Next Cup! POLL! Please read the first message before voting!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

What gametype would you play?

• Total voters
DOM or any other non-Assault gametype would be a bad idea. Based on the evidence of the iCTF league, people seem to like the thought of trying a different gametype, but then they can't be bothered signing up and playing when the opportunity comes along. If you want a relatively high amount of participants and to keep people's interest up throughout the cup, it needs to be Assault 3v3+ in my opinion.

edit - I vote for a repeat I guess, 3v3 - 5v5 Std Assault, with maybe a group stage at the start so all teams get to play each other at least once.

Last edited:
2v2 cup would unbalace.. imagine me and pogo in the same team = instant win gg no contest

seriously, i'm not that active but i vote for std 4v4 or more, less than that would be too unbalance, aka wish win it ez.

w/e game type u decide make sure that teams are balance

DOM or any other non-Assault gametype would be a bad idea. Based on the evidence of the iCTF league, people seem to like the thought of trying a different gametype, but then they can't be bothered signing up and playing when the opportunity comes along. If you want a relatively high amount of participants and to keep people's interest up throughout the cup, it needs to be Assault 3v3+ in my opinion.

edit - I vote for a repeat I guess, 3v3 - 5v5 Std Assault, with maybe a group stage at the start so all teams get to play each other at least once.
Please, leave all arguments at home. Torp currently looks like this:
struisvogel_in_het_zand.jpg

And its people like Ego Pete, why cups don't get sorted. He doesn't get his own way so the toys come out of the pram. Grow up Pete.

Sphere, I don't see how you can compare a failed league to a 1 off cup...

Disagreeing with you comparing DOM with ICTF.
ICTF is/was never a new thing. It was the well know CTF under annoying circumstances (called Insta).
Insta is way too onesided and gets pretty boring when your opponent has lower pings (yes even with zp) or/and are sniper fairys.

DOM is completly a different story. Even lower skilled teams have chances controlling points and even lower skilled players can do summn useful by capturing a point
The gamefeeling is a Battlefield-Light. Ofc without vehicles and without the annoying capture-waiting time.

Also, like Torp alrdy pointed out, a league and a cup are two different pair of shoes. Mostly a cup gain much more interest than a league, caused by knowing that it's just a short temporary event.

:rofl: pete

Sphere, I don't see how you can compare a failed league to a 1 off cup...

It goes to the mindset of the majority of people in this community. Whether it be the iCTF league, the 2v2 league not really taking off, new maps never getting thoroughly tested/feedbacked, or ideas like html's "Survivor assault" ages ago never getting a look in, it's always the same. In my experience, most people are only interested in playing the same core Assault gameplay: StdAS and team sizes as close to 6v6 as possible (every pug someone is '4v4+ only' :hangover:), with no new maps.

My worry is this. You will get some people signing up for something like DOM, but it won't be enough. And even if you manage to get 30+ people signing up, you still will have problems getting matches arranged, and getting people who signed to show up for matches.

Of course I could be wrong, but after seeing the organisers of new things + map makers (etc) getting their time wasted again and again, I would not like to be the one spending my time trying to arrange a DOM/CTF/whatever cup. In my eyes, the UTA community is an old dog that is simply unwilling to learn new tricks.

Disagreeing with you comparing DOM with ICTF.
ICTF is/was never a new thing. It was the well know CTF under annoying circumstances (called Insta).
Insta is way too onesided and gets pretty boring when your opponent has lower pings (yes even with zp) or/and are sniper fairys.

DOM is completly a different story. Even lower skilled teams have chances controlling points and even lower skilled players can do summn useful by capturing a point
The gamefeeling is a Battlefield-Light. Ofc without vehicles and without the annoying capture-waiting time.

They are very different indeed, and I could see a DOM cup being a lot of fun if people gave it a chance. However, when so many people are apathetic to learning new assault maps, what are the chances a large amount of people will learn a completely different gametype and all the new maps that come with it?

Also, like Torp alrdy pointed out, a league and a cup are two different pair of shoes. Mostly a cup gain much more interest than a league, caused by knowing that it's just a short temporary event.

I agree with this, people would be more willing to try playing a different gametype in a cup format compared to a league one. Would it still generate enough interest though for an entire cup of non-Assault gameplay?

Disclaimer: I am not trying to start a fight or be dismissive, I am in a way just playing the devil's advocate. I think it's great that someone is trying to start another cup, and I would be first in line to sign up for it, whatever the setup :)

Last edited:
You should have read what I suggested for DOM then :P

I said I would only do a DOM cup with Clan signups. I.E Sphere you would play DOM cup for Mayhem, should that clan signup for it. If clanmembers want to play but the clan in general does not then they can be assigned to 1 or a number of "clanless" teams/squads. That way no signups are needed and whoever is in this clan/squad can play.

It is different, but when so many people are apathetic to learning new assault maps, what are the chances a large amount of people will learn a completely different game-type and all the new maps that come with it?
Normally i would say that too, but DOM aint rocket science and the maps aint complicated.
Also there are no launches to be learned, just touch the point. Not that hard, even for those lazy bastards here :D

Would it be enough interest though for a solid cup?
Noone can tell ya.
Atleast it could be worth a try having something completely different from usual gametypes.

It goes to the mindset of the majority of people in this community. Whether it be the iCTF league, the 2v2 league not really taking off, new maps never getting thoroughly tested/feedbacked, or ideas like html's "Survivor assault" ages ago never getting a look in]

I am still willing to "host" a survivor assault night on pug server if league authentification can be easily temporarely removed (would defeat the sole purpose of survivor assault) and maybe also the pings removed in f1

could be great fun!

Since i missed the last cup my vote goes to repeat cup.
Otherwise i would definatily have voted for a dom cup, maybe next time.

Please, leave all arguments at home. Torp currently looks like this:
struisvogel_in_het_zand.jpg

Torp is a Roly Poly/ Tumbler! He never gives up that easy.

Attachments

• clear head.jpg
    clear head.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 114