Boomtown update

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

[DWAP]Cat

Aug 13, 2004
Lo Guys, I hate to start a new thread on the BT Assault server issue but ill risk getting hanged to dry anyway.
DO NOT consider this an object for discussion, but merely info (and conseiled oppinion) ;)

BOOMTOWNs main business is TO MAKE MONEY! This among other things, they do on their CS servers and city-membership. They DO NOT make any money on their UT Servers. STILL many ppl (you perhaps) complain about this and that and bla bla bla. But do you PAY anything ? No, I dident think so, I do neither. This is one reason that UT servers, does not have first priority when there is new mods, maps or leagueAS and so. SO the morale hould be: Play on boomtown and have fun - for free.

Just to update ya. There is 3 assault servers, 2 std and 1 custom. All running League Assault 136b and with good scandinavian ping.

I can guarantee you that if noone play on bt servers they will close it down, disregarding the growing lack of UT servers. Normally UT is the 3. most played game on Boomtown but lately UT dropped to a 12. place, IMHO a baaad sign.

About the (in)famous login system. You CAN lock in under whatever pass you want. or you can register as basicmember and get a protected nick - for free ROFL. The system has 2 functions.
1) To give you the possibility to have 3 protected nicks linked to a pass of your choise.
2) Rang a player between PAYING member and NON PAYING member, thus if server is full, kicking the non paying member and allowing the PAYING member to play on the server.

I know you have to register, but it takes 1 minute. No big deal. (on the other hand, you dont HAVE to!)

The login system DO NOT protect against cheaters or players with stupid signs and boxes in their names. Unfortunately!

SO to conclude this post: GO play on bt once in a while, if for no reason, so to let a noob learn from a far better player and keeping the UT society growing. You were all noobs at one time and I'm sure there is allways a better player.

MOST important ! - HAVE FUN and play fair.

Regards to all of you lovely UT Suckers
from a "Dane With Attitude Problem"

DWAP Cat aka Cathy aka d.cat aka Not Yet a Man

kill Ya later

Reactions: Cratos
1. I dunno any of the players I see there - most of them have trouble aiming and shooting at the same time. At first I mistook these people for Lex and his friends under fake nicks, but he assures me it isn't so.

2. The ping sux arse for me - why would I play on a server where I get 150 ping on a good day?

3. They never seem to change the maplist or update them with new league versions or whatever. Not much point playing on a non-league server with loads of league-specific binds. Plus the maps they put on are pretty pish. I don't want to spend my time waiting for a decent map to come up while Guardia and Hispeed get the shit spammed out of them.

4. I think most of us in UTA are happy with the league servers and a few others like R-C, where the league version is kept up to date and the maplist is chosen by someone who plays a lot of assault and knows which ones are good and which ones aren't.

EDIT:

5. (Knew I'd forgotten something) It's full of unbelievable noobs who'd rather console spam and spawnkill than play properly. It's just not friggin fun to play there with people like that. I don't mind players who don't know the game very well, but those guys take it too far.

Last edited:
finally we scandics can have a low ping as most other countries has on the other ut assault servers :)

[DWAP]Cat said:
Lo Guys, I hate to start a new thread on the BT Assault server issue but ill risk getting hanged to dry anyway.
DO NOT consider this an object for discussion, but merely info (and conseiled oppinion) ;)

seems like you lot didnt understood this simple sentences! So you started complainign about ping. YOU dont have to play there simple as that so fo. Let those who want to play their in peace and having fun. It's enough moaning on other servers dont let other hear your crap!

It's posted in a discussion forum and it's trying to convince people to play on Boomtown, or maybe ask them why they don't. So we're giving our reasons why we do or don't want to. No big deal. No we don't have to play there but I think Cat is wondering why people are staying away. And now he's getting some answers.

'Let those who want to play their in peace and having fun. It's enough moaning on other servers dont let other hear your crap!'

I am leaving them in peace - I don't go near BT any more. Hope you enjoy yourself there though.

Boomtown can die now for all I care. It's a shit server full of n00bs and it always has been.

tbh I can think of better servers that I don't need to do any bullshit registering for.

Well, who makes it shite ? Players or ....?

:nod:

Humph said:
Boomtown can die now for all I care. It's a shit server full of n00bs and it always has been.

tbh I can think of better servers that I don't need to do any bullshit registering for.

Boomtown had always for me decent ping, especially custom 5v5 server which existed long time ago (there was BT custom right? :P) But minigun was always BS yes again complain about mini!!!!!!! :P

But if still i have to regiser to play there i cba.

[DWAP]Cat said:
I can guarantee you that if noone play on bt servers they will close it down, disregarding the growing lack of UT servers. Normally UT is the 3. most played game on Boomtown but lately UT dropped to a 12. place, IMHO a baaad sign.

About the (in)famous login system.
dropped to 12th? hm well you kind of answer that one yourself, besides new games gaining ground. You dont have to have a phd in online gaming to figure it out. Since it has already established that it (the login) does little or nothing to keep out unwanted elements but does indeed impose a limit along 3v3/4v4 or something if there arent any 'city' members, i dont find it hard to imagine where most of the utas clanners go, which is ofcourse the open clanservers.
Its a question of options. PPL can play for free at the expense of the clans who graciously put servers at our disposal, without any annoying limits or logins. Im pretty much spelling it out now, but for most of the league that means the bt servers are unattractive, so why are giving us this lecture? You could just have said, "hey guys, we have new 3rd boomtown server - 10plr limit, same logon system - with custom (league) maps, check it out!".

Just wondering, since u didnt mention it, do you have any professional relation to boomtown besides admin duties at the utas servers?

btw: re quote, im reminded of another post i made in an earlier thread... login->inactive->close, maybe you remember it.

I didn't mind playing on boomtown when I wanted some Standard action, but its clear that noone likes the login system. You can't force people to like it. I suggest you find a better way to make your money. If that means shutting down the servers, then so be it. But you can't force people to like something they don't. What about sticking some advertising in the game? I've seen some Counterstike servers have adverts in the actual levels (although not getting in the way). Maybe a big Coca-Cola at the start of Guardia wont hurt anyone, and they will play there. Or maybe just one when you enter the server. My point is, your marketing strategy is wrong (tbh I can't see how you make money out of player registrations anyways). You can't blame the people for that.

@ Largo,

I cant agree about "login --> inactive --> close"
Lets say i4games, do you know this community? They host public CTF, iCTF, TDM, BT servers, they got them a lot, you have to register first to play there, registration can take you a lot longer than 1 min, but still, best server with custom maps 14/14, BT 12/12 BT2 12/12 etc... They got really great servers, and there worth register, no noobs, etc.
They also host some clan servers, i remember i was on y@k clan server and had ping 75 under F6 from Poland, never happened to me before on non-polish server:D
Registration isnt something what makes servers closed, cause if uta would use some registration system, i bet ppl could follow it. My point of veiw :)

AnTi said:
Registration isnt something what makes servers closed, cause if uta would use some registration system, i bet ppl could follow it. My point of veiw :)

But surely you can't say that "as soon as Registration starts, all the servers are empty" is a coincidence?

Krieger said:
Tell me 'WHY' registration is so hard for people?

Simple question.

Who said its hard, ppl got choice... connect to server and play or connect to server and register 1st and then play..

Given the choice between playing straight away on a decent server with good maps, or being forced to register before you can play on a less good server with less good maps...I'd pick the first one.

See, Boomtown is running League Maps now. Good maps or bad maps?

Still: 'WHY' is it so rejective to register?

Same simple question.

I just was on BT... 160 F6......... OMDZ GO AWAY :p i have shit connection BUT ffs with this ping i wont hit shit with 6 rox loaded :x