[Acronis True Image] Backupfile bigger than real data?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Bart

Mister Mediocre
Jan 10, 2002
Germany
[Acronis True Image] Backupfile > backuped data?

Made a backup of my system with Acronis True Image 11.

DId that succusfully uncountable times on other machines before, but this time i get an interesting issue.
Backuped partition C (80GB with 51GB free space = nearly 30GB data) with the vista system on it.
Now after the backup process i noticed that the image file is over 50GB big.

hmm, 30GB data and over 50GB imagefile?
After the first time i thought i made just a mistake (selected wrong disks, etc) so i repeated it, this time with caution, but again it came out so big. :\

Anyone who want to give a wild guess?

Attachments

• hm.jpg
    hm.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Oh forgot to mention:
Acronis itslef says that the image will be 13GB big, so dunno why its suddenly so huge :\

- i always use the Boot-CD. That's the best way to have a "clean" image.
- i verified the image with Acronis (which took a long time) and it said the image is okay.
- dunno how to mount it. Didnt found a program that is able to mount tib files :\

Well gonna delete some useless stuff, run chkdsk /f /r and gonna repeat again.

Last edited:
Are you perhaps doing a sector based image?
As in, you're actually backing up every sector on the partition, and then compressing it? That would probably hit about 50GB

Atm it still running chkdsk.

During the 2nd run yesterday i made pictures, too be sure that i didnt forgot anything.
THere you can see that "Sector to Sector" wasnt checked in (the checkbox below the driveslist)

sry for the bad image quality, is my 8 years oldish digital camera :P

Attachments

• IMG00048.JPG
    IMG00048.JPG
    405.9 KB · Views: 32
Are you perhaps doing a sector based image?
As in, you're actually backing up every sector on the partition, and then compressing it? That would probably hit about 50GB

:nod: afaik Acronis is a sector by sector back up of the whole partition, so you should compare the final file sixe to the partition size and not to the amount of data actually in the partition.

like i alrdy said, you can choose if you wanna do a sector-to sector backup.

By default this is disabled. For me i never use this function at home tho.

Found the failure now.
chkdsk found some failures, after they got fixed the image had a nice size (13GB)

thanks for answers :)