Call for drug legalisation by Police Chief [Long boring post alert]

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

www.telegraph.co.uk

By Sam Leith
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 20/10/2007

Richard Brunstrom, the Chief Constable of North Wales, seems to me to be an admirable man. It would be easy for him, politically and socially and in terms of his own career, to toe a downbeat or crowd-pleasing line. Instead, he annoys selfish motorists by arguing that prosecuting people for speeding is a reasonable thing to do; and - still more impressively - he is prepared to tell the truth about drugs.

Earlier this week, before the Home Office concluded its review into drug policy, Mr Brunstrom's local police authority supported and forwarded to the Home Secretary a series of recommendations he summed up as follows: "If policy on drugs is in future to be pragmatic not moralistic, driven by ethics not dogma, then the current prohibitionist stance will have to be swept away as both unworkable and immoral, to be replaced with an evidence-based unified system (specifically including tobacco and alcohol) aimed at minimisation of harms to society."

Now, to say that the war on drugs has failed is not an especially brave thing to do - though, if you are a senior police officer, it carries more in the way of risk than if you are, say, a newspaper columnist answerable only to the invective of your readers. The dogs on the street know that the war on drugs has failed; the sniffer dogs on the street, come to that, are experts on the matter.
advertisement

What seems to me particularly admirable about his remarks is that he not only identifies prohibition as unworkable, but also as immoral. He's right, and it needs saying.

There is not a single moral argument - not one - for the prohibition of drugs. It is a fraud, and a bore besides, to pretend otherwise. Yet the spectre of moral censure has long distorted proper discussion of the subject. As long as drugs are regarded as a "scourge of society" and a "corrupter of innocence" - as long as the "pusher" takes his place alongside the paedophile in the bestiary of macintosh-clad menaces at the school gates - they remain politically toxic.

At the same time, there are strong moral arguments for their legalisation. Our whole social and economic set-up is based on the idea of the right to private property, and at the very base of that - at the very plughole of our legal system and the fountainhead of our freedoms, in the form of habeas corpus - is the ownership of your own body, and the right to do with it as you damn well choose.

Taking drugs - any drugs at all - cannot be in and of itself an immoral act; except under prohibition, inasmuch as it is arguably moral to obey even an unjust law, and, much more pressingly, inasmuch as by buying drugs you are contributing to the criminal economy that sustains a whole range of moral abuses.

So, away with the moral argument. The moral argument is, as I say, all on the side of legalisation. But the blinding light of moral certainty is the province of saints and fanatics.

The arguments against prohibition are also practical. They are that it doesn't work. The war on drugs is such a failure it makes the pacification of Helmand look like the Entebbe Raid. Cocaine - once available only to glamorous celebrities such as Frank Bough - now drifts about us like snow; ecstasy, which back in the day cost north of a tenner a tablet, is now a couple of quid a pop.

Drug-related crime is through the roof, gangsters are swimming in cash, and our eradicationist efforts abroad - against the poppy harvest in Afghanistan, say - are costing lives and damaging any hope of winning support from the local population.

But after this, Mr Brunstrom and I (hesitantly) part ways. For the practical argument against legalisation in Britain, things being as they are now, seems to me insuperable. I don't doubt that a legalised and regulated drug trade would be infinitely better than the situation we have now. But the question is how to get from here to there.

If Britain were unilaterally and radically to alter its policy - surrounded as we still are on every side by, and intimately involved in trade with, prohibitionist nations - what effect would that have? We would become the crack-den of Europe; the clearing-house and transport hub of a global trade that remained substantially illegal, and that brought with it, in a concentrated form, all the problems and miseries of that trade. It would be a macroscopic equivalent of Brixton's muddle-headed experiment with decriminalisation - in which demand was encouraged and supply criminalised. That had the advantages neither of moral clarity nor of reducing harm.

The case for legalisation would need to be made Europe-wide, at the very least. And that, I'm afraid, is where things start to get trickier.

its a sensible seemingly researched piece of journalisam unlike all the scare stories of recent months :thumb:

I initially appologise for not having read this post and the relative links in their entirety.
I am 46 years old.
I have lived that full 46 years.
I have known, loved and lost many special people in that time.
It's shit to bury your brother for whatever reasons.
The debate of the legality of drug use/miss use is in my opinion simply another political tool recieving lip service from whatever government is in power at any given time.
It does'n't change.
Free thinking educated people however, can at their discretion choose to manipulate their perceptions of their environment to better suit themselves.
Hardly the crime of the century, is it.
We all need a break...

It just occurred to me that proposals and so on are irrelevant, since politicians don't really want positive social changes, they want to be in power and stay there. They must realise that a policy of drug legalisation will be an automatic vote-loser with the older generation(s), especially since those people are the most likely to vote. So, no matter how much sense it makes to legalise drugs in the UK, the politicians would rather have the votes than the sensible policies. This might be the biggest obstacle that such a change will have to overcome if it is to come into effect.

Last edited:
Wise words there Useless, applicable to all levels of politics I guess.

No decisions ever get made which are democratic, just democratic elections of people who use their position to further their own career.

I'd like to think that eventually these parliment coffin dodgers will be replaced by the younger generation who support these policies. However, these people probably grew up in the 60's - so in the logical world you'd expect them to have a tolerance to it, rather than an intolerance.

I agree with only one point on the quoted articles Brunstrom/Leith's view. The current system is not working.
Yet, they don't dwell as to why it is failing, but I'm sure my view as to why it's failing is very different from theirs. I’ll leave that to a different discussion though.

I see their view as completely shortsighted, particularly the moral/ethical argument approach. Somehow, they simply occupy themselves with the personal consequences only, ignoring the main factor that drives these laws: society repercussions. A good analogy is what Brunstrom strangely quotes himself (strangely as in it contradicts his view), drinking and driving. Sure, the person drinking is just looking for a good time, but that doesn’t justify running over someone because you weren’t thinking straight. Misuse chance is the idea here.

In my opinion, any hallucinatory or artificially emotion inducing substances use, particularly the ones that affect a person’s judgment, should only be administered in controlled environments. That is the only way you can avoid abuse and minimize harmful effects on innocent bystanders. As to how you administer this control, it’s a different matter, but the point is you cannot leave the decision to the subject itself without taking the appropriate measures and monitoring their behavior during the process.

Sure, in a perfect world, every human being would be smart enough to know what’s good for him, as in not rely on/abuse a substance use as a means of fun, while at the same time making sure to avoid harm to others from it. The sad reality is that the “herd” is just looking for a quick “high getaway” without any thoughts on consequences or others, hence the drama follows. They like having the luxury to get a shortcut at their disposal to a “happy and rich moment” for “free”. It takes a whole lot of self-discipline, knowledge and good qualities to do it the right way and for the right reasons…

In fact, in my opinion, because these substances, particularly strong ones, stimulate egoistic and self-centered emotions quite heavily, they tend to affect someone’s personality, and in the end, the society as a whole, unless the subject has an already well developed and strong character (hardly the case with the most common scenario, teenagers). Experimenting on yourself is a very delicate process, and you better be greatly qualified for it. I won’t even get into the health side effects that it might have.

The fact is most of the drugs in this context have had a huge negative impact on this world, and I fail to see how legalizing their use does anything to minimize that. Crime consists of weak body/mind individuals, and “smart” people banking on them. Drug induced crime is no different. Legalized guns are no better. Greed will always feed the industry based on this, as long as such decisions are seen as ethical. The free form might be different in shape, but the end result is still the same, value corruption.

I’d like to emphasize that I am in no means condemning people that might have used some kind of drugs in their life. I believe curiosity is part of the human spirit. It’s why, how and what you do with it that makes a difference.

I have said for years that they should legalise and control drugs and take the power away from drug dealers. Will cut crime and make the country a safer place.Also with regards to Heroin the current situation is laughable , Clean > Heroin > I wont get addicted > Fuck Im Addicted > Doctor > Points Towards Local Centre > 2-3months wait list > 5% quit 35% Methadone 60% Back To The Smack.

Heroin wrecks and destroys familys and communitys and in all honesty the current situation would not be hard to better. Should be put in the hands of professional people who the addicts can go too and get there smack free and then it can be controlled and eventually the levels they take reduced and hopefully clean once again. Instead of the addict mugging yer granny , or robbing your elderly parents house while they lie in there bed , mugging your kids at knife point for there mobile phone and 70p in change.

Also if Heroin was controlled by goverment and medics do you think youd see your local doctor standing outside your kids primary school giving out free wraps of heroin ? I think not... end of story

@Squirrel

The argument is that society already faces huge negative impacts because of the prohibition of drugs. The same can be said for alcohol, we have dedicated and licensed places where it can be consumed or bought to take home. Most of us know what its like to be drunk, not all of us become alcoholics after our first sip. Those of us with weak characters are able to become addicted to the high it offers. That's human nature. And thats legal already.

So, where do we have a line drawn? Why prohibit some methods of enjoyment and not others. The effects drugs have on society are much, much, much greater due to prohibition than they would be if people were allowed to consume whatever they wanted for free. If the people who were either dependant or hell bent on taking a drug have to resort to crime to feed their habit - then society loses. We lose every day in the current situation, yet we are familiar with dealing with it.

An example would be 'Mr Jones' who is a working professional in a city. He earns £50k per year, drives a nice car and lives in a desirable area. In the middle of the night, someone looking for the money for their next fix smashes his car window and steals the radio/stereo head unit. Jones gets up in the middle of the night, calls the police, has to call his insurance company, has to find an alternative method to get to work and also the time to get his window fixed.

Mr Jones had to pay the excess on his insurance to repair £100 worth of glass in the window, and another £100 for a replacement head unit. Factor in the Police time and his own time wasted, and also that his insurance premium will go up next year.
Call it £500 worth of damage that the criminal causes to make £10-£20 selling the car stereo. Then add in the fear factor, etc etc.

So Mr Jones had to indirectly pay £500 so that a heroin addict could earn £20 and get high. The fact that the heroin doesn't actually cost this much to produce means that the dealers are also making a profit. Because drugs are illegal they are 100x more expensive.

Now the million dollar question. If Mr Jones had a hypothetical choice, would he rather pay £1 - £10 for heroin (indirectly through taxes and provided by doctors that give it to the user). Or would be prefer the scenario above and pay an extra £500 (AND his taxes) because he doesn't agree that drugs should be legalised? Or he has a moral judgement that "drug addicts are scum, someone needs to sort them out, and why should I pay for it".

Whatever his reasons, it's false economy to deal with this situation, the way we are doing so at the moment.

There couldn't be a worse scenario than this. We all worry about the negative impact the legalisation of drugs would have on society - yet we fail to recognise the negative impacts it has on every single person in this country, every single day - already. We need to mitigate those consequences and by making drugs freely available to those who would otherwise commit crimes, they cease to commit crimes.

So there are 2 different areas which impact society:
  1. When someone takes drugs
  2. When someone buys drugs
These are 2 very different areas.

1) An extremely low minority of people will be effected by heroin users taking drugs. They take their hit in a squat/run down house/under a motorway and pass out or walk around being lethargic.

2) An vast majority of us have been effected by someone buying drugs in the form of:
  • Drug user obtained the money needed to pay for it by committing lots of petty crimes.
  • Youths lurking in hoodies on street corners selling drugs.
  • Gangs protecting the same street corners with violence to make sure their drugs get sold and and not those from another gang from another area.
  • Illegal importing and smuggling of drugs in people on so many levels (heroin in condoms swallowed, HGVs with hidden compartments, freight containers etc etc)
So I see absolutely no logical reason why anyone would object to someone getting high on drugs since it so rarely effects their life.

I can see a lots of reasons why someone would object to users buying drugs, it's this action which causes the negativity in society in so many forms.

It just occurred to me that proposals and so on are irrelevant, since politicians don't really want positive social changes, they want to be in power and stay there. They must realise that a policy of drug legalisation will be an automatic vote-loser with the older generation(s), especially since those people are the most likely to vote. So, no matter how much sense it makes to legalise drugs in the UK, the politicians would rather have the votes than the sensible policies. This might be the biggest obstacle that such a change will have to overcome if it is to come into effect.
Unfortunally that's true.
It doesn't matter how much sense a new point makes, it's all about the meaning of the voting majority (in most cases: the older generations).
Main reason why i never vote in elections.
Politicals are power-addicted gimps, no matter in which party.

It doesn't matter which smart objectives they have before they are in power, when they finally have it, they look and say what most voters wanna hear.
And when they don't do what voters say, they do what Lobbies told them to do (church, industry, etc).

Anyway, legalising drugs can be very helpful to minimize purchase-criminality.
Saw a documentary months ago, where somewhere in Germany there was a program from the government to give free and clean drugs to addicts over a periode of 6 months.
All addicts gained weight, increased their health-status and decreased criminality.

Unfortunally it ended, because it "cost" too much and some lobbys protested against it.

Last edited:
Martz, good points, but here is the problem I think you, Bart and that general camp misses. It seems to me you separate the people in these classes:

1. Addicts (usually unstable, dangerous people, no matter how much they pay for a fill, hope you agree with me here.)
2. Casual users (people that consume it for “fun” every once in a while, low chance they hurt others, but still a lot higher than class 3 below!)
3. Non-consumers.
4. Traders/Sellers (organized crime, profiting on lucrative prices because of very small/tight control on supply).

Now, I agree with your argument that legalizing drugs would reduce negative impact of group 4, which is in fact a good improvement over the current system.
Also, group 1 negative effects would also see some improvement, assuming though that it’s available to these people in a limited, monitored way, similar to what I was referring to in my last post.
Now here’s where the model starts breaking down. We kind of ignore the effect on groups 2 and 3, and also fail to recognize a fifth group, which I would call 5. Suppliers.

OK, let’s take group 2: Would it be unreasonable to assume that if they could easily buy the drugs for cheap at a drugstore, they would be a lot more likely to consume more? They don’t have to bother anymore with where to find it, high prices, shame or fear. Doesn’t this increase the chance they hurt others while “high”, since they will get high more often, while at the same time increase the chance they end up in group 1 (addicts) ?

Group 3: Very similar to above, but now anyone, I repeat, anyone, can go on and try it out whenever he likes it. Sure, the chance that he ends up on group 2 is small, and group 1 is even smaller, but keep in mind group 3 is the largest, so we still increasing the overall damage. Not to mention that age is a huge problem here, because young generations get damaged a lot more physically/mentally, since they are still developing, and are very prone to taking quick and wrong decisions. You only need to take a look at drinking stats to see that.

Group 5: I see this one becoming huge at this point, compared to a very limited number now. We’re talking about making this part of the normal pharmaceutical industry, which as you can imagine spreads in a very large scale. Do you feel comfortable with huge humanity effort/resources being spent for producing such things as heroine/cocaine and million other horrible drugs, just to get people high? Don’t you think that could be better spent in a much nobler cause, such as cancer research and so on?

Also, I stand by my moral/ethical view of the hard-core substances value corruption that I believe affect the society as whole.

Again, you make a good point on minimizing risks from groups 1 and 4, but I believe the overall effect is worse, when you take into consideration the relationships between groups, the size of them, and the psychological/social effects on individuals. By the way, I’m always taking this on a global scale, not UK per se.

Now, I wish we had actual figures to estimate how much we can go in legalization reforms before we get hit with all the negative feedback, but I see it as a very risky move, unless we keep a very, very tight control and monitoring assets on the process, which in a way defeats the whole point of legalizing it.

I don’t have a proper model for a solution yet, and I doubt I’d be able to say it here with these means, but it does involve some measures that you propose. Everything would be a lot easier/better though if the need for drugs was not there in the first place, I hope you agree with that :)

Last edited:
Martz, good points, but here is the problem I think you, Bart and that general camp misses. It seems to me you separate the people in these classes:

1. Addicts (usually unstable, dangerous people, no matter how much they pay for a fill, hope you agree with me here.)
2. Casual users (people that consume it for “fun” every once in a while, low chance they hurt others, but still a lot higher than class 3 below!)
3. Non-consumers.
4. Traders/Sellers (organized crime, profiting on lucrative prices because of very small/tight control on supply).

Now, I agree with your argument that legalizing drugs would reduce negative impact of group 4, which is in fact a good improvement over the current system.
Also, group 1 negative effects would also see some improvement, assuming though that it’s available to these people in a limited, monitored way, similar to what I was referring to in my last post.
Now here’s where the model starts breaking down. We kind of ignore the effect on groups 2 and 3, and also fail to recognize a fifth group, which I would call 5. Suppliers.

OK, let’s take group 2: Would it be unreasonable to assume that if they could easily buy the drugs for cheap at a drugstore, they would be a lot more likely to consume more? They don’t have to bother anymore with where to find it, high prices, shame or fear. Doesn’t this increase the chance they hurt others while “high”, since they will get high more often, while at the same time increase the chance they end up in group 1 (addicts) ?

Group 3: Very similar to above, but now anyone, I repeat, anyone, can go on and try it out whenever he likes it. Sure, the chance that he ends up on group 2 is small, and group 1 is even smaller, but keep in mind group 3 is the largest, so we still increasing the overall damage. Not to mention that age is a huge problem here, because young generations get damaged a lot more physically/mentally, since they are still developing, and are very prone to taking quick and wrong decisions. You only need to take a look at drinking stats to see that.

Group 5: I see this one becoming huge at this point, compared to a very limited number now. We’re talking about making this part of the normal pharmaceutical industry, which as you can imagine spreads in a very large scale. Do you feel comfortable with huge humanity effort/resources being spent for producing such things as heroine/cocaine and million other horrible drugs, just to get people high? Don’t you think that could be better spent in a much nobler cause, such as cancer research and so on?

Generalisation
Please explain how Group 2 and Group 3 (the vast majority of the population) are currently affected by drug addicts or casual users? These are the normal people who do not do drugs at all. How are these groups affected by people who take drugs? I believe these groups do not experience negative impacts by drug users for the simple reason that the action of getting high on whatever drug is done for personal and selfish reasons.

The negative impacts on these groups is all because of the illegal sales of the drug, and also the addicts who will commit crime to get them. Someone off their face on crack is typical portrayed in the news something like "foaming at the mouth, high on crack and being violent..." Crack might change someones attitude, but if that crack head wasn't looking for the money for his next hit - he wouldn't be commiting crimes in the first place. Chances are he'd be at home being high/tripping.

So whats the problem? Why not let people get off their faces?

If the argument is violence or the attitude of people on hard drugs then we need to ban alcohol. Simple as that. I've already established that there are no negative impacts from a user actually injecting/smoking/swallowing drugs.

There are negative impacts on purchasing and distribution.

We can't live in a society with double standards whereby some dangerous chemicals are allowed and others not. Who are you, me, or anyone, to decide what is and isn't acceptable to consume? I could drink a bottle of bleach and die in hospital. There are many legal damaging products available, so the argument about health care, tax money and a user living or dying again is purely an emotional reaction to how we've been brought up with laws that prohibit us from doing whatever we want.

I'll say it again, drug usage has little to zero impact on vast majority of us, we're just emotionally charged when we think about druggies and how they indirectly make our own lives bad.

Also, I stand by my moral/ethical view of the hard-core substances value corruption that I believe affect the society as whole.

Again, you make a good point on minimizing risks from groups 1 and 4, but I believe the overall effect is worse, when you take into consideration the relationships between groups, the size of them, and the psychological/social effects on individuals. By the way, I’m always taking this on a global scale, not UK per se.

Well I don't think I did a very good job of it, but I believe that your arguments above, against drug legalisation, are not entirely valid. We can't just find 1 reason why we don't like this system and throw the baby out with the bathwater. We need to figure out how to make the approach perfect, in an ideal world. Practically, it will never happen since the population is so engrossed in their own private worlds and their material possessions. They can't be bothered standing up for what they believe in. They think "why should I get involved, I can keep a low profile and smoke pot in my house without bringing any attention to myself".

They won't risk their middle class life style and everything they've got into debit for to try and help a common cause. It's only when people are oppressed that they riot and cause change. And thats not likey to happen anytime soon, although we'll see how hard the world recession hits us soon.

Now, I wish we had actual figures to estimate how much we can go in legalization reforms before we get hit with all the negative feedback, but I see it as a very risky move, unless we keep a very, very tight control and monitoring assets on the process, which in a way defeats the whole point of legalizing it.

I don’t have a proper model for a solution yet, and I doubt I’d be able to say it here with these means, but it does involve some measures that you propose. Everything would be a lot easier/better though if the need for drugs was not there in the first place, I hope you agree with that :)

I think the numbers exist, but they won't be published because, I'm guessing, they do not support the prohibitionists arguments.

For me, it's a no brainer. More people die each year from such trivial things, yet we do nothing to stop it. We have thousands of children die in Europe each year due to industry and pollution, yet we do nothing to reduce the effect this has on people.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on it, yet that opinion is based purely upon "moral" standards which were introduced by law. If the law changed, these people would essentially have to change their moral standards or be hypocritical.

You do make some excellent points Squirrel, and its food for thought. Such as could the money be better spent elsewhere? Well there are lots of areas where money is wasted in the UK government at least. Wars around the world, the millenium doime, money spent on speed cameras. From a purely economical point of view - the costs to introduce this would be much, much lower than the benefit to society.
  • Lesser crime
  • Lower numbers of police
  • Lesser criminal court cases, time paying for Judges, lawyers/solicitors
  • Less money spent on prisons and jails
  • Lower insurance premiums for cars, houses and personal possessions
  • Less pressure on hospitals and the health care system saving peoples lives who OD on bad hard drugs
  • Greater safety to people who live in communities where drug dealing is rife
  • More taxes generated from the licensed sale of legalised soft drugs
  • Increased tourism for the consumption of soft drugs (like Amsterdam attracts)
  • More money to protect our borders
  • More money re-injected into the economy and local councils from the taxed products
Then we can focus on real crimes, and over generations I believe that the attraction to drugs will go down. It would become a medical issue rather than recreational. I don't know of many people who use drugs administered in hospitals to get high. There isn't much glamour attached to being sick or ill.

We don't need a model, it's common sense from where I am sitting. Although I do appreciate that other people either think I have lost my mind, or don't think the entire solution would work for whatever reason.

Goggled a bit so I wouldn't have to type so much and I found this: http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/demand/speakout/05so.htm
Read facts 5 to 9.

I believe it would be a disaster in every way if we legalized drugs. A better solution would be to ban alcohol and cigarettes too. Seriously what good does it do? You get weaker health and less quality of life, costs for society are huge, people die meaninglessly and the suffering is great. I say this even though I drink alcohol myself and used to smoke but I wouldn't mind one bit it if it was all banned tomorrow. Screw people's right to chose on their own in this issue because let's face it, people are stupid. History tells us that. Some two hundreds years ago swedes almost drank themselves to death before we had laws that made alcohol less accessible. There's more historian facts to read about if you follow that link above. And think about this, If alcohol would have been introduced today it would never be legalized.

I don't want kids to grow up in a world where drugs are socially accepted or them thinking that drugs can't be that bad since they are legal. Where we have more addicts and misery. Crime, violence and costs won't go down if we legalize drugs as history already can tell us (again, read link). Because if drugs would be legal companies would create a bigger demand so they can sell it thus leading to more users, addicts, violence, costs etc. Compare with statistics for alcohol and then double it and you'll see.

I only started drinking and smoking because my parents did (and "cool" people did), if they hadn't I probably never would have started. So if drugs were legal today, the children who will grow up in homes were people are using drugs more likely will start using them themselvs.

Now the million dollar question. If Mr Jones had a hypothetical choice, would he rather pay £1 - £10 for heroin (indirectly through taxes and provided by doctors that give it to the user). Or would be prefer the scenario above and pay an extra £500 (AND his taxes) because he doesn't agree that drugs should be legalised? Or he has a moral judgement that "drug addicts are scum, someone needs to sort them out, and why should I pay for it".

It's a good point but it does assume that the selfish solution is unarguably the best, which I don't think is true. In Mr. Jones's situation I would prefer not to have to shell out £500 as a direct result of someone else's crime, but that doesn't mean I would be advocating the legalisation of drugs. In those circumstances I would have no choice but to pay the fine, but if I wanted drugs legalised just so that I would theoretically have to pay £450 less the next time such a thing happened I'd think that's the wrong approach. Hmm, I'm not making this point very clearly but I know what I mean... It shouldn't be just so that people can save money.

The negative impacts on these groups is all because of the illegal sales of the drug, and also the addicts who will commit crime to get them. Someone off their face on crack is typical portrayed in the news something like "foaming at the mouth, high on crack and being violent..." Crack might change someones attitude, but if that crack head wasn't looking for the money for his next hit - he wouldn't be commiting crimes in the first place. Chances are he'd be at home being high/tripping.

Yes, he'd be at home, but this doesn't mean he is affecting nobody else. It's not just single loners who become crack addicts, it could be people with families and heavy responsibilities - in fact if you think about it these are the people more likely to seek escape in drugs. And just because he can buy the drugs legally doesn't mean he acquires the money to buy them legally. I don't see why a crack-head who steals a car radio to finance his habit would stop doing it just because he can now buy crack from a shop rather than a dealer. Fs the dealer would probably be cheaper anyway, going by the prices in some off-licences, which is the most direct comparison I can make. Criminals don't discriminate based on what they're going to buy with the money they obtain illegally.

I believe it would be a disaster in every way if we legalized drugs. A better solution would be to ban alcohol and cigarettes too. Seriously what good does it do? You get weaker health and less quality of life, costs for society are huge, people die meaninglessly and the suffering is great. I say this even though I drink alcohol myself and used to smoke but I wouldn't mind one bit it if it was all banned tomorrow. Screw people's right to chose on their own in this issue because let's face it, people are stupid. History tells us that. Some two hundreds years ago swedes almost drank themselves to death before we had laws that made alcohol less accessible. There's more historian facts to read about if you follow that link above. And think about this, If alcohol would have been introduced today it would never be legalized.

Even if the Swedes did nearly drink themselves to death, why is up to the government to prohibit what they can and can't imbibe? Just because in this case (a pretty extreme one if you're right) the prohibitive action had a positive influence, that doesn't apply to all cases. Going by what Martz and others have been saying, sometimes (most times) prohibition in fact does the opposite of what it's intended for. People are stupid, maybe I'm stupid by the standards of some, but I don't see that it's my government's job to tell me what substances I can take or not. If I'm fucking dumb enough to plug my head full of heroin then maybe I deserve to be forced to deal with the consequences. Prison would be the least of my worries if I was truly so stupid.

By saying 'screw people's right' you're acknowledging that they have that right in the first place. I'm not picking at your words, I just mean that it's a right they should have (imo), and it shouldn't be taken away because of some undefined moral standard. I mean why is hash (illegal here) worse than alcohol (legal here)? I don't see that it is, and I can't imagine that legalising hash would lead to the irreversible decline of British society. Like you say, people are stupid, and this will remain true no matter how many substances the government allows / disallows.

Every time I read this thread, its arguments and counterarguments, I get more convinced that drug legalisation has got to be the way.

Generalisation
Please explain how Group 2 and Group 3 (the vast majority of the population) are currently affected by drug addicts or casual users? These are the normal people who do not do drugs at all. How are these groups affected by people who take drugs? I believe these groups do not experience negative impacts by drug users for the simple reason that the action of getting high on whatever drug is done for personal and selfish reasons.

The negative impacts on these groups is all because of the illegal sales of the drug, and also the addicts who will commit crime to get them. Someone off their face on crack is typical portrayed in the news something like "foaming at the mouth, high on crack and being violent..." Crack might change someone’s attitude, but if that crack head wasn't looking for the money for his next hit - he wouldn't be committing crimes in the first place. Chances are he'd be at home being high/tripping.

So what’s the problem? Why not let people get off their faces?

If the argument is violence or the attitude of people on hard drugs then we need to ban alcohol. Simple as that. I've already established that there are no negative impacts from a user actually injecting/smoking/swallowing drugs.

Are you sure about that? Are you seriously implying that all crime related to intoxicated people is because they are trying to get the drugs illegally? You can look at data, such as what Supermic posted, but by simple common sense, how many addicts go around guns wild stealing money? 5, atmost 10 %? What about the rest? Do you think they’re all hiding in some completely isolated box alone, doing nothing but drugs? How many accidents happen because of intoxicated people? Funny thing you mentioned alcohol, it’s a great analogy. Take teenagers under 21 (or whatever age limit your country has). How many felonies are committed as they try to steal drinks, as opposed to simply them being drunk?

I am sure you know that drinking and driving (and intoxicated driving in general), and underage teenagers are among the primary reasons of car accidents everywhere. These people under influence have their attention span and reflexes greatly reduced while driving, hence the huge problems. Now, could you please explain to a mother of a child that got run over by a drunken teen how the alcohol had nothing to do with the accident?

That is just one case. Think about all the other activities these people are involved in. They have families. They work. How many relationships are broken down in pain, how many jobs are not done right, how many social problems are derived because of these people. Can’t you see the number being immensely more than the 5-10% we were referring to? How can you simply ignore this?

What about the huge amount of emotional and mental stress they put other people they interact under? Sure, you can't measure that in money, but it shows in the long term, and in actions indirectly. And how would the new generation grow up, in a society where drugs are considered just a product like chocolate?

These people you refer to don’t disappear in a magical world, and reappear exactly at the same state of mind and place 30 minutes later after their buzz. Your model only works on a perfectly isolated persona world, but in reality all these people in group 1 are interacting with groups 2 and 3, and in fact everyone, all the time. All groups are closely correlated. In general, a person’s actions influence anyone around him, and I hate to say it, but the view that what you do only matters to you really enrages me in today’s society.

There are negative impacts on purchasing and distribution.

We can't live in a society with double standards whereby some dangerous chemicals are allowed and others not. Who are you, me, or anyone, to decide what is and isn't acceptable to consume? I could drink a bottle of bleach and die in hospital. There are many legal damaging products available, so the argument about health care, tax money and a user living or dying again is purely an emotional reaction to how we've been brought up with laws that prohibit us from doing whatever we want.

I'll say it again, drug usage has little to zero impact on vast majority of us, we're just emotionally charged when we think about druggies and how they indirectly make our own lives bad.

I will touch on the “right to say” later, but your analogy to drinking a bottle of bleach is totally irrelevant. With that logic, someone can also jump from a high building, does that mean we can’t build high buildings? We cannot stop people from causing self-inflicted injury, or rather we cannot stop them from being stupid, but we can, and should:

1. Remove any negative effect it has on other people.
2. Try and educate the person that he’s only hurting himself and/or others around him.

Now, these are not easy to do, but certainly removing the means with which such an action is done, is a correct step, as opposed to giving everyone access to do exactly that. With time, once people are educated, then access is no more a risk, but at that point in time I really think there will be no need for it whatsoever.

Health care and tax money are emotional reactions only? Really? Who is taking care of all these addicts in hospitals and clinics? Who is paying them? Who builds the institutions and does the research in how to deal with their problems? Where is that money coming from, the sky? Cmon m8, that is quite a naïve view. Or are you suggesting we just group up all these people, and anyone else that becomes that, put em in a cell, and shoot them in the head?

Again, it’s the indirect links that have the huge impact on the majority, not 1% that decides to go Rambo style on 0.1% of the population.

Here’s another example: How many so called “celebrities or stars” are on drugs? They are exposed and portrayed as life models and ideals to follow! In fact a lot of people take drugs because they think they can be “cool” and afford a life-style that is nowhere close to a normal life. Fortunately, it’s not that easy to find cocaine as it is to find a dress or a toy now, but legalization would change all that. This is Majority that we are dealing with!

Well I don't think I did a very good job of it, but I believe that your arguments above, against drug legalisation, are not entirely valid. We can't just find 1 reason why we don't like this system and throw the baby out with the bathwater. We need to figure out how to make the approach perfect, in an ideal world. Practically, it will never happen since the population is so engrossed in their own private worlds and their material possessions. They can't be bothered standing up for what they believe in. They think "why should I get involved, I can keep a low profile and smoke pot in my house without bringing any attention to myself".

They won't risk their middle class life style and everything they've got into debit for to try and help a common cause. It's only when people are oppressed that they riot and cause change. And thats not likey to happen anytime soon, although we'll see how hard the world recession hits us soon.

Yes, I agree, sadly people don’t care unless they are really visually and directly, I stress, directly, affected by it. You can see that in a family member or friend of a person with drug related problems, but almost everyone else doesn’t give a sh**.

I think the numbers exist, but they won't be published because, I'm guessing, they do not support the prohibitionists arguments.

For me, it's a no brainer. More people die each year from such trivial things, yet we do nothing to stop it. We have thousands of children die in Europe each year due to industry and pollution, yet we do nothing to reduce the effect this has on people.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on it, yet that opinion is based purely upon "moral" standards which were introduced by law. If the law changed, these people would essentially have to change their moral standards or be hypocritical.

Again, I agree wholeheartedly with your first points, but completely disagree with your conclusion. The law is there for the moral/ethical reasons, not the other way around. We think it’s wrong to do something when it hurts the society (hence individuals in it), so we create a rule to avoid that situation from occurring. People’s morals would not change if the law wasn’t there anymore. It would simply remove an obstacle for people that wanted to get it for free but couldn’t before. We put laws in place to guide the ones that do not know what to do (such as the new generations), and guarantee the safety of the existing generation.

You do make some excellent points Squirrel, and its food for thought. Such as could the money be better spent elsewhere? Well there are lots of areas where money is wasted in the UK government at least. Wars around the world, the millenium doime, money spent on speed cameras. From a purely economical point of view - the costs to introduce this would be much, much lower than the benefit to society.
  • Lesser crime
  • Lower numbers of police
  • Lesser criminal court cases, time paying for Judges, lawyers/solicitors
  • Less money spent on prisons and jails
  • Lower insurance premiums for cars, houses and personal possessions
  • Less pressure on hospitals and the health care system saving peoples lives who OD on bad hard drugs
  • Greater safety to people who live in communities where drug dealing is rife
  • More taxes generated from the licensed sale of legalised soft drugs
  • Increased tourism for the consumption of soft drugs (like Amsterdam attracts)
  • More money to protect our borders
  • More money re-injected into the economy and local councils from the taxed products
Then we can focus on real crimes, and over generations I believe that the attraction to drugs will go down. It would become a medical issue rather than recreational. I don't know of many people who use drugs administered in hospitals to get high. There isn't much glamour attached to being sick or ill.

We don't need a model, it's common sense from where I am sitting. Although I do appreciate that other people either think I have lost my mind, or don't think the entire solution would work for whatever reason.

Going back to my previous points.

1. Crime: I see no way in hell we’d see lesser crime, police and everything else with open drugs on the street, we’d in fact see the opposite effect for the reasons previously mentioned.
2. Healthcare: Same thing, a big increase in spending for rehab, clinics, research. Would people OD less if they could freely gets the drugs??? Do we just let them loose on the streets? Even worse.
3. Industry: While it will generate tax revenue, a huge amount of money/resources will be invested to make and market these as part of everyday life, promoting how drugs are so wonderful... Just look at tobacco and alcohool industry campaigns...

Useless, I’m really puzzled as to how you all of a sudden you seem to contradict yourself at the end of your post and proclaim legalization is the proper way. See below for the moral right issue.

Now, I promised I’d get back to the “right-to-say” issue. While I do believe this is a sensitive point, and we now get more into the philosophy realm, I will shortly say this, and welcome comments on its own thread maybe:

On a personal note, would you trust your kids driving home with an average Joe that you know does drugs, as opposed to an educated person that you know is clean, all other things being equal? Do you think their decision making is the same?

On today’s society, sadly, there is no easy way to educate the masses. They in fact are driven by the powerful and corrupted people on top who dictate the life style stereotypes and models to suit their goals, to the extent of almost “brain-washing”. All the media and means of information are composed with that goal in mind. When given a free choice, the mob will always go to what they have been fed to as an easy way to happiness, almost always going for the wrong and dumb option. False advertising and marketing makes the most money in this world, because the majority of people fall for it. There are very advanced psychological models being employed in political/marketing campaigns just to fool someone into thinking he’s making the right decision. Can you really trust the average Joe, being bombarded with this stuff, to make the right decision for you?

In these conditions, we cannot rely on them making the right choices. For the sake of them, and all bystanders, it’s the responsibility of the people that understand these matters to guide the masses, even by force (laws, not violence hopefully), in the proper channel. Of course, the idea is to educate them on the consequences, and gradually give the power back to the people as they get enlightened. Democracy doesn’t work in today’s world. The majority plays in the hands of the corrupted, and crushes down the opponents with the right values. We simply CANNOT rely on the majority’s view now. It has proved to be wrong over and over again…

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Are you seriously implying that all crime related to intoxicated people is because they are trying to get the drugs illegally? You can look at data, such as what Supermic posted, but by simple common sense, how many addicts go around guns wild stealing money? 5, atmost 10 %? What about the rest? Do you think they’re all hiding in some completely isolated box alone, doing nothing but drugs? How many accidents happen because of intoxicated people? Funny thing you mentioned alcohol, it’s a great analogy. Take teenagers under 21 (or whatever age limit your country has). How many felonies are committed as they try to steal drinks, as opposed to simply them being drunk?

I am sure you know that drinking and driving (and intoxicated driving in general), and underage teenagers are among the primary reasons of car accidents everywhere. These people under influence have their attention span and reflexes greatly reduced while driving, hence the huge problems. Now, could you please explain to a mother of a child that got run over by a drunken teen how the alcohol had nothing to do with the accident?

That is just one case. Think about all the other activities these people are involved in. They have families. They work. How many relationships are broken down in pain, how many jobs are not done right, how many social problems are derived because of these people. Can’t you see the number being immensely more than the 5-10% we were referring to? How can you simply ignore this?

Squirrel, I don't have time to read the rest of your post but I will tomorrow. Right now I just want to say to the above that people who want to drink will do so whether it's legal or illegal. If someone who wants drink is faced with the fact that buying drink is illegal, I seriously doubt that person is going to just go 'Oh, darn' and never drink again. He or she will get the drink illegally, and then they have two problems. Martz's point is that legalising the drink doesn't change the nature of the person doing the drinking, it changes the ramifications of buying the drink in the first place. No-one's saying that drinking alcohol and getting deliberately drunk from it has no consequences (if they are saying that then I would disagree with them), what they're saying is that the consequences change depending on whether it's legal or not.

Squirrel, I don't have time to read the rest of your post but I will tomorrow. Right now I just want to say to the above that people who want to drink will do so whether it's legal or illegal. If someone who wants drink is faced with the fact that buying drink is illegal, I seriously doubt that person is going to just go 'Oh, darn' and never drink again. He or she will get the drink illegally, and then they have two problems. Martz's point is that legalising the drink doesn't change the nature of the person doing the drinking, it changes the ramifications of buying the drink in the first place. No-one's saying that drinking alcohol and getting deliberately drunk from it has no consequences (if they are saying that then I would disagree with them), what they're saying is that the consequences change depending on whether it's legal or not.

Well, I'm actually addressing in the above what Martz raised as his concern, as in most problems come from the people that are trying to get the drugs illegaly, and what the negative aspects of drugged people are in general. You're talking on quite a different point. You should have included Martz's quote really, since I quoted it for that purpose :)

Now to your point, and the right context.
No, it is not that simple, as I have tried to explain. It all depends on how much you want to drink/do drugs, as in how far you are willing to go to fulfill that need. Let's take drinks, since it's a common thing now a days. It is far more likely for you to go for a drink, even if you never thought of drinking, if you see drinks everywhere, as in others drinking around you, drinks in stores, in tv ads, in banners, and so on and so forth. With the same logic, a casual drinker, will more likely increase his drinking, since it's now quite a lot cheaper and available, taking less effort/cost. Of course, the change in behavior is small, but multiply that by billions, and you get a huge number. This is particularly a large effect on the young population, when plenty of times they simply don't know how they feel about it, and do as they're told/lied to. Banning such substances by law puts serious obstacles in fulfilling these needs, hence effectively causes people, well a substantial number, to not be bothered with it, and follow other desires and interests in life. Now of course I'm assuming a proper ban, strictly imposed by a proper government, not one that uses the same thing to make money on the side...

I addressed this in my previous post (not the one you are quoting), so please refer to that one also. I'll admit I dislike it when I have to repeat myself, because someone cba to read a previous post :P but appreciate the comments anyway :)

Last edited:
Squirrel.

OK, can we agree that our differences of opinion are all about 1 single point.

"Taking drugs is detrimental to other people around us"

You believe that the action of people taking drugs is damaging to society. I say it is not, the negative effect it has on society is extremely minimal. We need to hash this one out ;)

You mentioned the effects it has on family members. As an anecdotal story I've seen this first hand with a friend of mine. Her older sister was a heroin addict who also had a young child. Heroin destroyed her life and caused a lot of pain to their family. This pain was mostly (99% I'd say) to do with her criminal activity, because she stole from her family again and again to pay for her addiction. She spent the money she received in benefits for her child on heroin. She'd spend the money she was given to go and buy nappies/diapers on heroin. She lied, cheated and did everything she could to get heroin.
She 'mugged' people by quietly approaching them with a used needle and claimed she had HIV and would infect them if they didn't hand over their money. A beautiful girl destroyed by heroin - because - she had to find a way to buy it.

Now if she didn't have to pay for her next hit, she wouldn't be going out committing crimes.

When she injects herself with heroin, she'd only be 'out of it' momentarily then walk round with a glazed look in her eyes, sit down and talk with you - just about. Taking heroin didn't make her violent, nasty, evil. You could have a limited conversation with her. It's when she couldn't get her fix, when she didn't have the cash, that she became one of the most evil people I've ever had the misfortune to meet in my life.

That's my story, thats my angle and it what I've based my opinion on.

Speed/mushrooms/acid/crack all have the ability to make some "crazed" as the media would portray it, however in my limited experience the usage of these drugs is less damaging to society that alcohol. That's my point. When someone is "on drugs" they are not as much of a risk to society as the media and government would like us to believe. It's when they are looking for their next fix, still high or not, that the problems start.

As Useless said, people don't have to steal alcohol because it is freely available, legal and cheap.

If it was illegal and difficult to get hold of, expect a bottle of beer to cost 10x more simple because of the risk involved with handling an illegal product, having to deal it, and also more money can be made because people can become addicted to it.

What I am genuinely interested in are the negative impacts the usage of drugs (not the purchasing of drugs) have on normal every day people.

I'm not saying we shoot people in the head. We currently pay for health care through tax payers money - without taxing drugs. If we taxed drugs we'd have even more money to deal with the repercussions.

My bottle of bleach analogy still stands, as does jumping from a building. Everyone has the opportunity to harm themselves and others around them. Yet we can only do so much to protect them and other people. So why do we bother with drugs when the effect it has on society is so minimal?

Please explain the negative consiquences of taking drugs rather than the buying drugs.

Ok.
I see you guys have the drug discussion going here and i just feel enormous need to write something related to this.
I apologise for my grammar and bad english in advance.Im Croat.:p

First of all id like to mention tho its kinda stupid that i can say for myself that i have much expirience about using drugs you guys talking about here(yes including H).Never did crack tho...
I believe that drug is the plague of modern mankind as well as terrorism.(alcohol is No 1 imo)

To all people that says the drug problem isnt global here are some statistics report for drug usage in the world
from year 2001-2003 done by UNITED NATIONS :(annual prevalence)

-numbers are in millions
-in % the world population for people that are age 15-64

marijuana 146.2 (3.7%)
amphetamines 29.6 (0.7%)
ecstasy 8.3 (0.2%)
cocaine 13.3 (0.3%)
opiates 15.2 (0.4%) of wich HEROIN 9.2 (0.2%)

in all theres 185 million people doung drugs wich is 4.7 % of world population
In world War two 73 million people died witch was 3.7 % of world population in that period of time.

In the 25 to 49 age group, illicit drug overdose is the fourth leading cause of death, about the same number as motor vehicle crashes.I guess u all know that this number is not small.Children as young as 13 have been found involved in heroin abuse. According to statistics in 1999 heroin overdose has caused more deaths than traffic accidents.(United States)

Lets make it this way:alcohol and cigarettes are the No1 killers of people.I personally beleive its true because they ARE LEGAL.So making drugs legal( im not talking bout marijuana here because id be dead allready since smoking 11 yrs every day) would be like releasing a big Pitbull into a cage with small kitties.It might reduce dealers a bit tho..but not more than 20% because the goverments will limit the production and higher the prices .But far more dangerous thing is that drgus will then be easyer to get.Id prolly never got hooked up to cigs if they were illegal.And much reason im not addicted to any drug is they are forbbiden.
Its not that controling the market and production will reduce mortality,as u all know that cigs and alcohol are much appriciated with smugglers .but if drugs get legalised then they are finding the profits greater and the risks of long prison sentences if they are caught much less.
The point about drugs is they need to be stopped from the lowest bottom-the people that are consumers and addicts and not from the global point of view.No matter what politics goverment will accept thing wont change much untill a person doesnt have the level of self respect and health appritiation.Im talking about the level of conciousness.People arent fully satisfied with their lives so they get curious if they can somehow change their perspective of life and existance.I did drugs because of that.Was curious.Was surrounded with people that were curious.
I know good about 50 people that were addicted to H.The thing was quite unleashed after the war in Croatia.One of my ex GF was addicted to cocaine and H in the same time.Now shes got off it.After 2 yrs.She has no teeth tho:s
My mate died 2 months ago due to heart problems that were close related to his H addition 3 yrs ago.Imagine u can buy it on every corner of the street.Would be like 50% people lying on the floors of cities etc..chaos like in SF movies.I can see legalisation ONLY when people changes their perspective of life itself.And its not now nor in this century.Maybe in 3000 years more likely when people are going to be litle bit more level of intelligence KNOWING what this stuff can do.Ffs it can chage your reality so much u can think that youre on the other planet like last time i was thinking when doing LSD. Now im doing drugs occasionally and have tried almost everything.TRIED not got hooked . But like over 60% of people would maybe got hooked up on sumthing.9% of H users end up dead.Its scarry man.And the way it can change person perception is scarry.Not only H.Exctasy for example.Its not for everyone.It havent got affects on me in big amount.I know where are my limits and i live a perfectly normal life.

Imagine the financial impact legalisaton would have on Health services.Production of medicines to get people back together would increase dramatically.And the race for best price and purest stuff between the production would prolly crash worldwide markets like every day.After all the politics ARE No1 drug dealers.For example ill quote one article:"An abundant supply of heroin from Afghanistan, and the drug’s price stability in consumer countries suggest a likely increase in the purity of heroin in coming months, and a commensurate increase in the number of deaths attributed to heroin overdose."-i wonder why:rolleyes:

For drug users, a greater supply of heroin may be a death sentence.And that stands FOR EVERY drug.

So my conclusion is that cure to drug abusing is lying in the hardest thing of all and that is that every person that do drugs must have high level of self confidence and awarness of the consequences for wich we as people of materialism cant do.Key is in the rising of spirit so we wont need them :P

source of the statistics is the World Drug Report by UN and the link to this book is http://www.unodc.org/pdf/WDR_2004/volume_1.pdf

Last edited: