Litestep

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I don't really understand from the website what it is and what it does..

care to explain me a lil?

I don't really understand from the website what it is and what it does..

care to explain me a lil?

It changes the way your windows looks.
But not by skinning yer windows as in, changing some colors or layering graphics over the windows stuff.
It uses its own DLLs to replace the windows ones so that its changed on a very low level.

And yes, that website sucks.. I had to google what the hell it was aswell.

I would have used that if bI hadnt found beryl for ubuntu studio ..... now once you have seen Beryl evey other windows manager Mac, Windows or Nix just seems dated, clunky and crap.

hmmm yeh i'm prolly gonna switch, windoze is getting irritating, i think last time i switched back was because theGIMP annoys the hell outta me cos im used to all my photoshop short cuts and Wine didnt work for Photoshop. But now i see this GIMPshop thing? What you use Rich, I know u like ur odd bit of image editting?

In fact wanna give me a list of all the programs you use? I can never find good ones for linux lol.

I use Photoshop on the Mac

I like you tried gimp and Gimpshop which is a good imitation but I just found myself wanting Photoshop.

If you do switch to Linux I can recommend Ubuntu with Beryl windows manager (I use Ubuntu Studio for 2 reasons 1. its has some Audio apps and 2. its god a great theme that when combined with beryl looks amazing.

I can not recommend Beryl enough It WILL change the way you use a computer, the eye candy apart (and the eye candy is so understated anyway) the functionality of it and work flow is a next step in windows managment.

You have so many abilities with it that I simply couldnt list how it has changed the way I use my computer.

simple things like grouping windows together to move around my desktop.
being able to pull the taskbar of any window down to peek under it to see a previous window as though you are thumbing through papers on a desk.
the 3d cubed desktop is far more than eye candy.
fast windows switching by resting your mouse between windows hotcorners like hotcorners should work

and thast not even scratching the surface.

I know thats sounds a bit weird but once you start using the features it just keeps on giving you things that you didnt know you needed and once you start using it you simply find every other desktop crap.

you would think I work for beryl lol but everyone I have demoed it to has installed it and said its changed the way they use thier machine.

yeh i just tried gimpshop and its just not as good / easy to use. maybe ill try getting photoshop to work on linux again, but its these kinda problems that annoy me. See ideally linux is great, just wish it supported more stuff (or more stuff supported it depending on your side of the fence). Anyway, ive got an old machine im gonna play with linux on so ill try beryl at the same time. cheers.

photoshop works alright in vmware but I have a dual boot mac so its easy to have Photoshop on the mac side.

Beryl uses openGL to the max so you will need a good graphics card but it is worth it imho.

Beryl is ok but I found it a bit buggy. Menus take 2 secs to open too. BTW Beryl is merging back with Compiz to form Compiz-Fusion.

I tried Compiz today but it crashed when I moved mouse wheel.

These things look great but they are still too buggy to rely on imo.