly ;) they give great connections to all UK servers (arguably my con has always been better to our Jolt server than even those on Nildram) and on the whole, its usually fairly stable to euro servers as well (if you ignore the paranoia of knowing that the server is on the continent and therefore bound to be shite :P)

Don't know how they compare to other isps in terms of 'extras' like amount of web space, number of ip addresses (up to 8 i think free) and so on but like I said, 3 years, multiple accounts and literally no problems whotsoever (although I suspect that they are quite expensive compared to other providers :()

:thumb: for Zen

:D

Joko said:
erm Pipex is good ....? I've had 1 meg ADSL with them in my flat for a year and absolutely no complaints, tech support is v good, but its mainly web based unfortunately. I've never experienced a drop in connection or even slight degradation in service from them.

Same with NTL in my house, perfect broadband service for nearly 5 years now.
I was surprised to see Pipex ranked so highly on adslguide to be honest. Maybe I have miscategorised them, but I figured anyone with lots of customers like 165k+ is getting into the realms of BT/AOL/Freeserve, which are notoriously n00b like in my opinion. Packages are plain and limited, and they are seriously dumbed down to protect Granny from spamming the entire provider with their spyware/virus infested computer.

gringo said:
I've been with Zen (number 2 at adslguide) for hmm about 3 years (also recently upgraded to their 1mb con). Actually, also got 2 other separate adsl accounts subsequently with them and they look after our web-hosting/domain stuff.
I was thinking of moving to somewhere more leet, I guess :D I don't mind paying the extra (my work doesn't anyway) for excellent service/support/extras. I'm currently on DSL Pro 2000 (2mbit, 20:1 , 8 static IP) with Nildram at home, and manage 6 other Nildram DSL 500 home accounts for work people. The performance is always good, even compared to Blueyonder cable for business imo.

Heard good things about Zen from people like Chipz... maybe they are worth a look in :saw:

Ive just changed to Zen 2 months ago, found their customer service really helpful when I had to deal with BT regarding ceasing my old adsl service, connection/routing seems decent enough too. I actually prefer my old isp easynet but as they hadnt reducded their prices in the 2 and a half years Id been with them I went elsewhere.
I reckon as an ISP gets bigger their service just gets worse as they tailor to mass market, I guess nildram service will be ok in the future as long as you arent after anything out of the ordinary in terms of service or performance, but then individual peoples ideas of whats good vary a lot.

Eclipse www.eclipse.net.uk

We use them now and have been installing customers with their ADSL for over a year. You can have multiple static IPs, they have a 1 month contract termination (lots of dodgier ISPs like BTOpenWorld or Demon have 12 months) their customer service is fantastic. I have no complaints at all over about 20 sites, including my own. They have recently started "Flex" Broadband now too - you sign up to a standard package (128K - 2Mb) and if you want, you can go to a webpage, and increase your bandwidth temporarily to a higher rate. You get charged pennies per hour to do this and if you have a chunky download (like Service Packs or other such legal and letigimate items) it should do well - the trick is to remember to drop back to your standard rate when you are done. You may not need it, and if you dont, you dont pay for it. I cant get it yet as its for new customers only, existing customers will be able to use it in the next few weeks.

I have no idea about Zen or any of the others asides from BTOpenWorld (utter utter shite) and Demon (evil bastards if anything goes wrong), but certainly, I have no problems with Eclipse at all.

I used Zen last year, and they are very good and i think they are or were #1 on the adslguide.org (edit #2 according to gringo :D ). They are slightly more expensive i think but i found their customer service to be excellent as well.

At the moment im on Virgin and i have no complaints so far, although i have only had it for less than a week so far so i guess i cant really say for certain yet.

Last edited:
So what are we done too, should i change to Zen or Eclipse. I would go to a 1mbit connection or possibly a 2mbit depending on the cost.

Its ironic i saw this thread after having loads of Packet loss and connection problems with websites.

Guess what - im on Nildram.

McNeill said:
Its ironic i saw this thread after having loads of Packet loss and connection problems with websites.

Guess what - im on Nildram.
Aye, I had exactly the same problems late yesterday. Which sorta put the icing on the cake...

So looking at:

Eclipse
Business Plus 2000
£83 per month
£50 activation
£free Migration

Zen
Office 2000
£82 per month
£50 activation
£Free migration

Both with free static IP addresses

I have heard Zen have an excellent newsgroup server which carrys most groups and allows more than 1 thread.... :hm:

I went from bt who were totally useless toa cheap isp virgin.net who shortly after became th worst isp in UK problem's were a joke i was lucky to get connected and when i did it was 5000+ pings 99% PL everywhere and there help was totally fucking useless none of em even knew what to do and just said it must be my fault till it all came out pubically and they admitted to it and tried to solve things, i think there much better now but still would'nt ever go near em.

I got eclipse adsl now and there a really great isp amazing tech support and performance routing and pings are great no downtime and any questions are answered by people who know what there talking about ive yet to phone em up cause from your "admin" panel on there site u can send "call's" which are answered within 24 hours with any non urgent queries or account details i upgraqded to 1 mb and it went perfectly smooth they updated me as it progressed and slowest part was waiting for BT lol, they were also nr1 on adslguide for almost a year non stop so i would say eclipse or zen.

Paa` said:
I went from bt who were totally useless toa cheap isp virgin.net who shortly after became th worst isp in UK problem's were a joke i was lucky to get connected and when i did it was 5000+ pings 99% PL everywhere and there help was totally fucking useless none of em even knew what to do and just said it must be my fault till it all came out pubically and they admitted to it and tried to solve things, i think there much better now but still would'nt ever go near em.

well atm Virgin is #3 on that adslguide site ;), furthermore it isnt cheap, its 5 quid more than pipex for a start. Anyway its been ok for me so far but i havnt had it v long, pings are just as good as i had with Zen.

Question to Paa and Jenni regarding Eclipse internet.

I also have migrated from Nildram to what i think is the Home 1000 product (the one you have paa).

This is the £38 poundish a month service with dynamic ip?

When i looked at the control panel and went to look at the progress for the transition the product which was written said Home Lite 1000.

I went back to the website, couldnt find anything on home lite 1000, only Home 1000. These prices where the same, which only led me to believe they are in fact the same service?.

Could either one of you shed some light on this so i might correct any error they might have made?

Thanks.

virgin did get better yeh but for around 6 month's they were beyond a joke.. not sure which one u got 20:1 static ip is 38 i think i got the 50:1 which is 32.50 a month i pay quaterly tho...

Eclipse have changed all their packages in the last month or two, they used to do a "lite" version of their products, this had a higher contention ratio than the other one, Flex Home 1000 has 50:1 contention, so it will be the equivalent of the 1000 lite. They maybe havent updated the names on the progress system.

You can get a static IP nps on this package, no extra charge. If you get it with dynamic and want static, you can just go to the admin panel once its set up and change it :D I did this today with a customers, I made a mistake during ordering, and all I had to do was click the "GIMME STATIC IP COZ I AM A MUPPET AND DIDNT ORDER IT" button and that was it - assigned a static IP right then and there, no pissing about :D

im going to zen .. i had been having probs with nilly for a while anyway with fucked up bills , over charging and all sorts of hassle also the dropped connections have got worse and the tech support is crap now ..

so ive been looking for a new isp for a while and this was the baseball bat that demolished the camels back.

plusnet not had any down time since i got it in november last year.

not cheap tho for 2mb , no moans about the amount i download *cough*
and only been told off once for uploading ;)