New sodding effing maps or wot?...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

How would you do a vote for maps like that?

The idea behind current system is that clans and their members vote for maps because they are active in the leagues (admins allow 3-4 weeks so there is no excuse for not asking your clan mates, I used to make a poll in 8 private forums and clan vote was based on that). If you were to allow individuals to vote how would you distinguish between throse active in the league and those that arent, likewise how would you vote on a map for a single gametype, I dont think it would be possible.

How would you do a vote for maps like that?

The idea behind current system is that clans and their members vote for maps because they are active in the leagues (admins allow 3-4 weeks so there is no excuse for not asking your clan mates, I used to make a poll in 8 private forums and clan vote was based on that). If you were to allow individuals to vote how would you distinguish between throse active in the league and those that arent, likewise how would you vote on a map for a single gametype, I dont think it would be possible.

Nah I think what Snee is saying is what I would do: give 3-4 weeks (like you currently do) for each clan leader to poll their own clan members about new maps, then the clan leaders throw in their own non-veto votes to come up with a final overall vote for each clan, then each clan submits their overall vote into the total vote, so a new map gets in based on how many clanvotes voted. If that makes sense. If Snee isn't saying that then I dunno wtf he's on about :crap:

all people should have a vote for these maps instead of only the clan representatives.. only a few asked other teammembers what they think of it.. but most of em just voted out their own opinion

uZi enlightened me the other day to the fact that this isn't a democracy. Hence when Dungeons came up for vote I simply voted for it and told my clan to deal. And hence we have a new map in league :P

what version os Saqqara are you on now ?

I did a version that was much better I think i sent t to timo but I dont think he did anything with it as it needed some objective triggers doing and that was it.

I love Tydium, but as someone mentioned before, the end part needs some tweaking, at least take out the ripper! html always wins with that gay thing in front of the spawn :fingers:, but you have to find a way to win if yer Canadian ofcourse.

I'm sort of feeling like making a map now (yes, RIGHT NOW) and putting my skills to the test... anyone have any immediate suggestions for fixing 1/2 things on a map?

i worked for hours and hours on snowdunes with useless. and after that SOME people play it once or twice and judge if it good or not.. not fun to work on a map imo

and everyone says something else. about half the people say snowdunes is leet, the other half things it's crap.. so nothing happens.

i worked for hours and hours on snowdunes with useless. and after that SOME people play it once or twice and judge if it good or not.. not fun to work on a map imo

and everyone says something else. about half the people say snowdunes is leet, the other half things it's crap.. so nothing happens.

why not start ur own instead ??? + u didn't choose the best map to work on :P

Pyke, I think the vast majority respect the fact you put time and effort into maps. If people don't like them, that's different. Snowdunes is very weird. If it came on a server I would play it and not moan (unlike Navarone where I'd moan my nuts of). Anyway, my main gripe with the original is the Low Grav tower. I really don't think there is any room in assault for Low Grav, especially a Climb to the top map where defenders get a vast choice of weapons to defend and camp, and lets face it, if people wanna launch theres only really one or two options which are easily defendable in public matches nevermind league matches. Making this map very hard to attack here. The ending is also very hard to attack with the 2 openings leading outside very easy to spam.

Unless some major restructuring took part on Snowdunes, it would never be league worthy IMO based on the above.

Snowdunes is a great map, everyone whining about it is ppl that cant assault.

Its possible to launch, and its possible to kill your way up the tower.

OK Mous your opinion then :)

Put it this way, over the last year I have played snowdunes a few times. Compare it to Saqqara and I find Saqqara is completed more times and often faster. People regularly say Saqqara is unattackable in an even 6v6 and I've yet to see it tied. Snowdunes is playable but just boring and has 2 very bad choke points.

OK Mous your opinion then :)

Put it this way, over the last year I have played snowdunes a few times. Compare it to Saqqara and I find Saqqara is completed more times and often faster. People regularly say Saqqara is unattackable in an even 6v6 and I've yet to see it tied. Snowdunes is playable but just boring and has 2 very bad choke points.
And yet, Asthenosphere and RiverbedAL is in the league :/

Exactly, thx Max. I don't understand people's complaints about unworthy maps when I look at the current map roster of ones that apparently are worthy. How the hell RiverAL made it in I don't know, but people still occasionally pick it (hardly ever now though). It somehow got into the map list and is hardly ever picked - so based on this why not add the likes of Snowdunes, Saqqara, Navarone, etc. ? They may hardly ever get picked but they'll be available to choose if a clan really wants them. Would that be so terrible? Or is this league just goign to keep playing the same ten maps again and again in every match?

Half the maps in the current list hardly ever get chosen but at least they're there if we want them. I don't see any reason why the maps we've mentioned in this thread can't be added to that group - if you don't like them then don't pick them in a match, and if the other clan picks them you're entitled to complain all you want during the match, just as people always do when RiverAL comes up, or Lavafort.

The new version of Asthenosphere is nice. The old ones are OK but are generally used as a spam/tie map.

RiverbedAL is old and wont be removed, just like Guardia wont. It is hardly ever picked so what's the problem?

I know you are comparing, but I don't think Snowdunes can be compared to them. It is a uniquely flawed map.

As for Navarone. I lol at this, theres no way enough people know this map. Yet there is a few who are sad enouh to sit and learn it for hours a day to get an advantage. Firstly, the layout is crap, why have an objective which is behind the other objectives? It's almost like if someone can get away from the start without being seen the map is over. This problem is enhanced by 90% of the leagues complete lack of knowledge of this map. It needs way more testing before it can be up for the league.

Saqqara, have said enough about this. Either it gets added as it currently is, or simply move that waterfall spawn and then add it. Other than that its a perfectly good map.

gladiator is my fav map of all but it would be the biggest map of league so i doubt it will be added even though its easy to understand and very fun to play, might be worth it to test in pugbot

bioNA, spammy... but INTENSE and def. balenced; 100% league worthy

the pugversion of asthenosphere.... what are we waiting for?!? its actually an enjoyable map after what 8 years?

underwatermissilesilo from sidoh, very good map even if slightly bigger then thedungeons and a tad less linear (actually reminds me of a subbase only 2x as big)

vampire has so many common points with desertstorm (a very popular map) i cba to list them ALL but heres a few....
both have 5 objectives of pretty much EXACTLY the same layout, both are 2-3 minute maps (on even teams)

let me elaborate:
bunker/barricade: impossible to defend objective, gives a new spawn to offense and gives defense time to get in position

scud/waterwheel: 2 ways in, very hard to defend, doing a self hammerjump is the best way to get it

samsite/the switch: objective that is easiest to defend, limited launching potential, 3 ways in (low high and spawn for desert, left right and spawn for vampire), attackers can go through defense spawn

underground/door lock: very fast objective that gives new spawn to offence and defence, held for 20 seconds or more less than 20% of the time...

gen/chain: 2 ways in, hard to defend objective............. limited launch capability

now.... these 2 maps are almost EXACTLY the same objective wise, i dare you to find me 2 maps that look more alike objective wise then vampire and desertstorm

as far as im concerned assault is about getting objectives, and this is what we look for in maps, of course not everyone will like one given map, but as long as a map is clearly balenced and not buggy, especially if its so close to another league map imo it should be league no questions asked

as for navarone it needs a lot more testing but even though i like it myself, it seems as complicated as siege 3 and no matter how much i picked the latter ppl still didnt learn it so the future of navarone seems gloomy to me

Last edited:

i don't remember the last time i play : astheno, rivAL, guardia, ocean in the league...

so what's the pts of adding another map like theses bad maps in the league ???

gladiator is my fav map of all but it would be the biggest map of league so i doubt it will be added even though its easy to understand and very fun to play, might be worth it to test in pugbot
Do you think it would be possible to change the length of Gladiator without fucking the map too much? PM me sometime.

bioNA, spammy... but INTENSE and def. balenced; 100% league worthy
It's really not balanced sadly. Science Cooridor and Test Range are both super defense-friendly and each can be held 5 mins or more without any coordination from the defense.

the pugversion of asthenosphere.... what are we waiting for?!? its actually an enjoyable map after what 8 years?
^^What he said.

underwatermissilesilo from sidoh, very good map even if slightly bigger then thedungeons and a tad less linear (actually reminds me of a subbase only 2x as big)
I see this map talked about a lot from french canada and I am interested in seeing it.

vampire has so many common points with desertstorm (a very popular map) i cba to list them ALL but heres a few....
both have 5 objectives of pretty much EXACTLY the same layout, both are 2-3 minute maps (on even teams)
Rook has 5 objectives. So does Mazon. They are EXACTLY LIKE DESERTSTORM. No, they're not. Desertstorm has a different layout entirely than Vampire. Vampire is completely undefendable whereas you can hold any objective on Desertstorm except bunker for about 2 minutes.

let me elaborate:
scud/waterwheel: 2 ways in, very hard to defend, doing a self hammerjump is the best way to get it
Very easy to defend on vampire actually... two guys sit their with shock. Good Game!.
Or.... you launch and have it in 3 seconds.

samsite/the switch: objective that is easiest to defend, limited launching potential, 3 ways in (low high and spawn for desert, left right and spawn for vampire), attackers can go through defense spawn
or... someone camps the switch before wheel is taken and has it in 2 seconds. Or you launch over their heads and get it. very easy to attack and unlikely to have it held for more than a minute.

underground/door lock: very fast objective that gives new spawn to offence and defence, held for 20 seconds or more less than 20% of the time...
Full of bad weapon selections.

gen/chain: 2 ways in, hard to defend objective............. limited launch capability
There's really only one way in... you just push on defense and you can hold it vs attackers... but you still have only bio/pulse which is dumb and the objective is way too close to spawn. It's overall a bad map.

now.... these 2 maps are almost EXACTLY the same objective wise, i dare you to find me 2 maps that look more alike objective wise then vampire and desertstorm
Rook and Mazon.

as for navarone it needs a lot more testing but even though i like it myself, it seems as complicated as siege 3 and no matter how much i picked the latter ppl still didnt learn it so the future of navarone seems gloomy to me

I learned Navarone in about 2 minutes. I never played it offline more than once. If people cba to learn it properly then that's their fault. It doesn't have a million objectives or a confusing layout like Seige3 does