International rule

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

This was never going to be an easy topic. But it's interesting to read people's opinions and perceptions.

I would like to point out that this is not a rule I made up or specifically asked for. It was put to the PUG admins and the answer was that UTA's language is english and so the PUG channel should follow suite. It's a little disconcerting to see your name mentioned in the middle of a language you don't understand, not to mention impolite. If you're going to talk about someone it is only fair that they can see what your saying and defend themselves if required?

This rule isn't there to annoy anybody but to hilight the communal nature of the PUG channel. Clearly the prime use for the channel is to arrange PUG matches, and imho UTAPUG is the best thing to happen to UTA since UTA was created. I now get to chat to, play alongside etc loads of UTA players that I would never have had the oportunity to if it wasn't for UTAPGUG.
Because of the communal nature of UTAPUG the discussions in the channel are for everyone to contribute to and so everyone should be able to understand what is being said.
If you want to speak to someone specifically and have no interest in other users' input then open a private conversation (PM), all you have to do is double click their name.

I fully appreciate that engliush is not the 1st language for most UTA members, but it is the language we all understand (to varying degrees). Please try to understand.

Thnx,
Trash.
I tried understanding but... I fail to see your need to contribute to a conversation between me and some other dutch guys discussing some local activities or whatever is necessary to speak about in dutch. All of your arguments are easy to mirror. I'm sure you meant everything you said for the best, but limiting people to speak a certain language in an IRC channel is just :yawn: to me.

Though, I'm looking forward to the usage of the banstick when there's PUG unrelated chatting in english - I'm sure that's gonna happen... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that all of the weird ibm style talk from people that do converse in proper english should be a bannable offense too right? And all of the "Naja", and "d1ng d0ng" stuff? Because that's not proper english and as such, is a bannable offense.

«23:33:14» <y-orp> a novembreeee, la citta si accende in un istanteeeeeeeee

Ban torp please.

i totally see your point trasher, but i dont think that it's valid to demand an english-must in utapug.

The utapug channel is not a dictionary, courtesy or english class, it's a vital channel in the context of the uta community.
and in this community most people aint native english speakers and there is even a damn huge amount of dutch players. they just wanna have fun and play a game.

Personally i try to speak english myself when i am in an international channel, even when i talk to germans, but i can also understand why some want to talk with their native langauge to their country mates.
Not to annoy others, it's becuase in your native langage you can discribe, talk and show easier and more fluent.

Do you really want so called channel-ghettos where dutchs, germans, polish, etc has their own channel to talk in their native langauge because in the community channels they are forced to talk english only?
Dont think that you want that.

i guess we reached a dead end here. Mostly english-natives say that it's courtesy, and many others (mainly not english-native) dont see that that dramatic or even discuss-worthy.

imho it's all about tolerance.
Just skip the lines you dont understand. when you see your nick in those "foreign" talking, just ask the guy who wrote it what it means, or translte it yourself with the internet.

And tbh, no matter what someone says int eh PUG channel, it's nonesense anyway. So why even try to understand it? :P

See it as a advantage. In all the years i am here, i alrdy learnt some dutch, polish and swedish. Okay mostly flames and swearwords, but that#s enough to have "fun" on vacation ;)

Netherlands and Germany together, is always better!
Never!!!!! 1988 still hurts ;((((((
;)

"bart must be clever"
i second that.

Last edited:
Ah, right smant, I'll stop chit-chatting in Dutch if every other person stops talking about ANYTHING but PUG-related subjects. That will happen. The PUG-channel is filled with non PUG-related chats all day, in English. Fix that first, then I might consider your point as a valid one. :banghead:

The reason why #utapug has chit chat conversations in English is because people speak Dutch randomly.

The reason why #utapug has chit chat conversations in English is because people speak Dutch randomly.
bill%20murray%20you%20suck.jpg

i totally see your point trasher, but i dont think that it's valid to demand an english-must in utapug.

The utapug channel is not a dictionary, courtesy or english class, it's a vital channel in the context of the uta community.
and in this community most people aint native english speakers and there is even a damn huge amount of dutch players. they just wanna have fun and play a game.

Personally i try to speak english myself when i am in an international channel, even when i talk to germans, but i can also understand why some want to talk with their native langauge to their country mates.
Not to annoy others, it's becuase in your native langage you can discribe, talk and show easier and more fluent.

Do you really want so called channel-ghettos where dutchs, germans, polish, etc has their own channel to talk in their native langauge because in the community channels they are forced to talk english only?
Dont think that you want that.

i guess we reached a dead end here. Mostly english-natives say that it's courtesy, and many others (mainly not english-native) dont see that that dramatic or even discuss-worthy.

imho it's all about tolerance.
Just skip the lines you dont understand. when you see your nick in those "foreign" talking, just ask the guy who wrote it what it means, or translte it yourself with the internet.

And tbh, no matter what someone says int eh PUG channel, it's nonesense anyway. So why even try to understand it? :P

See it as a advantage. In all the years i am here, i alrdy learnt some dutch, polish and swedish. Okay mostly flames and swearwords, but that#s enough to have "fun" on vacation ;)

Never!!!!! 1988 still hurts ;((((((
;)

"bart must be clever"
i second that.
:clap: :thumb:

Dont think that you want that.i second that.

agreed. it would only make the chatter in #utapug more dead.. and no chat mostly results in less pugs
i can understand tough that its rude to use a name of some1 there could be a rule to not do so.. but for the other nonsense...

I think everyone's missing the point. You can't expect pug admins to moderate the channel if people are abusing each other in another language.

They will continue to get a 'he said' 'she said' scenario, and the only recourse is to ban everyone.

If you don't mind all being banned, then please carry on.

To be honest, v0lt talked Dutch to me on MSN and the language of UTA is english so I would like him permbanned.

I think everyone's missing the point. You can't expect pug admins to moderate the channel if people are abusing each other in another language.

They will continue to get a 'he said' 'she said' scenario, and the only recourse is to ban everyone.

If you don't mind all being banned, then please carry on.

Why does everyone keep going on about flaming ppl in another language.

THATS NOT WHAT ITS ABOUT.

OFC its rude to talk about someone in their face in a language they can't understand, and no doubt, no one will complain if you ban someone for that reason, thats common sense.

Its about dutch person a saying they went to get a kroket uit de muur to dutch person b yesterday, which doesn't concern anyone and like some ppl stated is easier to say in dutch then in english. No reason to do it in English cuz ppl wont understand anyway :P

I seriously dont see the fuss

Omdz, why is there still all this fuss about it.. it's simple, if theres conversations going on in english, then dont start speaking dutch (or swahili or any other language for that matter) - if theres no one saying anything for a while, then sure speak dutch - no one would mind about that.

And a lot of you missed timo's point: he's saying what people talk about in the pug channel IS monitored, so if you break any of the channel rules, it can be understood. Speaking in another language is a way to circumvent these rules. That is why theyre saying, generally please speak english. However theyre not being complete assholes about it and banning any words other than english, just asking that you show some common courtesy and sense when you choose to speak a different language than the one generally used in the channel.

And people saying "utapug is the community channel".. no it isn't, the community channel is/used to be #utassault but since the pug started, very few people actually join that channel.. so it would be perfectly reasonable to take your chatter to say #utassault and keep pugs for pug-related stuff. Tbh that would probably benefit people.. since a lot of the time, once in captain mode the start of the pug is nearly always delayed by 5-10 mins of people who are signed blabbing away instead of typing !captain (I know I do it). This would also probably reduce the number of resets due to people being kicked for "spamming" or using block capitals.

However what I've just suggested makes far too much sense for any of you monkeys (see thread in chit chat :P) to actually do it :p:

Omdz, why is there still all this fuss about it.. it's simple, if theres conversations going on in english, then dont start speaking dutch (or swahili or any other language for that matter) - if theres no one saying anything for a while, then sure speak dutch - no one would mind about that.
:rofl:

You can suck my balls as well while you're at it. If some guys are conversating in English their, apparantly, they're all interested in understanding eachtoher (or everyone's English). _Every_ human being has the skills to differentiate between relevant lines of text within the context of ones conversation and irrelevant lines of text. It's very easy to ignore the irrelevant ones. You should try that one day.

And a lot of you missed timo's point: he's saying what people talk about in the pug channel IS monitored, so if you break any of the channel rules, it can be understood. Speaking in another language is a way to circumvent these rules. That is why theyre saying, generally please speak english. However theyre not being complete assholes about it and banning any words other than english, just asking that you show some common courtesy and sense when you choose to speak a different language than the one generally used in the channel.
More bullshit. :yawn: There is no such thing as breaking a rule with just a little chitchat in Dutch, German or Spanish for all I care. The only times monitoring is needed is when a PUG is starting, played or finished and during rush hour in the PUG channel. Even then, speaking a different language shouldn't be a problem for ANYONE to tell wether someone is trolling or just chitchatting. Most people learned to tell the difference between that when they were a little kid, you see?

And people saying "utapug is the community channel".. no it isn't, the community channel is/used to be #utassault but since the pug started, very few people actually join that channel.. so it would be perfectly reasonable to take your chatter to say #utassault and keep pugs for pug-related stuff. Tbh that would probably benefit people.. since a lot of the time, once in captain mode the start of the pug is nearly always delayed by 5-10 mins of people who are signed blabbing away instead of typing !captain (I know I do it). This would also probably reduce the number of resets due to people being kicked for "spamming" or using block capitals.
I agree. No more irrelevant chat, no matter what language, in the #utapug channel please. Bansticks are ready!

The people making a problem of multiple languages in one channel are either over-concerned, arrogant and control-freaks or really, like, really stuck to their PC's. Some downplay would be in place. Stop caring.

Last edited:
Pete, I personally don't care if people speak dutch (or any language) or not, I'm just trying to see it from the admin's point of view. In fact I like people speaking dutch, as i'm slowly picking up bits of the language, albeit the cruder parts :p:

Your comments are a little pointless though pete as you've barely been on the channel for weeks, so you don't actually know if people are being banned for speaking other languages or not.. you're just trolling tbh :P

I suggested in the PUG channel that we move the chitchat from the PUG channel to another channel where people can rattle away in any language they want with minimal admin intervention. This would then free up the PUG channel for sorting PUGs and (as Uzi pointed out) stop PUGs from getting broken by people getting kicked for spamming/CAPS abuse. The auto kick rules could be removed.

#utacoffeeshop #utalounge

Pete, I personally don't care if people speak dutch (or any language) or not, I'm just trying to see it from the admin's point of view. In fact I like people speaking dutch, as i'm slowly picking up bits of the language, albeit the cruder parts :p:

Your comments are a little pointless though pete as you've barely been on the channel for weeks, so you don't actually know if people are being banned for speaking other languages or not.. you're just trolling tbh :P
Oh, yes, maybe I am. :teehee:

Anyway, people getting kicked by spam, PUGs fucked up by people abusing capitals and / or the autokick-peer-pwnage, has nothing to do with the language one speaks.

#utacoffeeshop sounds fair.

:D

[19:19] <LocoMouse> TRASH IS GONE
[19:20] <LocoMouse> ga je moeder neuken kut ezel pogo

^^^the hell? taht is totally uncalled for, learn some respect.