Cheaters contacted by Attorney for Epic Games

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Carnage`

Handing in my Cubes
Aug 19, 2001
NL
Ripped off www.clan-ion.com thought some of u would be interested in this thx Stryder for putting it up:

Today we took notice of a letter that EPIC has sent to people who host a website which offers cheats and hacks, we already knew EPIC is busy taking down cheaters with banning the CD keys of players that actually use cheats, but now they even try to get the porgrammers of cheats and the people who offer them on their websites to be sued.

Let's hope this will end all the cheating, at least EPIC is trying really hard which is great!

Read full if you want to read the letter that EPIC sent.

Dear Sirs:
We represent Epic Games, Inc. ( "Epic" ). It has come to our attention that the website hosted at the domain "***.************.***" ( the "website" ) is operating in violation of Epic's copyrights and in violation of United States law. The website distributes pieces of Epic's game code that have been reverse-engineered and modified to permit cheating or use external, non-Epic developed code that requires reverse-engineering of Epic's game code to load the non-Epic code that modifies the game as it exists and executes in memory. The modification, redistribution, and reverse-engineering of the game code and modification of its execution in memory are violations of Epic's copyrights and of federal law. Examples of modified Unreal Tournament 2004 files located in the Game Cheat Releases section of your website include, but are not limited to, Helios-Hook-Tutorial-v1.0.rar, HelioS-Hook-v2.8.rar, and [Am0K]Trigger b0t 1.1.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 ( the "Act" ) provides that "no person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a [protected] work." 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(1)(A) (2004). It is also illegal to "manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof" that is designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that controls access to a protected work or effectively protects the right of a copyright owner. 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(2)(A), (b) (2004). The Act also makes it illegal to remove, alter or provide false copyright management information of a work. 17 U.S.C. § 1202 (2004).
The activities currently undertaken by "***.**********.***" violates the statutes discussed above. The website distributes files that have been modified or created by circumventing the technological measures designed to protect the code, integrity of the game, and copyright of Epic. The distributed files are further modified in that copyright management information has been removed. The website is also assisting in the creation and distribution of files that have been developed through reverse-engineering Epic's game files. Reverse-engineering is only possible after circumventing the safeguard mechanisms installed by Epic, which is an express violation of the Act. "***.************.***" does not have authority to modify, distribute, or reverse-engineer Epic files or otherwise modify the function or execution of the game.
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act provides that Epic may seek damages ranging from $200 per offense to $25,000 per offense, 17 U.S.C. § 1203 (2004), with each distribution of a file constituting a separate offense. It also provides criminal penalties of up to $500,000 and 5 years in prison for a first offense.
Epic cannot permit its copyrights to be infringed upon or its product to be harmed through modifications from its manufactured form. Epic demands that you cease and desist from the following: 1) providing access to and/or means of distribution of any Epic game files; 2) providing access to and/or means of distribution of technology to circumvent measures designed to protect the game and Epic's copyrights; 3) providing instruction, information, or a medium for exchange of information relating to the modification of Epic game files, execution of the game, or other infringement of its copyrights; 4) engaging in any activity that removes, alters or produces false copyright management information of a work; and 5) engaging in any other activity that infringes upon Epic's copyright, promotes the breach of any End User License Agreement issued by Epic, or violates state or federal law relating to Epic's games.
We hope that you recognize the seriousness of the situation. In the event you fail to immediately take the appropriate action as outlined above, Epic has authorized us to take legal action against you, in which we will seek maximum civil and criminal penalties against you and users of your website.
Sincerely,

Christopher J. Ayers
Attorney for Epic Games, Inc.

Attorney at Law
Hunton & Williams LLP
P.O. Box 109
Raleigh, NC 27602
(919) 899-3129 (phone)
(919) 834-9908 (fax)

Thanks for posting the story, I haven't noticed it before.

Personally, I disagree with the DMCA - I think it's an evil piece of law which is being misued by many companies. In this case, stopping cheaters is a good thing, however I think Epic might struggle to successfuly sue them due to there being plenty of arguments for "fair use"; the size of the cheats is in no way a full version of the game; and reverse engineering isn't illegal in the US.

The suit itselt may be enough to scare the cheat coders... depending on how old and wealthy they are(n't) :eyeroll:

totally agree with martz.

I think they might make a point with the damage they causing to their finances cheaters = less players who will buy the game n that shit.

Valve did the same i think when they stole the beta of halflife2. and then taking longer to bring the game out.

maybe rev.eng. isnt by default forbidden by law, but im pretty sure it would be a breach of license terms, as almost any piece of commercial software carries clauses against that, including stuff about not altering the software (and data)nor in any way altering the behavior of it, except through builting useraccessible settings.
Something rather more amusing would be class lawsuits (or whatever its called) against the cheaters & cheatmakers/distributors. There's got to be thousands and thousands of ppl looking to give some pain back after having to deal with cheaters.

Largo said:
maybe rev.eng. isnt by default forbidden by law, but im pretty sure it would be a breach of license terms, as almost any piece of commercial software carries clauses against that, including stuff about not altering the software (and data)nor in any way altering the behavior of it, except through builting useraccessible settings.
Indeed, but that doesn't mean that Epic has any evidence they entered into any such agreement, they could say their 5 year old sister clicked the accept button the EULA. I doubt that the licence is even legally binding, but yes that is it's intention. The DMCA itself makes reverse-engineering potentially illegal.

Largo said:
Something rather more amusing would be class lawsuits (or whatever its called) against the cheaters & cheatmakers/distributors. There's got to be thousands and thousands of ppl looking to give some pain back after having to deal with cheaters.
Giving pain back is the way to go, but technology interlaced with extremely dodgy laws which have worldwide repercussions, is not the way to do it.

Put cheating into a RealLife® anology, and you get sports: ranging from jogging for fun (single player) to racing against your mates in the park (public servers) to the olympics (league matches).

We don't file law suits against athletes which get caught using steroids, or the countries they represent, or the people who gave them the banned substances or the people who manufactured the drugs in the first place.

In the olympics, the athletes are randomly checked, and all the medal winners. Every time the games is on, athletes get caught cheating. This has been going on since the ancient greek times (I think..:confused:) - it's not online gaming which has introduced this new problem called "cheating".

Some law suits aren't going to help you as a player on the servers, and I can't see it benefitting any of us at all in the long term. The cheating and botting problems will never go away, until a time that your game is remotely downloaded by your tamper proof hardware, with a limited interface - so you and no dirty hax0rs can get their hands on it. And even then it will be far from perfect!

Suing your customers isn't a sustainable business model!

One wonders what the reaction of the judge will when asked to make a teenage boy pay $500,000 and spend 5 years in prison fo cheating in a computer game :rofl:

Indeed, but that doesn't mean that Epic has any evidence they entered into any such agreement, they could say their 5 year old sister clicked the accept button the EULA.
lmfao, they all say "By clicking this button, you agree to the...blah blah blah".... I always tab to it then press Enter :P

would be more efficient if they made em pay small ammount imo that way there would be a chance of succeeding. Also heared a rumour that helios was an epic employee n got fired.

" Suing your customers isn't a sustainable business model!" .... pfft!!

If those "customers" choose to behave like idiots, then sue them to hell.

And tbh that sports talk really was a BAD example.

Why on earth would that suing-letter-action be a bad idea ?

Enlighten me.

Indeed, but surely it cannot be a criminal offense to "take the fun away from others" or else the world would be in a complete mes.. oh wait..

GURKBURKEN said:
If those "customers" choose to behave like idiots, then sue them to hell.
Again, suing someone for being an idiot, from a comercial company? I can understand YOU suing another person specifically for a reason, such as slander or because I caused you physical or emotional harm. If I buy a deck of cards, and mark them so I can cheat and beat you everytime - should the company who makes the cards be able to sue me for cheating? Isn't this an issue between you and I, or anyone else who plays against me.

Cheating is cheating, regardless of if it is in sports, the olympics, a game of cards, or football in the park. If I cheated in a football game in the park with you and some mates, should you have the ability to sue me? Of course not - it's a amature game of football, with nothing to be won or gained apart from pride. Why should a federal law be invoked to punish such a minor event? Don't you think this is slightly over the top? A league or public match is comparible to a game in the park with your mates, saying a league match == the olympics maybe too much. But too some gamers, a league final match could be just as important to them.

You can't stop somebody cheating, ever! You can only make it more difficult for them to cheat, and check to make sure they aren't and can't. Then you need to be able to do something once you catch them - and in every other sport that usually results in the person being disqualified. Taking it one step further, someone could be charged with fraud/deception or whatever for cheating in a professional football match and making money from it by betting on his team loosing, for example.

Tell me how we would be any better off, if 100 cheat programmers were sued for large sums of money they could never possibly pay? Do you think they would say never do it again? Would it stop other people doing it? The RIAA has been trying this tactic for many months now, yet P2P software is still growing in usage worldwide. Gaming and P2P may be 2 completely different things, but this hopefuly shows how generic the DMCA is, and the multitude of things it can be applied too. The last big DMCA case involved garage door remote controls FFS.

The DMCA, the same law which Epic is using, allows a maximum of 5-10 year in prison and up to a $2 million fine. Source. :eek:

I'm not supporting the cheats, I am saying this is fighting them in the wrong way, and will be completely ineffective. I also know that cheaters hit a nerve, and certainly cause a lot of people to get pissed off. So please do not take my comments as an attack against people who think cheating is a big deal. EPIC published this story (the original I haven't read, so I could of been trolled) to be proud that they are attacking cheaters and cheat coders and doing something positive, I see their usage of the DMCA as a bigger negative thing, which has a negative impact on billions of people worldwide.

I'm also rambling on and tired.. so I'll spout more nonsensical posts tomorrow. :smash:

(can't u tell martz finds it a touchy subject:lol: ) mwoa depends tho i think if they'd sue for tha ammount a lawyer would cost the opposition then that gives a clear enough signal. no need to try n make half a million + i assume this is indeed a warning.

.Terror. said:
yes but its still good that there trying aint it ?nobody likes cheaters :moon:

actually i thought the same, but if everybody hates them... where do they all come from?
There are soooooo many cheaters arround the world in allmost every fucking game... :(
Pretty annoying and gives me a headache everytime i think about it... :hangover:

Dunno about reverse engineering. I was working at a games company called Codemasters in the uk in 1989 and we produced some games and hack products (MIcromachines and the Game Genie among others) The Game Genie, which enabled you to cheat your way though games with various "codes", and the four games were all created by reverse enginnering the NES and so Codemasters won their cases against Sega and Nintendo., a shitload of money, yummy:)

So I don't hold out much hope.

Reactions: Popioul
1. Where is this 'illegal website' located?
Can US law nail them where they are hosted? (country)

2. Epic can ruin them financially by taking them to court. If they're a small community they will break immeadiately.