which cpu O.o?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

M®.F®0$T

hai useless ;]
Mar 22, 2003
i want to buy a new pc end this month
but dunno which cpu ;<

Q6600 (quad) or E8400 (duo)
somebody told me that i can overclock the duo till 4 ghz o_O?!
but quad will be the future ?!
ut works normal under quad cpus ?

im confused about fooking cpus ^^

and which of this gfx cards ;P?

VGAPCX 512MB GF9 Sparkle 9800GTX 239,00 EUR
VGAPCX 768MB GF8 Asus EN8800GTX 249,00 EUR

or know a better one ? (not more then 240 €uro's)

thnkx ;]

if u wanna play games, a dual core is your choice.
if u want a cpu for overall working and video stuff then go for a quad.

the E8400 would be the best dual core for the price but its v hard to get em cos they are sold out at almost every shop so I would rather take the cheaper E6850 (same speed, just uses little more power and not that cool as the new wolfdales) or wait till u can get a E8400 or E8300. you can indeed oc them to 4ghz ^^

for gfx I would still take the 8800gt , the gts or gtx are not much better (I think 11 and 18% compared to the 8800gt)
which isnt worth spending 80-100more euro's

also tell us what u rly want to do with new hardware... only games? video edit? which resolution u want to play?

Last edited:
May i advice you to wait abit longer before you buy a new PC.

This summer Intels new processor (Nahelm) and Nvidias new Geforce generation (GT200) will hit the market.
Both products are based on completly new technologies and promises much more performance
Nahelm needs a new sockel, so it aint compatible with todays mainboards.
Bying a whole new PC aint really worth imho.

And even if you don't wanna buy this new stuff, it's adviceable to wait abit longer.
Nvidia will release the Geforce 9800GT soon. It's a card produced in a modern 55nm process, which will perform slightly faster than a 8800GT.

Ah well, if you dont wanna wait:

Forget about the 9800GTX. It's a crappy card.
It has a loud cooler (noisier then any other 8800 card) and is slower than a 8800GTX in very high settings (1650x1400 + AA and AF).
Like Mic suggested with the 8800GT you'll get the best bang for the buck atm.
You can find cheap ones for about 120 euros. Such cards are just about 15% slower than a 9800GTX.

If you wanna have a very silent card, the 8800GTS 512 is a worhty candidate. This card is about as fast as a 9800GTX and due the 2-Slot cooling system it's more silent tthan most 8800GT.

The best performance card is still the 8800GTX. Due its bigger VRAM, huger Bandwitdh and increased memoryinterface no other card (beside 8800Ultra and 9800GX2) has a chance.
The problem is, that this card is based on an older technology (G80), not like 8800GT, 8800GTS 512, 9800GTX which are based on G9x-Chips.

Peronally i wold get a 8800GT with a silent cooler (not default cooler!)

----------------------------------

Although Mic is right with the DualCore in todays games, you've no idea what future games will need.
First games have alrdy Quadcore support and more will come, so overall i would aim for a Quadcore.

Well, think about a Q9300 instead of a Q6600.
Q9300 are based on the newer Penryn core and stay cooler -> need less cooling -> overclocking might be easier.

Last edited:
well, i have recently upgraded to a intle Quad Q6600, i havent OC'd it yet, but a guy i work with tells me that he has one and has OC'd it to 3+ with air cooling and it runs smooths as you like. At the stock 2.4 with my 8800GTS 512 it runs all UT3 maps (that i have played at least) at max framerate with all set to max textures etc at screen res 1280x1024 so I'm more than happy with the rig.

As i know relatively little about the pc's in general I aint gonna say much more, but I'm happy with what I got outta the spec's i mentioned :D

get the quad, you can OC the CPUs any time you like but you can never just add 2 cores on the go - and I assume you don't upgrade your PC every 8-12 months like that, so getting the quad now will make sure you can play all future titles with quad support. dualcore might be that little tad faster right now, but will always have less cores to work with.

the cards you mentioned are basically the same, the 9000-series is just a warmup of the 8000 models in terms of production process and slightly increased speeds, however the technology you care about is really all the same stuff. You should be fine with a 8800GT(S), whichever you want to afford or find nice bundles. You can obviously get the 9x-counterpart to any of the 8x-units which will run a little cooler and maybe some frames faster, but nothing you really need at this point. (sorry bart, the 55nm-process isnt anything that makes the 9800GT shine to justify the wait or extra money)

oh, and.. get the stuff when you want it. you can always wait for the next release of new technology, but then you will be waiting forever. I'd advise you to wait up to a few weeks if there's any real launches imminent, but right now you'd just be waiting your ass off tbh.

oh, and.. get the stuff when you want it. you can always wait for the next release of new technology, but then you will be waiting forever. I'd advise you to wait up to a few weeks if there's any real launches imminent, but right now you'd just be waiting your ass off tbh.

:nod:

New technology is always lurking and kinda around the corner.
Especially as gamers want the latest stuff for MOAR FPS the waiting is futile, just buy it.

My Q6600 runs at 3.6 with about +0.1v on stock voltage, which is pretty small tbh.

I've had it at 4ghz on air cooling, although I doubt I'd run that as a 24/7 overclock without water since the voltage needed generated too much heat.

Clock for clock (per core), the new wolfdales are faster, and most games at the moment will only utilize 2 cores rather than 4, so for now - gaming-wise the E8400s are better, since they tend to clock higher with less voltage (normal for someone to hit 3.8-4ghz on near stock voltages, althought dont go over 1.4v as they tend to degrade if you do).

Although, like others say, there is new tech coming out within the year (or at least it should), so if you're not desperate, dont upgrade yet.

If I was gonna upgrade now though, I'd go for the Q6600, which is exactly what I did.

Graphics-wise I went for a 8800GTX, which is probably the beefiest single GPU solution right now. Although there is the 9800 GX2 and 3870x2, which are dual GPU. If you dont wanna spend on a 8800GTX, skip the 9800 range and go for a 8800GTS (make sure it is the new type, 512 meg G92 architecture), as these are basically the same as the 9800GTX's except with 25mhz less on the clock, which you can overclock yourself easily, and then some.

Clock for clock (per core), the new wolfdales are faster, and most games at the moment will only utilize 2 cores rather than 4, so for now - gaming-wise the E8400s are better, since they tend to clock higher with less voltage (normal for someone to hit 3.8-4ghz on near stock voltages, althought dont go over 1.4v as they tend to degrade if you do).

It's true assuming that the game is the only process running atm.
Game will use only 2 cores but other soft still can use two others. You can run some aditional software like Fraps at the same moment and the game still have 2 full cores for it self.
I would say go for quad.

you can always wait for the next release of new technology, but then you will be waiting forever. I'd advise you to wait up to a few weeks if there's any real launches imminent, but right now you'd just be waiting your ass off tbh.
Well, depends.
i tend to categorize technology developments into two simple groups.
Evolution and Revolution.
Evolutions like the Geforce9 or Geforce2 werent worth waiting.
Revolutions on the other hand like Gforce3, Geforce6 or Geforce8 were worth it.

Revolution products providing features games in the future will support or even require and gives a huge performance boost compared to previous generations.
Evolutions are just rip offs of existing feature sets and give only a small performance boost over older generations.

Everything looks like that Geforce10 and Nahelm will be a revolution.
Especially the new Nahlem architecture will be a very big thing. :)

Geforce8/9 and Core2 on the other hand are out for almost 2 years and we alrdy saw the evolution (Penryn, G9x-Core).
So those old technologies had alrdy their big time.

Overall it's Frosts decision ofc. If he can't wait he should get a quad and 8800GT or 8800GTS, if he wanna be abit more secured when it comes to future and when he dont wanna be forced to do a upgrade in 1.5 years, he should consider waiting.

768 MB Nvidia 8800GTX then ;]

atm i have a AMD64 X2 6000+ and a Nvidia 7950 Gt 512 MB
see here

ye i now fook up ram's ^^
but dont had enough money this time to get dual xD ^^

upgrading from your CPU now is pointless. A X2 6000+ does still a fine job :p:
Just get a PCIe card and save the other money :P

And buy 2x2GB-Kits or only another 1GB. Ram prices are damn cheap atm

Last edited:
also u mean only buy a mainaord with SLI and 2 new good gfx card with 2x2gb dual ram ?
naja cpu .... dont saw that much from upgrad 3800+ to 6000+ ;<

also u mean only buy a mainaord with SLI and 2 new good gfx card with 2x2gb dual ram ?
wtf are you talking about SLI here?
SLI is bullshit imo.
Microstuttering, heat problems, increased power comsumption, increased noiselevel, driver issues and bad game support for SLI.

Anyway, for your machine 2 GB is enough. For Nahelm you'll need DDR3 anyway.
So just buy one 1 GB DDR2 RAM to have the advantage of Dualchannel.
You can get 1GB DDR 800 from Corsiar or Kingston for less than 20 Euro.

naja cpu .... dont saw that much from upgrad 3800+ to 6000+ ;<
^then you took the wrong tools :P

Modern games (Crysis) and 3D Benchmarking tools (3DMark) are mainly gfx-card limited, so insert a better graphic card and your FPS will spread.

For windows and office work like surfing or checking emails you wont see a difference, because every 2400+ can handle it ;P

i dont used tools xD
u bought 6000+ and pluged it in xD
gave the 3800+ a friend of mine xD

oki then new rams and new gfx card ^^

naja , wanted to which from amd to intel
my dad has got a dual core, 2,4 ghz, fookn fast ;<

ok then no cpu ;o

just new rams and a gfx card

8800 but which one =P?

GTS / GT / GTX ? hoe many mb ;P?

HELP ME =o

ok then no cpu ;o

just new rams and a gfx card

8800 but which one =P?

GTS / GT / GTX ? hoe many mb ;P?

HELP ME =o
just look above. All ppl gave you their views and advices.

All of the cards you mentioned are way faster than your current one anyway.

Buy the most expensive you can afford, and think to yourself you did a good futureproofed card. Think no more of it.

While everyone is talking about processors; what family of motherboard is everyone gearing towards with their Core 2's?

nForce 750-790? Intel X38/X48/P35?

Or is the performance gain between the families not as big these days, and it's purely about features?

I think the performance gain is relatively small these days (off the top of my head tbh); however for stability reasons et al I've always recommended using the intel chipsets (p35 is pretty good for everyone; explicitly gigabyte p35-ds3 - keep eyes out for the successor p45 series), they've never disappointed. can't speak from experience about the nforce series nowadays, but checking benchmarks of their high end chipset shows no weaknesses in performance - the X48 series is the main competitor there which I can't comment on. If either platform has a feature you absolutely need, you can't go wrong today, but I've never had problems with intels mainstream p-series.

disclaimer: I'm still running an athlon64 singlecore 3000+.. I've only been installing some setups with C2Ds, not using them myself.