Electricity Question

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

sneez

Jun 11, 2001
I got in my room alot of (expensive) electronical equipment.
All of it is connected on a single power outlet
One of these:

Stopcontact-modified.jpg

I've read some around and it doesn't got them metal thingy's at the side meaning it is not 'earthed'?(whatever that means.).
Anyway back to the question.
Atm on that single power outlet (on the pic it shows 2 but I only use 1) are on atm:
Television, 5.1 surround set, computer, 22' monitor and a Playstation 2 (in standby). Can anything bad happen if a sudden power outage occurs?(or anything else?)

And a side-question: What is the difference between a power outlet shown on first pic and a normal one with metal connectors like this:
110865.jpg

Thanks for your help;>

Last edited:
while I have no idea about your specific question to the connectors, you should equip the power outlets with overload protection devices in any case. Makes for good security if at some point you should put too much stuff on one outlet for example.. they're pretty cheap as well. I think <10 euros, maybe even <5, not sure.

So if I plug in all my stuff on a good power connector I should be save?
with good power connector i mean one of these as below, So I plug in that device to the unearthed power outlet, or will that give problems aswell ?
44b1_1.JPG

Ah. So I can safely connect a second monitor aswell if I want? (Lightning is unlikely to strike since I live in an apartment.)

Because none of your equipment is earthed......if the case on something becomes live, due to a fault, it will take the next available route....through you!

Putting all the plugs into a "good connector" will only help if the "good connector" is earthed.

I've read some around and it doesn't got them metal thingy's at the side meaning it is not 'earthed'?(whatever that means.).
I have difficulty believing this, it leads me to conclude:
1. Electricity in your country in very rare, and so there is little point teaching health and safety.
2. You're a woman/raving fag that leaves "that kind of thing" to her/his boyfriend.

aye what thrash said basically. any1 ever had a nice belt n what from?? immersion heaters hurt :/

Last edited:
Unless you find a grounded wall outlet, or replace the ones you have with >CONNECTED< ground outlets, nothings going to make a difference.

Actually the amount of pins doesnt care at all morph.
All power outlets for 2 pinners have those 2 clips that are there for earthing like shown in the 2nd picture.

Dunno why there are still outlets without those earthing clips tho.

btw 2 pinners are the most used type in whole europe.
Only UK (they love to be different from rest europe anyway) use a different system.

Last edited:
We use 3 legged outlets, like this one:
K_plug_typical.jpg

Yeah, the outlets kinda look like smilies i guess.

Often special outlets are also used for computer equipment:
DanishComputerPlugSocket-DK-2-5a.gif

They prevent you from using normal equipment.

They are more restrictive in that they don't allow you to plug the equipment in non-earthed outlets... Well in theory anyway.

Aaah Sneez..laat het zo...als goed is heb je in je meterkast een "aardlekschakelaar" die moet je 2x per jaar testen. Voor de rest kan je ongeveer 3300 watt aan 1 groep hangen voordat je automaat eruit vliegt.

We use 3 legged outlets, like this one:
K_plug_typical.jpg

Yeah, the outlets kinda look like smilies i guess.

Often special outlets are also used for computer equipment:
DanishComputerPlugSocket-DK-2-5a.gif

They prevent you from using normal equipment.

They are more restrictive in that they don't allow you to plug the equipment in non-earthed outlets... Well in theory anyway.

Looks similar in Poland.
gn_2.jpg

Aaah Sneez..laat het zo...als goed is heb je in je meterkast een "aardlekschakelaar" die moet je 2x per jaar testen. Voor de rest kan je ongeveer 3300 watt aan 1 groep hangen voordat je automaat eruit vliegt.

Yeah in the electricity meter in the hall is a so called : Residual-current device .
So I can safely plug-in another 21" monitor on that one un-earthed power outlet if I want, I dont have to be risking my life, or my equipments life?:p

aye we may be different bart but il bet ul find our installations are alot more sfer then yours, not many sparkies over here would like to work abroad as its not so safe

When I put too much PC's on a single power outlet and I put power on all of them at once a fuse blows. (I think I had a lot of power strips linked together, this was a really bad idea :P)
Probably all PC's spiked their power supply to max for a second when they get their power. So when I had all this stuff on 1 power strip it'd take like 2000 watts from 1 power outlet, lol.

So now I use 4 power outlets. (2 boxes with 2 power outlets in each box)
On 1st there is my LCD TV (150 watts), Game rig (400 watts).
2nd has Laptop power supply (100 watts), backup game PC (300 watts), desktop PC (200 watts).
3rd has my 7.1 Receiver (around 600 watts I'd say)
4th has network switches/wireless AP/etc. cause those are the only things I want to have power on at night, the rest I just turn off completely when I go to bed. Standby = bad.

All seems fine this way now :)

Anyway, I wouldn't put more than 1000 watt on a single power outlet.
Although you won't damage anything if fuses blow... Be sure to get a fuse with a button before you start testing what your outlet can handle. :P

Btw, everything is unearthed. :x

Last edited: