Audio problems

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Raft^

»MayHem«
Nov 20, 2004
Hey guys,

I got 15,6 GB of 720p. videofiles and the good thing is I can play them at the quality is just awesome. However, after 3-5 minutes of watching the audio starts running out of sync and somehow goes faster than the video. So I end up watching stuff and hearing the audio from a scene or 2 later, which sucks.

I've been playing around a bit with the audio settings, but I was not able to make it any better. :(

I got CCCP, Matroska(haali mediasplitter) and RealAlternative2.0 and I have no problem playing anything else (MKV's or mp4 or w/e type of file RMVB's) naja, just the 720p. ones have this problem.

What can I do to overcome this!?:o

Yeah, VLC is the way to go. Does it happen with 1080 videos as well?

This happens to me too in Win7 using Media Player Classic. VLC or GOM Player won't have that problem. It's a problem that MS know about but - guess what - they haven't fixed. Hi Mym :wave:

I use VLC player but I still got the problem... (and I prefer windows media player classic) :P

Never heard of GOM player, so ill google it (or you post me a DL link useless :D) and I don't know martz I never had problems with other vids (though I do not know if I ever played 1080 ones as I usually dont check this, it just happens that 720p is mentioned in the filename so :P)

GOM Player

Might also be a codec problem, try downloading MediaInfo, this will tell you what each codec is being used by each video, the bitrate, etc. Might be that you have to configure ffdshow video codecs to help, I've had to do this a few times.

720p / 1080p videos tend to have huge bluray level bitrates and resolutions, so it's much more likely to slow down when you play them on your PC, because the CPUs are having to handle much more data per msec. Plus of course the audio at the same time which can be almost as large. MPC is not that great at handling these, which is why people go with VLC for watching blurays and DVDs.

If you're having the same problem in VLC you can dload HDTVPump, a VLC plugin designed specifically to improve performance on HDTV videos. Problem is I can't remember how to install it atm, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Another point, if you hear the audio steadily all the way through with no breaks, but it's out of sync with the video, the audio isn't the problem and so there's nothing to fix there. It's definitely the video settings. Update directx, try different card drivers, maybe even play with default CPU affinity for MPC.

Also, try changing your Media Player Classic settings to this:

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Nice, that are some good things for me to try. It is indeed the case that the audio is steady (no breaks) so must be video then! I'll change the settings to those and update some stuff. I'll keep this thread updated afterwards!

I doubled checked!

Changing my windows media player classic settings makes it worse (within seconds audio is ahead of video) I also tried GOM player but then the audio starts breaking from the start.

With everything on default settings in windowsmedia player classic it is equal to VLC, but both start getting out of sync in 3-5 minutes. Hmm I opened one of the things in Mediainfo and it gave this:

mediainfom.jpg

But I am a noob with settings and stuff so I have no clue where to go from here.

I'll try the VLC thing next!

Long shot but it might be that the file is encoded wrongly in the first place, which means decoding it would make no difference to the syncing. The problem might be that the audio is encoded with a variable bitrate, this causes all sorts of problems when it comes to re-encoding or decoding, it will almost always be out of sync. Put it this way, every time I download an. avi file I re-encode it in VirtualDub and have to use TMpgEnc to convert the audio stream to a constant bitrate :angry:

Anyway, what that screenshot is telling you is:

Matroska container file with 1 video and 1 audio stream
H.264/MPEG-4 video codec (AVC part) which both MPC and VLC can handle fine
AC-3 audio - same
Bitrate of 3459, which is low-end DVD quality but which shouldn't be a problem if your PC is in any way decent
1280x720 resolution / aspect ratio, which is pretty big but not too much
Audio bitrate of 384, which is really high

MediaInfo doesn't let you change the properties of files btw, it just tells you what they are.

In MPC, try going into View > Options > Internal Filters and checking Matroska.

Do you have ffdshow installed, maybe through the K-Lite Codec Pack?

what are your PC specs? if you are low on CPU power, there is nothing you can do, i think.

(even tho hdtvpump sounds neat - but does vlc use directshow? i thought it had its own codecs. --> so i think media player classic (without the 'windows', i call it mpc) would be the application to try it with!)

also i read - quite a while ago but still - that mpc has its own h264 codec, which was said to deliver quite some performance. when i tested it, i was able to play some h264 files properly, which - in vlc - ran like you describe it . ( my hardware is very slow. and i love HQ gamemovies :( ). but then again avc is not h264 so... (OR IS IT?? i think it is?? did you try the latest version of 'mpc hc'? ah, yes! i think you have to use the "home cinema" version of mpc to have that mpc-internal h264 codec! give it a try? make sure to disable all ffdshow filters and h264 decoders, etc. you should then be able to see, if mpc-hc's codec does the trick. maybe even disable these haali/matroska splitters and all that if you are using them atm... cause maybe mpc can also handle the container itself.)

oh and: as the file is a proper (is it the dimension release?) i doubt that the file itself is the cause. i am relatively sure that it is a lack of hardware power. maybe even ending all kinds of tasks running in the background might help.

good luck :)

I have ffdshow installed, I think it came with Matroska or CCCP, anyway the icons show up always when I open something in MPC or VLC.

I have this problem with all 720p files not just a single one/series.

I got 1 GB ram and 1,60 Ghz, hmmm.

I am going to try some of taki's suggestions :D

well, it's twice the amount of pixels
( http://2.gp/duut, http://2.gp/duus )

and most importantly it's MPEG-2 vs. H.264/MPEG-4 AVC at very high bitrates.

there are so many cool gamemovies (especially quake 3 ones) that i cannot watch in 720p :( . i get exactly what you describe. i have a Pentium M 1.5GHz in my laptop, so that makes me think we are sitting in the same boat. and i have stripped my windows down pretty much..... dunno what else to do...
i have 18 tasks running after a fresh boot... still :(

btw: http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/DXVASupport.html
so... maybe not a possible solution for you/me after all :(

Man, what a bummer. I guess I can :wave: my 15,6 gb goodbye then and redownload it in lower quality. :(

I'm using a laptop too atm, but when I get back in NL I will know exactly how to pimp my MPC though, so thanks anyway :)

Last edited: