LeagueAS136 BETA public test

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Psychotic said:
If you scroll back a couple of pages, Kippenizjer gives you a hint: something to do with system time under linux differing from the UT time. Result is Linux based servers are not so accurate at getting the tickrate correctly.

In most cases a tickrate of 30 results in a "real tickrate" of 20, but not always. It depends on the Linux/kernel version and the hardware I believe. f.ex. 2v2 Server #4 is set to TR 30 but the "real tickrate" on it is 28-29.
Very true; as Kipz suggested, it has a lot to do with the kernel timings (this can also be said with Windows NT; the internal timings of the o/s may differ from Win2k (see below)). At least we know that the League Servers (4&5) will be ok with the final changes made to the minigun (i.e. they will reflect the true values); but this cannot be said for any non-league linux UT servers that run 136.

Regarding the kernel / o/s timings - UT is coded to round the timings it receives then sleep for a bit if it isn't the correct time to do something about it; i.e. An event happens at Time Frame 100ms... The UT server will process time until it reaches the next time frame as set by the tickrate; so if the tickrate was 45 the next Time Frame the server would process would be 122.2ms (1000/45=22.2). Now; with Linux the default kernel timing is 10ms, and NOTHING in the world will tell Linux any different, which means that the 22.2ms "deltatime" will be rounded up to 30ms - which explains Psy's table with the Real Timings compared to the Set Tickrate. (Tickrate of 30 returns deltatime of 33.33', which Linux rounds up to 40.... Divide by 2 to get Real Timing Value).

The Windows NT pattern doesn't add up at all though... Even if the timings were rounded down (which they aren't, since it returns an absolute figure, rather than a rounded one); there must be an outside factor affecting the timings.

BTW Are you sure Server3 is still WinNT?

as regards the tweaking business:

until recently I have always played UT with a Voodoo3 graphix card and I spent loads of effort getting my settings right so that my UT would run well and smooth etc. Having UT run well and not have smoke/bodies/darkness/flashing shit/moving water etc etc aint exactly what I'd call cheating and with a low performance PC I'd say it's almost a necessity in order to compete with peeps with uber fast PCs. Blocking any form of tweaking would take some of the fun out of UT and disadvantage people with lower spec PCs surely?

as for the rest of the stuff quite frankly I reckon most of it is petty and totally unnecessary. Is minigunlockdown a problem? just part of UT imo, change summat and new problems just arise.

Just conc on blocking the real cheats like bots and radars. The rest is hardly worth it and anyway since the biggest advantage is a bitchin PC that runs UT uber-smooth and a big fat internet connection, and we can't make those the same for everyone can we? Part of UT is trying to make the best of the hardware/connection you have and it would be a shame if the scope for doing this was reduced.

///oops fs Joko still logged in! - FOXY here!

I never used to Tweak UT by removing Carcasses / Smoke or any other ingame objects when I had a TNT2 - yet I was able to run it at 1280x1024 (native to '98 desktop resolution) with reasonable FPS. Of course, that was back in the day of 56k; it would probably be more noticable with ADSL/equiv... But that's not the point. You may wish to improve your playability / fps - but others will use these tweaks for gameplay advantage.

Oh and btw; it's been said enough times - but this isn't a legal-tweak discussion thread - that thread will come :soon:

Psychotic said:
Can you PLEASE drop the tweaks subject on this thread?
There will be a public discussion about it on a specific thread, that was the plan from start, months ago, when we saw the possibility of blocking tweaks.

I'm using some visual tweaks, noSmoke, insta beams have other colors, custom deathmessages etc... Wich of those tweaks will be disabled by the new leagueassault?

DROP THE TWEAK SUBJECT!

there will be another discussion about what tweak will be allowed/disallowed. This thread should be about the new features of LeagueAS and it's bugs/problems....

well i know that all those setting work on leagueassault135, so i'm wondering what antitweak functions leagueassault136 has...
Don't think that's such a stupid question cause I know that many players in the top divisions are using tweaks

leagueAS 136 is NOT IN USE during a leaguewar atm, we are talking about a beta version here and nothing more. none of you will get kicked for your tweaks during a war (yet?).
Joko/Anthrax/whoever fucking else: its been said before, and I'll say it one last time: The tweaks will be discussed seperately. Thanks

oh btw psy, when you increase the tickrate does instagib shot faster too?
oh and btw why not make highest fps to 100 like in CS?

well the 10,3 19,6 or so setting looks quite ok to me since the minigun in UT was designed like described in the weapon settup of UT ... primary: more precise... secondary: double!!! as fast and double!! as inprecise. since the spread of the fire is around double as bad it should be actualy around double as fast :D

And about overclocking ... higher tr means a better ping, for everyone so also sniper gets better and so on...it was always the way that the lowpingers had advantage with minigun. This just give a few more ppl a lower good minigun ping imho and and the guys on lowping be4 wont gain the total overpowered advantage through this ... i cant find a different feeling in ping 35 and ping 0 tbh i only recognice ping when it gets over 40 or so

Micro said:
oh btw psy, when you increase the tickrate does instagib shot faster too?
oh and btw why not make highest fps to 100 like in CS?

hmm, he is right...what comes next

all players have to use the same Mousespeed or everyone has the same (shit) ping?

Masterrr/Cratos/Nephilim: Stop being so fuckin arrogant and ordering people around, just ask it.. jesus.

When is this beta test due? I want to join.

Reactions: LeNiXiS
any other public beta tests will be similar to this one, ie announced in the same way.
Timmah: It's been asked before, people didnt stick to it, so its being tried another way. if you think thats arrogant on our side then I cant help you with it tbh

It seems this wasn't explained properly yet, so I try to do:

The ability to check tweak values and to disable tweaks is a new feature of LeaguesAS. It has the ability to stop some nasty tweaks that are like cheating. To test this feature there are some tweaks disabled on the beta server atm.

However which tweaks will be stopped and which tweaks will be allowed is not decided yet. It will be decided somewhere later, I guess in a big discussion where everyone can point out his opinion, maybe there will be a big poll about what will be allowed and what not. Only if the majority of the community agrees to disable some values, this maybe will be done. So no need to worry about your favority tweaks :D

So the tweak issue has nothing to do with this beta test. This beta test is about the new features of leagueAS to get feedback, beeing able to spot and remove bugs.

Plz try all the new features like emoticons, message colors, opaque crosshairs, mapfixes, Hudstuff, Menu,... and tell how it works for you. Thx to all that have already given useful feedback, we already have fixed several bugs :D

Last edited:
so far the smileys, the colored text and teh paque CH's seem good, however i was wondering if LA136 has some sort of other deathmsgs without the smileys, i imagine they cud become annyoing after a time so it wud be great if LA offered death msgs like Fragger >>> Minigun >>> Victim without the need for a tweak file.