Helpppppp :::((((*:rff

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Just to reiterate CK, are you still at the same position as before? Screen initalises, BIOS is shown, IDE stuff detected.. and then? You see the IRQ stuff now you say.. does it say anything about about ESCD?

The way I troubleshoot hardware problems is to strip the fucker down so that it is the bare minimums. Get rid of the HD, floppy drive, soundcards, serial ports.. everything... and see if you can at least get the "Boot disk failiure" message. Then start putting things back in 1 at a time, switch off each time.

Try and get 1 of the following working on its own:

Floppy
CDROM
HD

Thats a start :]

Martz:

I tried taking everything out apart from one stick of ram and video card, but still it hangs on this screen (well not hanging, it still has this flashing cursor thing... but it does not progress to a command prompt, or load windows when the hard drive is in.)

:\

Crusader

To clear cmos power off the pc, next to the coin battery are 2 solder points labeled CLRTC, short these with a screwdriver then power on your PC.

Check that the motherboard is in jumperfree mode for support of the CPU, ie all jumpers set to off.

On that motherboard there are 4 sets of IDE ports, one lot of promise and one lot of std Via, use the std via ones (next to floppy connector I think)
See if any of that helps :)

Well a BIG thanks to MyM for his help, but looks like cpu/motherboard dont work together :( Putting me back on lousy SDGFLHGDLHRTLHLRTMHLRTLHRMHLDTFLHLFMLFMLHTMFLMLFMLHRTFMLTMRLMRLMHLRMHLRMGMELRMTGLSMFAWEQOEWQKELMQWLMRFLQWTFGMWELRMGTLERMGHLRTGHLRTMLHYDMRMTGLEMRTGLEMRTLEMRLTMLEMRTMGELMLTGMERLMTELMTELRMTGELMGTLSMFLSMGLFMSLGMLRMEGLMERLMGHLERMLGMDRSDGFLHGDLHRTLHLRTMHLRTLHRMHLDTFLHLFMLFMLHTMFLMLFMLHRTFMLTMRLMRLMHLRMHLRMGMELRMTGLSMFAWEQOEWQKELMQWLMRFLQWTFGMWELRMGTLERMGHLRTGHLRTMLHYDMRMTGLEMRTGLEMRTLEMRLTMLEMRTMGELMLTGMERLMTELMTELRMTGELMGTLSMFLSMGLFMSLGMLRMEGLMERLMGHLERMLGMDRSDGFLHGDLHRTLHLRTMHLRTLHRMHLDTFLHLFMLFMLHTMFLMLFMLHRTFMLTMRLMRLMHLRMHLRMGMELRMTGLSMFAWEQOEWQKELMQWLMRFLQWTFGMWELRMGTLERMGHLRTGHLRTMLHYDMRMTGLEMRTGLEMRTLEMRLTMLEMRTMGELMLTGMERLMTELMTELRMTGELMGTLSMFLSMGLFMSLGMLRMEGLMERLMGHLERMLGMDR
Pentium 2 400mhz ffs :( :( :( :( :( :(

Originally posted by RCPolle
Well I checked ASUS homepage... according to the tech sheet it supports up to 1Ghz CPUS. However according to their processor support sheet later revisions of the board support as high as duron 1.3 Ghz. It might be worth checking your MBs version as well as the bios version although I doubt this is the cause.

I havent read every post here but my son has the same board and it tops out @ 1Ghz, needs a bios U/g to go above.:|

errr. re above, you would have to put a sub 1Gig processor back in to flash your bios.

You shouldn't need to have a floppy connected to make it boot, I haven't used one for years now.

And if you need a bios update, make a bootdisk that autoloads and flashes the bios automatically, either on cd or floppy.

Originally posted by Tnega
errr. re above, you would have to put a sub 1Gig processor back in to flash your bios.

ahh yeh :\
wish my friends liked computers lol :o then i could nick one from them or something :\

Originally posted by Foo
You shouldn't need to have a floppy connected to make it boot, I haven't used one for years now.

And if you need a bios update, make a bootdisk that autoloads and flashes the bios automatically, either on cd or floppy.

yeh but the problem is i cannot get anything to read.... not even a command prompt/dos/anything :\

So will have to find someone with an old cpu to flash me bios

There was another thread about a bios problem
http://forums.utassault.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18701

In that case it was solved by using the bootblock solution. However if it never checks floppy(when cables are correctly attahced) then this isnt going to work. Anyway it might only work if bios is corrupted which is most likely not the case here.

This link is a FAQ with bios problems on the A7V. There is also a paragraph about not being able to boot.

Another thing. Initially I got the impression you only upgraded the cpu, however if your previous cpu was a pentium you must have upgraded at least motherboard too. How many of the components have been tested together and which of them are new or used in other machines?

The prob he has is:
The PC boots, passes mem check, detects IDE devices then goes to the screen with device IRQ listing, the next page is usually the windows bootup page but it never gets that far, it just stops on a black screen. Cmos has been reset. Bootup sequence changed.
He has tried different Floppy drives, checked cable was correct but it will not boot from floppy (boot order checked in BIOS)
He has a rev 1.02 board and a bios ( V 1004 cant remember) that doesnt support the morgan core chips. Board was tried in jumper and jumperfree mode, no difference. CPU speed is detected correctly either way.
Some sites say the board supports 1G+ duron with workarounds while asus site says it doesnt, either way he needs to get his hands on a sub 1G to flash and test the board :D

C'mon ffs, someone in London must have a sub 1Ghz chip to lend for an afternoon?

Get yer fingers oot and help an Assault m8. :shout:

LOL... yeh they did fs :\
they also managed to lose a parcel to Norway, and return 2 parcels I have sent straight back, every week, and after every time i re-send them :mad: :mad: :shout: :mad: :mad: :shout:

Another thing. Initially I got the impression you only upgraded the cpu, however if your previous cpu was a pentium you must have upgraded at least motherboard too. How many of the components have been tested together and which of them are new or used in other machines?

Soz, I should have mentioned the specs to start with... :doh:
Well it's a completely seperate PC from this one (this one being a p2 400, 196 ram, GeForce2) and the new one currently using 64 RAM (tried 3 different DIMMs tho, both pc100 and pc133) i have tried 4 GFX cards on it (ATI Rage II, voodoo 3 2000, the GF2 and some weird unlabelled one) and have basically tried all different ide cables etc etc etc...... :\

cant you downclock the duron yourself with the bios never used an ASUS board but i thought they had such settings ??

The compatability problem of the CPU and motherboard isnt due to the speed of the processor, its down to the core that the CPU uses, CK needs a non Morgan core Duron (all <900MHz are non Morgan) to update the BIOS to support morgan cpus, make sense? :D