First impressions

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I seem to have a reasonably new leak, as a lot of the things people complain about in this thread aint there.. it has sound effects on headshots etc, and the skins for bots are there (just shit)

wint if you got the version i think you got then it is OLD voices and stuff have next to totaly changed as for a lot of the phyics and weapon balance somehow i dont think your be seeing that die from a flak bounce with later builds. If you remember at the lan i said it was an old build and lots of things had been changed ie the charge rate for the sniper is a lot faster and you can fire a waeker blast if you dont let fully charge now, also a lot more karma is in the newer builds making it a whole lot more realistic, iam still gonna hold out to the demo for a last flame as the game just anit finished yet and theres (slight) hope still

UT has almost realistic player movement, as people run, dodge, jump etc

:hm:

Yeah I remember last week when I was paying Airsoft. I was running along the roof of a building and did a forward flip off it, was pretty cool. What was even cooler was I turned in mid flip and using my M4 one handed I shot this dude square in the forehead.

I suppose it is a shame that UT2k3 won't be reallistic as UT or my RL scenario above. :rolleyes:

FFS the movement isn't supposed to be real. Mark Rein has constantly been saying this for weeks in reply to comments like yours.

*it* means *they* are *very* important words *innit* *!*

The games gonna suck, ive always thought, why fuck about with making levels looks good if it plays like shite. Personally i would strip walls of all textures in UT and let em have single colours like i do in Q3 - only problem with the command that does this in UT, it doesnt allow you to keep the detail on the player models, so you cant see em :\

Basically graphics coolness factor will wear off, its the gameplay that keeps a game going, but with all this anal attention to "detail" in UT2k3 levels is gonna detract from the gameplay IMO - all these stupid pipes n shit hanging down... fs (not that ive actually played it of course)

bah!

Originally posted by Uzi-Suicide
*it* means *they* are *very* important words *innit* *!*

The games gonna suck, ive always thought, why fuck about with making levels looks good if it plays like shite. Personally i would strip walls of all textures in UT and let em have single colours like i do in Q3 - only problem with the command that does this in UT, it doesnt allow you to keep the detail on the player models, so you cant see em :\

Basically graphics coolness factor will wear off, its the gameplay that keeps a game going, but with all this anal attention to "detail" in UT2k3 levels is gonna detract from the gameplay IMO - all these stupid pipes n shit hanging down... fs (not that ive actually played it of course)

bah!

o my word, I agree with most of the stuff you say... dearie me :/

Originally posted by Apocalypse
Yeah I remember last week when I was paying Airsoft. I was running along the roof of a building and did a forward flip off it, was pretty cool. What was even cooler was I turned in mid flip and using my M4 one handed I shot this dude square in the forehead.

I suppose it is a shame that UT2k3 won't be reallistic as UT or my RL scenario above. :rolleyes:

FFS the movement isn't supposed to be real. Mark Rein has constantly been saying this for weeks in reply to comments like yours.

Then "Mark Rein", whoever the fook he is, is a total wank. To clarify, what I am saying is: when UT characters move, they do so in a consistent way: their arms/legs/head/appendages move in the way a person would be expected to. look at the player models if you catch them mid-jump, or bouncing back from a blast: THEY LOOK LIKE PEOPLE.

Why do most people hate the fsking Nali Cow?? or those moronic "Dabou Ji" things? because they don't move or look like people, and thats what UT is about. fight to the death, in the ring combat between people.

Not a bloody circus freak show with an eyeball on legs running around, Q3 style.

You don't sit there saying "I was playing this Nali Cow the other day on Jolt...." you play against the person on the other side of the link, not the skin/model. If that model looks/moves wrong and in an unconvincing way (technical details like joints range of movement being wrong, or "sliding" across the terrain, running by taking very short steps really fast rather than just running, etc etc etc) it diminishes the realism, ruins the suspension of disbelief, and ruins the gameplay.

and Uzi? :thumb:

Gameplay is everything, and UT has it by the bucketload.
I play UT with a lot of detail turned off, and love the game, even after years. UT2K3 has some very fancy graphics. I think they are trying to distract you from just how bad the game is.

All the amazing new polygon pushing gfx cards have made PC games in general go the route of all show and no go recently and thats the way it will prolly continue.
However i think were judging this game on the basis of a few videos and an unofficial leak too harshly. First off...its not a carbon copy of UT..if you cant get over the fact its not then enjoy playing UT for another 3 years cos your prolly never gonna be happy with any other unreal game OR fps that follows.

In UT my player can take multiple rockets in the mush with a sheild belt and live, i can jump my own body height into the air, i can fall 50 feet without a scratch, i can jump and defy the laws of physics and change direction mid air...and the same goes with ut2k3. Neither game is realistic in a real world physics sense.

lets face it, UT bot play is cock...especially in AS, the bots run about in a fkin congo line picking up every damn thing they can, in frigate by the time they get out of the docks you could have finished the map twice over. Online is where its at and tho a few of you might have played ut2k3 online using that *cough* file to let you, you certainly havent played anything like a 6v6 ctf, dom, br or whatever so no one is really in a position to say whether its a good or shit game online or not.

I get the real impression that Epic/DE have "de-skilled" the PC game by making it more console-like, to placate/ego-stroke the console masses.
why is it that so many ppl are either pc gamers who bash console gamers or console gamers who bash pc gamers :eyeroll:
pc's and consoles are both great. pc's have great games like UT, the various versions of warcraft, morrowind (love this game), etc
consoles also have great games like zelda, final fantasy, metal gear solid, etc

ahh Wintermute you've summed it up so very well :D I would have to say I agree with you entirely. I gave up trying to get my point across cos I seemed to just meed the "It's only a beta" arguement. And as true as that may be, most of the game would need to be changed between the leaked versions and the final release that it would in effect be a totally different game. I can see past the bugs and minor quibbles to what the game is all about, and what the game is all about doesn't impress me at all.

There is really only 1 great thing about this game, the engine, although there are some other aspects i do like.

Something that hit the nail on the head for me was Opti's LAN, we played it for about 30 minutes in the whole weekend, yet we played UT (AS, CTF, DOM) for hours, and the whole time was spent moaning about the problems with the game, the biggest gripe at the time being no one could figure out which team everyone was on and couldn't identify players from the background very well. After the 30 mins no one was interested and we didn't play it again, I think that kinda sums it up :\

and modders are going to have to re-write almost the entire fooking thing to end up with something halfway decent.

Thats pretty much what we decided to do :D

im still open to it atm

the lan games were mush tbh as phil said noone could make out who was on whos side and with the robot skins the colours were so bright that they looked like the red team players were blue even with teh lights on them

but im still of an open opinion that it might be GREAT
:)
even if its now Karma and Goo pysics are gonna fucking OWN for mods :)

seams i was right about the team coulors getting done this is from an ign preveiw of the latest build....

The latest build also included a lot of new effects and visual touches, like green digital ghosts floating off the bodies of your fallen foes. There's plenty of blood and gore that accompanies this death animation as well, but our German Freunde and other sensitive places abroad will only see the green ghost rise out of a corpse a few seconds after falling in stylish rag-doll regalia. I also noticed that the team-specific red and blue uniforms are in this latest build, something I hadn't seen yet before. It may not seem like a big deal, but it makes a big difference when you're playing a CTF or Assault game.

just wish he had mentioned assault cos it was in the game not cos he played it in UT :(