[Health] Asthma n Allergies

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Lex_Mortis

Not here
Sep 2, 2002
The Netherlands
lo all,

No clue why, but my asthma n allergies (pollen, pets, dust, etc) lately are horrible..

I wake up with irritated red watery eyes and sneezing non-stop, it's really a sneeze attack or something. :|
Also I didnt know my nose could produce endless snot.

I do take meds, mostly anti-hestamine and I got inhalers. But for some reason they dont work anymore.. They've been helping me for years, but not even with more dosage, nothing.

So first of all, I'm curious if anyone else who is allergic or so has noticed anything different?
I wanna know if it's me or possibly the air.. maybe more pollen now compared to previous years, no idea.

I saw an infomercial on TV selling some filterdevice that uses water to filter the air. Imo that sounds good and logical, since after rain the air always smells so fresh and clean. Plus you dont have to buy expensive filters but simply use tapwater.

I've found 2 of those water filters:
Fresh Air Globe (2nd on the list)
Revitalisor Rainbow (sadly cant find English, but the lil factsheet helps)

Does anyone here have experience with such filters? Do they actually help?
My mom said if I would get something like that I might get nice air around here, but going outside would be hell then since I wouldnt have a bit of "defense" against that.. what do you think?

Also which filter thing to get?
The globe is nice and small and prolly enough for my room. (where I mostly stay anyway)
The revitalisor is huge but is enough for the entire apartment, but they say you always need to add some of their drops... which means extra costs I'm not looking forward to.

Any other tips or ideas are welcome of course!

I've got hay fever and dusta allergies too, and I find it always helps to keep the area around me clean (not that I can ever be arsed to clean it). Change your sheets, fluff your pillow outside, etc. Dust all surfaces, don't leave stuff lying around, and open a window to keep the air circulating. All this stuff helps me, even in a house with 2 dogs and a cat (me allergic to dog and cat hair: pld).

As for the filters, I've never tried 'em, but I think I'll look now that you've brought it up. Ime nasal sprays are the best anti-histamines to take, and also make sure you wash your skin, don't wear sweaty clothes, etc. Every bit helps - just try to be around as little dust and clogged air as possible. Buy an air fan for your home too, and keep it running in summer - helps enormously.

After googling a bit I've found some interesting stuff:

Honey for hay fever sufferer?
Yes - the more local to you the better - if you can find someone in your village who produces it, or failing that at least buy some produced in the county. The idea is that the bees are working the plants local to you - the very ones which are causing your allergy and if you start taking a teaspoonful of honey each day - early enough in the year - you can build up a resistance. Honey has other good properties too.

I think there is a local beekeeper which is 30mins by car away from here... that's prolly close enough, I'll deffo look into this.

Allergies:
ever thought of taking other meds? :rolleyes:
eventually your body kills the medicine... because hay fever is still a reaction of the body. This doesn't count for nose spray/eye drops though, but they aren't there to prevent you from getting snot and red eyes.
I got hay fever myself too... As Useless said, keep your house clean, especially the one where your the most through the day. I got pills myself, which work fine. I got cheap 'Kruidvat' hay fever pills.. Cheap isn't always worse ;)

Asthma:
i don't got allergies myself, but a mate of me has asthama, quiet serious conditions tbh. But he goes on vacation to swiss every year, summer most of the times (sometimes in winter too). he goes high up in the mountains, according to his doctor the air is cleaner and less filthy/polly then here (we also live in area with lots of meadows and forests)... He also got his vacation payed by insurance for some part, don't know how much, but it's better then nothing :)

I got anti-hestamine pills which are free (covered by insurance) because of my allergies, this is the first year they somehow stopped being effective... :\

Wierd huh??/ you'd think that with all this rain it'd know the pollen out of the air. I used to have hay-fever in New Zealand, but after I moved here I've had no more trouble.

Wierd huh??/ you'd think that with all this rain it'd know the pollen out of the air.
Exactly, I totally dont get it. When I need to go out for whatever reason nowadays I keep hopinh it's gonna rain so the air is all clean and fresh. And when it does rain, the air is indeed clean, but no clue why very quickly afterwards I go back to sneezing.

I had it so bad last month but its non-existent this month due to obvious raining.

It is so weird. One yar I can have it, moderately bad and then it goes. Then I wont have it for a year or 2 then it hits me with a vengeance and I have it so bad. I was admitted to hospital at highschool as my eyes swelled up and had white spots/lumps all over my forehead/eyes/cheeks. I couldnt even see. The following year I didnt suffer hayfever and didnt for 3 years more.

I found putting vaseline under your eyes, beneath your nose and on your lips helps to stop the pollen getting inside. It sticks to the vaseline instead. Although this just helps, it doesnt catch all pollen. Anti-histamine dont last as long as theyre supposed to. Sometimes the feeling comes back after 2 hours. :|

I think there is a local beekeeper which is 30mins by car away from here... that's prolly close enough, I'll deffo look into this.

I found an even closer beekeeper.. prolly 5~10mins by bike. :)
Deffo gonna pay him a visit and get some honey... hopefully it works/helps.
Will post possible results here if there are any..

drowned in honey :)

More like pwned by bees... but I made it back alive! :D

I've got bee-pollen and I got honey... both are suppose to be overall healthy and useful, especially for hayfever.
The bee-pollen is suppose to work even better versus hayfever than honey.
Although the beekeeper said I should've started earlier taking it, in spring or so.

I never had an allergic reaction - actually, i was never ill or had ANYTHING.. untill this year.
Im allergic to something, i guess its hay fever, since that is what some of my brothers got. It's so fucking irritating, i got a full nose 24/7, i never knew it could produce so much slime (well, its more like water, :rofl:). I sneez alot, differs every day - aint got much problems with me eyes tho.

Ill go to the doctor for allergic tests next month, see what it is. CBA now. :lol:

I never had an allergic reaction - actually, i was never ill or had ANYTHING.. untill this year.
Im allergic to something, i guess its hay fever, since that is what some of my brothers got. It's so fucking irritating, i got a full nose 24/7, i never knew it could produce so much slime (well, its more like water, :rofl:). I sneez alot, differs every day - aint got much problems with me eyes tho.

Ill go to the doctor for allergic tests next month, see what it is. CBA now. :lol:

A possible "quick fix" could be over the counter anti-histamine pills.
Deffo go see a doc for some allergy tests, but for now you could try those pills.
My allergy test was simple.. they just took some blood and tested with it, quick and easy.

A possible "quick fix" could be over the counter anti-histamine pills.
Deffo go see a doc for some allergy tests, but for now you could try those pills.
My allergy test was simple.. they just took some blood and tested with it, quick and easy.
I know i should get the anti-histamine tablets. But then again, im really lazy and im using this nasal spray atm which helps quite good. After i'v done the allergy tests i'll use whatever medicine that is needed for physiological behavior of my body. There are some allergies that have the same effect as hay fever but which don't rely on the immune response based on histamine and mast cells. Therefor i won't just assume its hay fever, since im not a 100% sure.

Hey Lex, remember your post about suffering lack of energy? I said honey for that aswell :D It seems Honey is the answer to al of our problems therefore lets send a swarm of bees over to GW Bush and lets create energy through the function of bees wings! Sounds like a plan batman.

Hey Lex, remember your post about suffering lack of energy? I said honey for that aswell :D It seems Honey is the answer to al of our problems

Beekeeper said that aswell... I dont really like honey that much though, way too sweet.
And the bee-pollen is even worse, like you stuff hay in your mouth. :|