ATI Radeon 4770HD...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
Anyone got one of these or thinking of getting one? I want one and just wondered if anyone could recommend it. Its reviews say it's insane value for money, and at least it won't hang my PC like my NVidia card currently is :\

4770 is a great card considering price imo and it's worth to get it.
If you want a card for UT strictly then yeh probably nvidia should be your choice, if not go for 4770, it runs other games really well.

4770 also consumes less power and doesn't actually need extra power, you could easily run it with 400w power supply.

Personally ive got 4850 but that because back in the summer there werent many 4770 around, cards started appear around september so when i bought 4850 i had to buy new power supply too :p:

If your used to nvidia stick with them

I always had nvid saw an ati that specs wise was great bought it and was disappointed with ut performance and looks

2 days later I bought another nvidia

I certainly wont get caught again by ati

also with gfx cards you should stretch your budget as much as you can

after all you normally keep them 12-18 months

so if you pay £180 ish for one its cost you 50p per day for a years fun

now thats value for money ;)

I've had ATI and Nvidia cards in the past but after the recent episodes with this Nvidia card I've had enough of them. Constant screen freezes and BSOD's, even with the drivers that come on the disc. Is there any support for this error on the Nvidia forums? No. Bad service so I'm done with Nvidia and going back to ATI with whom I've never had any problems.

I can't remember what that particular bit says but I do know it's always one of two possible errors:

IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL

or

nv4_disp.dll has stopped working (this isn't a BSOD, just the screen hangs for a while then my resolution switches to VGA mode and won't go back)

Usually it doesn't BSOD though, it just hangs. The sound keeps going and the mouse will move but nothing else. I have tried everything I could find on the internet to fix this but no. It shouldn't happen with a new card and new drivers which is why I'm so annoyed at Nvidia now :(

Also two errors repeatedly appear in Event Viewer after I've rebooted from a crash. One mentions ftdisk and another mentions my network adapter not having enough resources.

Faulty card or faulty power supply. If it doesnt crash when CPU is under a lot of stress outside of a 3D enviroment then its likely to be gfx card.

The ATI card is good value for money, had ATI and Nvidia in the past usually alternating when upgrading and they are as good/bad as each other in the long run.

Agree with MyM, my last 3 cards were nvidia and never had a problem with them. The cooling it totally over specced and even flat out it doesn't make a great deal of noise.

What's the brand Useless?

I have seen people buy 'pre-overclocked' nvidia cards, and suffer from exactly what Useless is seeing, major freezes and BSODs, though typically in more 3d-intensive games than UT.

Only fix was to clock it back to nvidia defaults for that board.

Moral of the story - don't buy pre-overclocked cards, no matter how reliable the brand.

It's Nvidia 9600GT, I have a 750W PSU cos I knew that would handle it. I don't overclock it and I used Rivatuner to try and boost the fan settings (though it won't let me do it automatically). I dunno how to change the overclocking if it is overclocked at all. But I've been on the forums and checked and there are threads and communities based around this particular nv4_disp.dll error. No-one seems to know how the hell to fix it and the company themselves are doing nothing about it. I can't believe so many people have faulty cards. Anyway I'm through with Nvidia cos this is shit.

The crashes always seem to happen when I do something with Firefox. It's only once crashed during a game, most of the time it's when I open a new Firefox tab or something, and if FF isn't running at all I feel safe cos I'm sure it's not going to hang. Seems to me like it involves a conflict somewhere between my network adapter and my card but I'm buggered if I know how to fix it.

Its unlikely to be made by Nvidia, should be a manufacturer listed somewhere on the card.
I did have an nvidia 7800 that after a while insisted on crashing randomly, took me a while to find out that somehow it had decided to overclock itself and so was becoming unstable and crashing, wasnt long after that the card decided to go tits up.

nv4_disp.dll is a driver file for the card, so any problems with the card, the driver, a program that has compatability issues witht hat version or anything that affects them will cause an error report with that file indicated.

Could be a resource conflict if it only happens in certain circumstances

I used the nvidia BIOS editor to adjust the fan delta so it spins faster than default. Should be able to do same and set clocks to defaults (assuming it is overclocked by factory)

So how would I check if it is overclocked and tone it down? Sounds liek the one thing I haven't tried but it's hardly a high-end card, why would they assume I want it overclocked? I don't ever want to overclock, I can't afford to burn out my components.