Idea for UT99 As ladder in 2005

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Biebel

-)EaS*
Jan 27, 2003
Hello fellow assaulters, :)

considering the growing lack of interest of ut, especially in lower divisions, and the long "waiting" time to achieve the division u want to be in, maybe it would be appropiate to give new clans that want to compete seriously in top divisions a chance to register their clan starting in an higher division. They could achieve that by challenging a clan in that division and beating it, resulting in an achieved spot at the bottom of that division. Ofcourse boundaries have to be set to prevent chaos;
for example: - clans have only one chance to make use of the privilege
- the challenge has to be approved by a league admin based on some criteria;this to avoid that people will start a new clan each month to try to get higher up
- highest division that can be challenged is div2.

How would this rule approve the league in 2005?
1. Good players that want to start a clan would be made easier to compete where they belong too
2. As a result the higher division's would be more enjoyable to play in.
3. The boring 8-0 matches in lower divisions and forfeitting will be avoided.
4. Number 3 results in enjoyable lower division confrontations
5. Maybe the rise of old skool clans will give a nice effect again to UT99 as league to survive yet another year.

Tell me what u think about it, maybe a poll should be started? Serious feed back plz, also from admins.......

Signing off, Biebel

Reactions: Snuggs
^A§^ said:
Not a bad idea really ... at least seems fair! n1 bb

So if ur clan was 3rd from bottom in Div 2

and they said you go down this month cause ---- leapfroged into div 2

and its has to be 9 teams per division for the nonagon to work

you'dd say yeah ok nps ?

would yer fuck youdd be bitching and moaning like youdd just been gangbanged by a bunch of hairy arsed truckers :shout: :stompa:

crap idea imho you wanna play u start at the bottom same as every other fuker and work your way up

:P

ya what deadboy said

Lets say u go to div2 directly meaning div2 has 10clans, meaning 1 more clan goes to div3, then theyre 10, same for div4, complete chaos.

Only way to improve the ability of climbing the ladder faster would be a change in points system. Tho it worked nice over the years and just sucks at the end of the year coz top and bottom are so far from each other. Imo it should stay as it is. If u wanna change it tho, Id suggest something like 0.1*a modifier which compares points of winner and loser. If the higher ranked clan wins its loser clan pts.*0.1*pts of lower ranked clan/pts. of higher ranked clan, if the lower ranked clan wins it is loser clan pts.*0.1*higher ranked/lower ranked. That way clans could not get such big gaps between each other and could get close again faster.

so as it is now:

team a) 1000
team b) 500

a wins: 1050 // 450
b wins: 900 // 550

it would be with this system:

a wins: 1025 // 475
b wins: 800 // 700

However, was just a very quick thought, dunno how far points can spread, otherwise if a clan with 200pts beats a clan with 2000, the 2000clan had 0 haha. So it would need some tweaking, like setting a limit from 5% - 20% of loser clans points.

how would you handle the problem that there is a rule that 1 clan gets promoted and 1 clan relegated each month and still allways 9 Clans are in 1 division?
so if a clan uses that extra rule and beats a clan in division 2 suddenly there would be 10 clans...
any idea how to work on that?

sorry but i dont like the idea, first the problem of number of clans in div, second that clans try this and if they lose, clan leave and they do other new and try again. I think that next month only 4 divs, new clans begin div4 if they are goods as u say, they will get div2 easy, maybe a good idea that not only get playoff 2 in div, maybe better 1 go directly to high div and 2 and 3 playoff vs 7 and 8 of high div.

It is just an idea, it must be tweaked still for particular situations.

I look at it this way: if someone nowadays creates a clan, he might have 3 different reasons:

1. just play for fun, so he cba starting at bottom of ladder
2. just play for fun and maybe if he gets better he thinks about getting up higher, but in that situation he just goes up the normal way(imo a clan only can use the privilege to jump to higher div in beginning of clan)
3. compete in top divisions, considering the quality in clan.

There might be other reasons, but i could think of these 3 nowadays.

Well, how many clans will have #3 as a reason do u think? Maybe at most 1 clan a month, that means IF he wins his challenge he might be lets say able to go to div2.

Ok, problem u guys say, there will be 10 clans there now. What will happen?
A simple solution imo is not having the playing playoff with div3, so as result 2 clans regulate and the new clan enters.

Another solution is, having the playoff counting as the challenge..........this will automatically be played before beginning of new month cycle. Only clan which "looses" in this case is the second clan in div3. But history tells us this clan would have lost anyways, unless it is a good clan, which in the end could have used this special rule, so this would not be likely.....

keep up the comments and critics m8s....

Well lets just see things from these way ... IDC ( kick ) well most of us came from div 2 div 1 or div 3 clans ... we are sick of shedule matchs with kids that well must be @ uk server must be @ theyr time @ the day they want fuck it all ...

So we decided just to play the games that bas told was needed for this mont ( 3 ) ...

We joined in end of october and we played 2 matchs UKS we lost ( nice match no probs with shdule at all ) and CF we won we joined botton div 4 ... November comes and they creat div 5 so well we got stucked there ... now 3 or 4 clans leave again and we get back to a 4 div league ... now imagin what we feel in IDC ( kick ) atm ...

Like November was a total waste of time in all way ... first to shedule a match @ div 5 ( and next month @ div 5 it will be the same for sure ) its a pain in the ass ...

Then well we could have been getting more points this month to try to get div 3 in december ... now all we get is points cause well lets be serious 177 poins from DB are not that easy to get till 464 from NAC unless ur name is mr lucky bastard and u get the 4 top clans in shedule and win those 4 matchs ...

So well u call that fair league ? i dont!

Well about BB idea .. well its not perfect but i guess we can take it as a start ... and try to make rules in order to result ...

Like for exemple a new clan joins league if they want to try to atack div 2 direct they will ahve to play vs bottom place of DIV 2 .

We all know that byt the end of year no one cares about league cause of points diference between bottom and top places @ div's

so well may be creat a Winter and Summer champs ...
like From January till june its summer league champs then reset @ june and then from July to December Winter league champs ...

By end of year u get points of Summer and Winter and u choose the year champs

( for exemple )

[^TRAFY^] said:
I think that next month only 4 divs, new clans begin div4 if they are goods as u say, they will get div2 easy, maybe a good idea that not only get playoff 2 in div, maybe better 1 go directly to high div and 2 and 3 playoff vs 7 and 8 of high div.

Well trafy playoff idea is good i guess ...

About the they will start from div 4 next month and they get easy div 2 if they are good well this time yes cause of reset but in a normal ( non december month ) is not that easy ... cause well after some months the gat between top and bottom places are huge and huge and huge

would save alot of time for 'retired clans', maybe this should only apply for older clans, but they can only jump to the div they were in before leaving

Felerian said:
how would you handle the problem that there is a rule that 1 clan gets promoted and 1 clan relegated each month and still allways 9 Clans are in 1 division?
so if a clan uses that extra rule and beats a clan in division 2 suddenly there would be 10 clans...
any idea how to work on that?
Easy, when the challenged clan loses, it gets relegated automatically to the Holding Zone :lol:

Reactions: Snuggs
nice idea but a bit late since co is in div 2 now :D
imo it is quite a nice idea but it can't really work in the league atm, too much would have to change to make it possible, how about an option where the clan that wants to rise faster in the league can play more than 4 matches a month, say for example a retired clan promotes to div 5, at the start of the month people tell an admin we would like to play more matches this month, now if 2 or more clans want to play more matches they are able to score more points , of course the point system is different for every match you play extra

4 matches 10% of losing clan in case of victory
5th match 7,5% of losing clan in case of victory
6 t/m 8 matches 5% of losing clan in case of victory

That way clans that seek fast promotion can play eachother for the topspots

Another way is a points multiplier, say a clan wins 10 matches in a row, they get a points reward for the results , example a bonus of 5% of their pointtotal, clearly if you win 10 matches in 1 division you deserve to be a bit higher.
Some restrictions you have to win like 10 matches in a row in the same division to get the bonus , and it cant be applied to div 1, since there is no higher division (just using numbers as examples, dont get stuck on the numbers if you dont agree).

argghhhhh braintank needs fuel so i am going for coffee now

I read interesting ideas from different people above.

I brought this idea up cause i see how long clans take to get in higher divisions. <)C0(> took an v optimal route, but it took them almost half a year to get where they belong, div1. I think about other clans like Uks, IDC(kick), how long will it take before they reach the place where they belong, considering they alrdy played almost same amount of wars? An interesting clan to play atm imo in hz is Uaf, how long will it take before these m8s will be in div1, where i believe they belong.

Hopefully not too long which can cause for such clans more lack of interest in playing ut99 std as. These clans are just examples, maybe more clans to come in future, more old skool clans,who knows. Like some pointed out alrdy, as such a clan it seems like wasting time playing wars in lower division, because of people not showing up, or forfeiting.

I just want to make a point, and i thought of something a bit swiftly, there is always room for improvement, but maybe it is a start for a more enjoyable league...

keep up the comments m8s

Last edited:
I dont think it can work ...

You have a clan form up, they challenge the highest clan they can - they win, they join D2. Now you have 10 clans in D2, the nonogon cant work, you cant get all 10 clans 4 games in this month.

Someone said something about having 2 relegations rather than a playoff in this instance - what about a clan formed to do this just to get another clan relegated? You know it would happen.

Also, one bad match for the D2 clan against the HZ clan doesnt mean the HZ clan deserves to be there. You schedule up a war, then death, famine, flood or football means that the D2 clan cant field a full team. This doesnt meant that the HZ team deserves to be in D2. It means the D2 team need to recruit!

What if there are 2, or even 3 clans join the league one month, all going to D2. You now have 12 clans, and there can be no way it could be considered fair for 4 established clans to be relegated to D3, and then 4 clans in D3 relegated to D4 just to make way for these new clans.

Also - the nonagon does not allow room for challenges other than the 4 set for that month. This wouldnt just allow a couple of clans that dont want to work up the league like everyone else get where they feel they should be faster, it would be a complete re-write of the whole system.

New clans can already jump ahead to the top of the bottom division and get into the next division the following month. The only thing taking so much time is this is the end of the year, so the points are so far spread between top and bottom of the divisions. If you could take that out of the picture, there wouldnt really be a big problem.

Besides! Starting from teh bottom and working up allows you to play many more clans than just arriving in a high division and being stuck with the same clans month after month! Its gotta be more fun ;)