Congratz London

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Didnt think London would get it as it was such a big mountain to climb, but congrats to Londond and the Olympic team :D :D :D

Well im pleased we have it I just hope the government at the time doesnt make a complete bollox up of the whole thing like the dome etc

and Jacques Chirac can kiss my arse... right on the sphink and taste some of that shite food on the exit the fucking greasy hair leather skinned cockbag.

Yeh ave it Chirac you tosser...just after he had been publicly slagging off british food to other world leaders.

Humph said:
Well there goes £12 billion of tax payer money.

which we should get most of back in tourism etc etc not to mention the improvements to the shite hole that is London atm

I'm not surprised we won it to be honest with only Paris really being a competitor. I dont think New York or Madrid had much chance with both being subject to terrorism in recent years and was probably seen as a massive liability.

Like Humph says it is going to cost. Tax payers money :( - Joko thinks we should get it back through tourism? Isn't the UK quite good with tourism as it is? I cant see the Olympics making much difference to be honest!

On a sporting level I think its great for London and the rest of the UK but financially this could break us :(

The Summer Olympics have made money or at least broken even, according to a report by PricewaterhouseCoopers. Seoul in 1988 was left with a positive balance of $556 million, Atlanta in 1996 and Sydney in 2000 each broke even.

The 1992 games in Barcelona only came out around $3 million ahead, but are held up as a good example of secondary benefits that a financially viable Olympics can bring to a city or region. The Spanish city got a massive makeover for the Games: its transportation and telecommunications systems were upgraded, it got new housing and retail centers that are still flourishing 12 years later.

Germany's 1972 Munich games were similar, according to Wolfgang Czepiczka. Although it emerged with a deficit, after the games Munich had a new subway system and much of the city had been renovated and rebuilt. "If done the right way, the Games can bring a city many long-term benefits, as they did in Munich," he said.

"It's when it's all over that the problems come," Markus Kurscheidt, a sports scientist at the Ruhr University of Bochum, told DW-WORLD. "The challenge is to use all that infrastructure effectively and learn how to deal with the massive, sudden drop-off."

Massive Olympic sports arenas often remain un- or underused. Olympic villages fall into disrepair and become headaches for the city. Most former Olympic host cities simply do not need all the facilities.

Even Sydney -- which many Australians tout as an economic success story -- has had day-after problems. It's huge Olympic Park stands mostly silent and empty, too big to be sustained by regular sporting events alone. It will require an investment of at least €15 million to turn it into the "living precinct" its designers envision.

Analysts say the evidence is just not clear on whether hosting the Olympics brings a city an important or lasting economic boost. Thanks to new funding strategies and revenue sources, the dark high-deficit days of Montreal will most likely remain in the past. But whether the boost gained by temporary job creation and intense publicity is long-lasting is more difficult to ascertain, say experts.

In May, the German city of Leipzig, population 500,000, was eliminated from the running to host the 2012 games. While the medium-sized city showed spunk it is race for gold, it could not meet the infrastructure requirements of the International Olympic Committee. German officials at the local and federal level were disappointed, since they had hoped that an Olympics in Leipzig could bring a powerful boost to the ailing eastern German economy.

But sports economist Kurscheidt warns against such an approach, saying things probably turned out best for Leipzig. He says the Olympics' powers of economic rejuvenation aren't exactly Olympian. "They might have a nice secondary effect on the economy," he said. "but they aren't a primary driver."

so done right it looks like it shouldn’t "break us"
but its does look as though if not done properly the facilities could be under used.
if looked at in a positive light it could bring about a resurgence in investment towards the developing of British talent and enthuse young would be athletes to take sports more seriously, it could start an investment into sports facilities in schools etc etc .. if looked at positively!

Last edited:
what is british food?
i only know Haggis...
anyways, congratz to the brits by winning with 4 votes :thumb:, ave it frenchies :fingers: