AS-Vampire for pug (second try)

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

html

<B>When i grow up i wanna be like Gandalf The Grey
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
im doing as MyM suggested posting this in the pug section, sry for posting in the wrong section but i couldn't find this sub-section of the forums again and im a forum noob.

I like vampire even more then siege 3, and my one line description of the map would be. Fast paced, intense, open areaed with limited launch capabilities and shock oriented.

It's average assault time is 2:00 - 2:30 so its really a fast map with the last 2 objectives being very hard to defend.

also i saw that theres a remake of vampire on some server (dog custom and dfp i think) and i think the original vampire is just great the way it is, and that point has been established over the years in NA since vampire has always been on our pugbot and will always be. and for those wondering NO siege 3 never was in NA pugbot.

im pretty sure it would be a fun addition to the pugbot and if ppl dont like it then bye bye vampire!

from the other thread and discussion with some ppl i've seen some other points...

1) Many people fall into the excuse "good for iAS crap for std".

First of all, you're not saying why and as far as my UTer brain goes insta can be fun on some maps that are very hard to assault otherwise like overlord or astheno making the 75%+ of the maps easier to assault (in many cases due to massive spam reduction) except i guess the launch oriented maps like bridge and siege.
As i've said and anyone who really played the map knows, its really fast paced and not hard to assault at all, in fact on even teams i don't think i've ever seen a full defence.

Also you COULD prefer a map in iAS then reg if the weapon/item layout of the map was crap... well imho its pretty good the way it is since its already a popular map in some parts of the world.

So please if you can find another way that im not seeing for loving a map only in iAS and not std please tell me cuz I sure as hell can't figure it out.

2) twnz said he didn't like it because it was too "open areaed". Nothing i can do about that, thats a question of taste for every assaulter, but i think the majority of the pug community would like vampire still.

3) torp said "Without doing any proper testing I can see myself that at the start theres a rocket launch straight to waterwheel, 1 ob gone. Launch straight to the other switch, ob 2 gone. Then at the end it can either be done superfast or its spammy bullshit." as he's pointed out that wasn't proper testing... i'd say playing the map 100+ times from 1v1's to 6v6's is proper testing, and if you don't believe my word just ask any other NA assaulter like lekitto squirrel sonic diplomat d3migod etc...

torp is wrong for most of his first glance:
waterwheel: no there can't be a launch from start to waterwheel, why? because the offence have a delayed spawn kinda like the bunker objective in desertstorm, only in desert its quite useless but in vampire it gives time for defence to get in position and spam the entrance and have some people back at the waterwheel. so first its near impossible to pull off a launch without killing the first people upfront spamming shock and rockets. and EVEN if you pull a launch all you can do is land in the water and on any decent team theres a guy with a shockrifle there waiting for you. (how easy is it to shock someone in the water?) waterwheel is still easy to assault because offence spawns closer to the objective then defence... after the first run. so they just need to rush it kill D and gg the obj is gone. Yet if defence have a very lucky backdefender (like i've been many times) its possible yet unlikely to hold waterwheel for 1 min 1 min 30.
the switch: the most launch vulnerable objective of the map but once again, in the bestest launch ever you will only land 1 dodge away from the objective and there is always at least 2 to 4 people with a shock at an optimal combo distance from the switch so it comes down to skill to see if the launchee gets the obj or not. the switch is the easiest objective to defend.

both end objectives as torp said are spammy yet assaulted very fast. since defence only have pulse and after that goo and mini. there's 2 ways for the last objective and i think on fair teams the longest i've seen it held it about 45 seconds. usually its gone alot faster then that.

don't get me wrong people, admins started to add new maps in pugbot and i think that was really fun to have fresh things to play on. sincethey are now seeming to want to add new maps on a regular basis im only suggesting the best maps i know in my huge as-map experience. Vampire as given us much fun in the past and i would be pretty happy if you guys could enjoy it too.

Last edited:
my only experience of Vampire is in iAS and it is a good map then. I think it's a gr8 idea to try some new maps on PUG (e.g.Dungeon) and I would like to try Vampire on std weapons.

As I said, no proper testing, on played it on Naat Pugs and from my experience in those, both times I've rocket launched someone at the very start after the wall is destroyed and they get the water wheel. After that I have launched some1 from behind the house on the far left and they have got the switch. Fair enough if this isnt always the case but its all I have to go on and I've played tis map 5 or 6 times on Naat with the same outcome.

i obviously wasn't on defence in any of these pugs then :P

any defence that lets you get water with a launch is pretty awfull... its soo easy to shock ppl in that small river....

on offence for water you should just minigun the defence since you spawn closer to the objective anyway just run over the defence and u get it with time unless they are very lucky...

launch to switch don't land you directly on it and a defence that knows what its doing should stop you more or less 80% of the time pretty much depending on their skill level and if they are being shot at by someone else or not.

if you did launch succesfully 5 times in a row gj!

but from what i've seen of euros in general they are far better on defence then we are so don't expect to pull off these launches in a pug if the map gets there :P (at least not 100% of the time for sure)

pykenike said:
misery made some changes at vampire which made it better for stnd... i remember the millions of healthpacks in the original.
afaik the map author never allows changes to be made to his maps.

I've known the map author Doc_Edo back in the days

and he made 2 maps that become pretty popular, Gladiator (a BAM) and vampire

gladiator had some abuses possibilities and a fix of some objectives was made by someone else because Doc_Edo was already gone from the UT scene.

I think the fix for vampire sux,

what i noticed was a notice everytime someone goes in the tunnel, wtf duh? u KNOW ppl are gonna come through there plus when they come out they are stuck in the water where then can barely go up and down its still easy to shoot them.

they disrupted the kicker at the plank for the door obj, wtf thats one of the funny things of the map why remove it? its already super ez to get door with a rocket shot from the right so why remove a funny toy if it doesn't make the map easier to defend

I don't exactly remember the changes that we're made to the healthpacks but yes there are many in the orig version and it contributes to making the map faster to attack imho. It's also a good way to stay alive on defence if you have a lot of ammo. Imho these healthpacks are a lot of fun (its always funny to combo someone who just took 3 healthpacks) but I guess it might not be to everyones liking.

P.S. that would be Doc_Edo riding the giant cow in as-afterburnerbeta (for those that know the map) somewhere in 2002 according to the file information.
cowboydoccq0.jpg

Last edited:
Tbh, I quitem like AS-Vampire.
It has some nice things and almost everyone played it a few times so noone will be all that moaning about it like at siege3. Lets put this map instead of evolution and I'm not sure if dungeons is still in the pugs, but put it back in plz and erase some maps like hispeed and stuff ;)