^Help needed for custom one-off file association...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Shaitan

May 30, 2001
Oslo, Norway
OK, this is what I need to do:

I'm distributing a CD with a bunch of PDF files, which has embedded functions requiring Acrobat Reader 4.0 or later to display without errors.

What seemed like an easy solution would be to include Acrobat Reader 4.0 preinstalled on the CD (as outlined in this KB article on Adobe's web site). The problem is to have the PDF's launch with the supplied Acrobat Reader rather than a possible install on the users PC (regardless of which version the user might have).

My first thought was to put a shortcut on the CD root with target "Drive:\Path\ACRORD32.EXE Drive:\Path\index.pdf" using the PDF file as a startup parameter for the Acrobat Reader. This kind of works, but causes Acrobat Reader to crash :/

Another problem that might also arise is that shortcuts doesn't seem to support relative paths, which I guess will be a PITA as it's distributed on a CD....

For the record, this is what the CD layout should look like:

Code:
root
|__Shortcut ("\Adobe\acroread32.exe \pdf\index.pdf" or something similar)
|__PDF
|   |__index.pdf
|   |__etc.
|__Adobe
    |__aroread32.exe
    |__etc.

Guess I should also add that the target audience for the documentation contained on the CD are next to computer illiterates, so I need it to be completely automatic...

Suggestions appreciated, customer wants it by tomorrow morning Doh!

hmmnn u tried having the reader installed on the root? might be more messy but....mmh dunno :/

or instead of shortcuts u could try and have the index.pdf start with the installed reader in an auto-run inf (dunno if it'd work or not).....then after they could open any other pdfs that u wanted to have shortcutted originallly via the file - open menu...which should now default to ur /pdf/ folder if the index ran....?

hmmm.......:(
am i talking bollocks? :D methinks so...

Last edited:
Good ideas, but
1. There should be only one (visible) file on the CD root to make it foolproof
2. I guess quite a few ppl has auto-run disabled...

Btw, just tried to drop index.pdf on the acroread32.exe in my yet-to-be-burned CD-layout, and it crashed :/.

Aaaargh :(.