5.1 sound from stereo

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Crusader

Jun 8, 2001
Nottingham - UK
Just so happens that my 2.1 speakers that were replaced due to a faulty subwoofer got exchanged for a 5.1 setup :D

Anyhow my dilemma is that Id like to use all my speakers when playing my mp3s .. but as they are ripped as stereo only 2 speakers are used .. is there anyway of forcing all 5 speakers to play music? Some plugin or something?

Thx

Crusader

what mp3 program are you using?

i know theres a nice plugin for winamp, but i cba to search for it and then get to know that youre using another program ;) :D

What soundcard you have?

Prologic was designed to recreate 4 channel (stereo L & R, center and rear) reproduction of a stereo source - the more recent Prologic II versions reproduce using a better method and in 5 channels. If you can change any settings with your Soundcard or on the sub (which I assume everything connects to/from) to Prologic it may use more channels on your system.

You can only feel the benefit if you have a pure 5.1 soundtrack tho, as the audio is in seperate streams - otherwise something has to guess what 3.1 of the output should be.

mp3s on my speakers play thru all speakers (ive got 4.1) - maybe you gotta select a 5.1 set up from the menu - control panel -> sound and audio devices -> advanced at bottom of that menu

should be able to choose lots of different set ups of speakers

hope that helps

Prologic was designed to recreate 4 channel (stereo L & R, center and rear) reproduction of a stereo source

Prologic was designed to give 4.1 (and 5.1 for PLII) from a stereo source that have a dolby prologic matrix encoded on the top of it. Prologic will 'try' to upmix a standard stereo source, but there sno promises that it will sound any good at all.

MY speakers play in dual stereo (IE. stereo at the font, same stereo at the back) mode when playing MP3s, they also have hardware upmixing for CMSS and Prologic I/II.

If your speakers dont have an external decoder, then it gets alittle different, you'll have to look for a software player that will support upmixing (AFAIK).

Creative playcentre can do it, and theres probably plugins for winamp that can do it too.

Using:

Winamp 2.81
Sound Blaster Live Audigy 2 (PCI)
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 550D THX Speakers

As for selecting the speaker setup I already have done that .. I dont understand tho how an mp3 encoded as joint stereo or stereo can play on more then 2 speakers tho .. unless the input input to the front speakers is split and u put 2 speakers on there .. but I dont want to risk damaging the amp ..

Thx

Crusader

Hmm well it seems all 5 speakers work now .. yet for some reason they werent before .. can only think its down to joint-stereo vs stereo ripped mp3s :\

Crusader

Plug-in By: Blade Kristahl design
Author's Comment: Encoding Stereo to Dolby Surround ProLogic
Staff's Comment: Dolby Encoder

Winamp User's Comment:

frank pinkowski gave it
Have SB Audigy Platinum GET THIS posted on October 10, 2002 @ 3:45 PM
I have an SB Audigy Platinum hooked up to a Bose system, and I had nearly no rear sound. This plugin gave me the ability to actually have surround sound. Had to get the plugin from a site in French, but it doesn't matter, this pluggin is wonderful!

try n get it here if the link works....

edit: fuck how do i make the forum accept the link..... /me slaps forum

the link doesnt seem to work if thats what youre looking for get it here

one i found on winamp.com (winamp classic site -> plugins -> DSP plugins), im sure theres more. hope thats what youre searching for

Last edited: