IAS and Proas

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Torp

Hai
Dec 23, 2004
Milan, Italy
Right boys and girls, it's time for the yearly rant on how to improve our waning leagues that are iAS and ProAS.

OK, here is a suggestion, let me know what you think (admins):

Completely discard the current Proas and Ias leagues. Advertise a newly improved league, coming soon.

Start a "Sign-up" thread of people who would be interested in participating in the newly revamped league(s).

Rules could be - 3v3 with a 6 player cap to each clan, or 4v4 with 8 player cap limit. Can be first to 4 just like PUG. Keeps matches fast and not ending at 11pm!

Dependant on how many sign-ups, which would similar to a cup sign-up, assign captains, lets say for instance, 8. Each captain takes it in turn, pug style, to pick a player for their clan. Until it reaches 8. Any left overs can be pooled into a mixed clan.

This would not only spread the talent over the clans, but would also mean you still play in the teams you want.

This could be performed in separate months. For example:
January - iAS - 2 matches
February - ProAS - 2 matches
March - iAS - 2 matches
April - ProAS - 2 matches

You get the picture. Anyway, let me know if you like this idea because I think both leagues are gone before summer if something isn't done.

before anyone comments on "inactive players, not faair to get rid". There are currently no clans in iAS that are older than 1-2 years, so this is not an issue. Something drastic needs to occur to iAS and the time to be strict is here!

Last edited:
I share the idea to improve the leagues that are not that active atm. Which way is able to go and which way it will be in the end, the more ideas we have, the better the final result can be.

Serious discussion requested. Please stick to the topic!

yea i think itd be a god idea
like have pug teams but play a few matches with them.. then next XXoug new teams :D

spread out the talent see if torp + pogo or uzi +pogo would be better.. doo it

No new leagues, 2v2AS is kind of low activity as it is... just stop making forced games. Hopefully some clans can get some wars together...

This is just another idea to keep the ias/proas running for 4/5 months tops.
I think we should start focusing on StdAS and let ProAS/iAS open for those who still want some fun in it.

There might be people like me who wouldn't mind playing ProAS but don't really want to play Insta. If the two are merged into one league, that could be a problem for people who prefer one over the other.

OK, I will address some of the opposing comments.

@Smant - If you remove forced games that removes all aspects of competitive play. 1 team will play 4 matches in a month because they simply have the time and then 1 clan will get 1 per month if they're luck. Soon that will result in "what's the point, may as well pug"

@Wish - It isn't really a merger, that was just an example of what could be done to spread the matches out instead of making clans play up to 8 wars per month.

@Shinon - This idea isn't to prolong the current leagues. It is to close them down and start again with a fresh idea. New sign-ups, new clans, new teams, picked in a pug style manner. You can say it's still fun for people but is it? Rarely is there a match in pro and ias anymore, they're either 8-0's or forfeits and an occasional 8-4.

The ideas are just that, ideas, examples. The main idea is to start up the iAS and maybe ProAS as well, from fresh. Making it possibly 3v3 but this can be voted. Meteor mentioned do it on a monthly basis. So you could get a sign-up thread each month, those interested in iAS for say April, can be picked for April matches. PUG style!

Thanks for keeping it on topic all :)

I actually really like the idea of 3v3 ProAS thinking about it, I enjoyed the 3v3 cup and adding the ProAS rules would make it interesting, although I wouldnt even limit clans to 6 players, 4 would be an optimal number, is it that hard to find one date in the month when all 3 players are together? 6 players per clan is going for the safe side, but it could result in the same problem we have now, too many people in clans who don't actually play

OK, I will address some of the opposing comments.

Meteor mentioned do it on a monthly basis. So you could get a sign-up thread each month, those interested in iAS for say April, can be picked for April matches. PUG style!

Thanks for keeping it on topic all :)

Yes in each month ias and pro as together and not separate. Also a signup for a longer time than 1 month only is possible.

Complete merge, Pro Assault but with Insta Only.

Sounds awesome, where do I sign?

:lol: :rofl: Torp meant one month pro as and the following month ias, after that again pro as followed by an ias month.

I meant that it should be ias all the time. And also pro as all the time. I dont see a need for a mix of both of the two gametypes and also no need for a one month only pro as and only ias entertainment.

Keep these suggestions coming please.

iAS is under heavy review at the moment, and decisions will be made at the beginning of March whether to keep it open.

If there is enough interest in a changed league however, it may remain open until whatever changes are implemented.

As with Meteor, I would personally discourage an alternating month idea; while it is possible with very minor adjustments to the current setup and booking system, my opinion is that it wouldn't lead itself into a sustainable league.

Removing the match limits is an idea; effectively we will be turning the leagues into CB style open-challenge ladders. From past experience with their zp/iCTF ladders, there is very little activity, and as mentioned by Torp, this will result in one or two clans dominating the top spots, and will soon lose interest.

The captain/player pool 'pug' style teaming sounds interesting, though I don't have the first clue how to suitably control this on an operational level - would need all volunteer captains to be in the same place at the same time to pick the teams I guess? Needs a thorough thinking through.

We were burned after months of development went into zpiCTF, and many weeks of development went into the waning 2v2: so realistically I will only spend some serious time on something with a decent amount of interest.

Indeed, the only way it will be worth it, is if there is enough generated interest. Hopefully a sign-up thread would indicate the numbers. Only way I can think of the captains role and picking would be to add into the sign-up an option "Do you wish to volunteer to be a captain?". The possibly assign a date where the captains can all be on IRC, give availability and do it there, with 1 or 2 admins overlooking and adjudicating.

It's nice to see some interest in the idea though :D Maybe the next step is a poll to see who would actually participate.