Extended HUD

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

SkullSquasher

Aug 6, 2001
Scotty Land
I use 800x600 and all the writing is far too big, is there anyway of reducing the font size?, also is it possible to reduce the font size of the scoreboard and names?

toggleextendedhud removes it i dont wanna do that, I have bound + and - to other stuff. did the + and - reduce or increase hud size? again which i want to remain the same, I just wasnt that text reduced :P

I had that problem when I switched to 800x600 from 1024x768. All the letters are so damn BIG. Long names overwrite frags on the scoreboard...

No solution for it afaik. Your own monitor resolution limites the detail it can draw the writing at... there is a method to reduce the drawscale but makes the writing totally unreadable, like dots and commas instead of letters.

Hmmm u have a really good pc m8 is it ur monitor stopping u playing in higher res ?

nah i can play at all other res plus 1600x1200 but it just seems smoother at 800x600,maybe my imagination,what i am gettin now is stuttering at all resolutions,as soon as a lot of explosions it goes all stuttery and i can be facing a diff direction or even worse in a close battle it does it :(,I find re-installing ut cures it but only lasts so long.

err that sounds very odd u have more than enough gfx power and cpu to run ut in 1024*768 :/

dl new hairs then or make one. Even I run 1024*768 and i got a PII 850Mhz with some crap gfx card, no stuttering at all, not even on siege

see wot pisses me off ... u got have high detailed actors on for the hud to be transparent :mad:

Don't you have like some mother huge 22" monitor? And you're running at 800x600???????!????!!!!! r j00 m@d?@??????? :D

You should have no troubles at all running at 1280x1024 with the specs you have. If you're getting problems with stuttering, you might want to try:

1. Defrag hard disk.
2. If its more than 50% full, start deleting/archiving stuff to CD. The more full a hard disk is, the slower it is.
3. On a LAN? Using a router? Using DHCP? If so, don't be dumb and specify an IP address etc manually. Using DHCP will often lead to odd pauses and stutters in internet usage.
4. Someone mentioned their game seems more responsive if VSYNC is off. (but remember that the bug in UT means you must actually set VSYNC=TRUE). Dunno if this works for everyone, but I certainly found my movement/aiming smoother and more responsive with vsync off. I also get virtually no problems with "tearing" of graphics either.
5. Got "smooth mouse movement" or "use directinput" enabled? If so, disable them. They don't improve fuck all.
6. Got lots of skins/models/mods etc installed? If so, uninstall the ones you don't really use.
7. Using Windows XP? Automatic patching/updates enabled? Disable them already then.
8. Using Windows XP? Turn all the useless eye candy/animations etc off. It adds nothing and takes away resources better used for gaming! :)
9. Using Windows XP? There's prolly tons of useless services running which you can safely disable. Check any of the numerous websites on this topic for more info...
10. Using Windows XP? Using an Nvidia card? Then either get the patch which fixes the idiocy of XP defaulting to 60hz refresh rates for games, or get updated drivers which cure the problem.
11. Using Windows XP? Applied service pack 1? Even microsoft admits this causes system performance to nosedive in many cirumstances. Quick google search soon yields suggestions for fixes! :D
12. And if all else fails, STOP SPAMMING SO MUCH WITH THE FLAK CANNON FS! :)

Far as I'm concerned, anyone who plays at 800x600, especially when their PC/Monitor can support far better, is a deviant weirdo! Hell, anyone who plays at 800x600 is a deviant weirdo anyway!

Last edited:
Thuringwethil said:
Far as I'm concerned, anyone who plays at 800x600, especially when their PC/Monitor can support far better, is a deviant weirdo! Hell, anyone who plays at 800x600 is a deviant weirdo anyway!

Maybe you don't know it's a lot easier to aim/hit @ 800x600 :D

I have a 21inch monitor and i agree about the aiming,I do actually seem to hit better on that res,dunno how I thought it was just me :P. Thur thanks for all that info there mucho aprreciated, andd about that dchp well yeah i am on that and using a router and i get an annoying pause everytime someone enters the server but I am afraid i know fak all about ip addys and how to manually set :P, Will have a chat wiv ya on icq thur as i would like to give that a shot.

Joko said:
put ur mouse sens up then u fucking wierdos ROFL

Exactly. What a fucking waste of nice monitors if you only use 800x600.

I use 1280x1024 as standard, and my usual mouse sensitivity is 2.5. Now, given that I can count the number of UTA players who can actually convincingly beat me at insta on the fingers of one hand, (excluding the thumb), and given that all you pro/Std ph3gs bitch that insta is all about ping and "hamster on speed" reactions, I wouldn't say a high rez and low mouse sens has affected my accuracy :D

Higher rez also lets you see more of the game world at once, and gives you a wider field of view without needing to fart about distorting your view with FOV to achieve the same effect...