help computer very slow :(

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zombie

Dead Man Walking
Jun 9, 2001
Andover(UK)
I dont no what is wrong with my computer, for some reason it is very slow.
Its slow when i do any thing on here, (ie. boot up any program, and even ut is a little slow:( )
i have installed the new via drivers, that does nothing(that i can c)
feel like just kicking this stupid computer:eek:
i ran a bench test and my score was:-
6130 3Dmaks
13397 CPU 3Dmarks
dont no if that is good? some people told me i should get a score in the 2000's

system.
AMD Athlon 1000 MHz,
512sdram,
32mb Geforce 2MX G/C,
20g hard drive
ext modem(56k).

Thanks for any help :)
:wave:

Don't know with specs like that is should be lightening fast.

Maybe its worthwhile checking what you have started. For instance, all my networking stuff runs very slowly when I have Norton antivirus active. Try stopping everything and see.

Dunno. With specs like that it should be lightening fast.

Could try stopping everything started. For instance, all my networking stuff runs very slow when I have Norton Antivirus active. So try stopping everything.

1)
Check for viruses too. Had a few machines at work with the sircam and Qaz virus causing slowness to the systems.
I use AVG from www.grisoft.com cause its free and keeps up to date.

Qaz -> check the size of notepad.exe should be about 40/50k
sircam -> check autoexec.bat for references to sirc or scam

2)
Also check the startup folder, i'm assuming if youve got office you've taken fast find out of startup. Take out anything you don't want.

run regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
and from there \Run & \RunServices
Careful deleting unwanted ones cause there are some windows bits in there.

3)
DMA drivers installed for your HD?

4)
Has it always been slow? Something you've done must have caused the slowness, an upgrade of somesort or???

After a few months without a format or defrag you will slow down a lot, it's agood idea to format say every 2 months or so if can make back-ups easily, that way u get rid of all virusses and have anice clean install of everything so it all runs faster.

1) A format doesn't guarantee virus removale.

2) Keep your system tuned (including defrag) every so often is far better than reformatting every 2 months - primarily for the hassle involved in reinstalling things and the things that can go wrong such as forgetting drivers etc.. Unless ur drive is really really badly fragmented u wont get much of a noticable performance increase from a defrag

"it took a very loog time"
I assume you use win98se and FAT32 as file system
yup it's fucking slow there
on win2k with NTFS filesysten I defragged my 40 Gig HD within 4 hours :D

Status
Not open for further replies.